Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quick Question on VRT

Options
  • 31-10-2014 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

I was thinking if you import a car with no engine how do they charge you vrt. I was looking at the thread on importing a mustang from the usa. If the buyer had the engine removed & sent separate you turn up to the nct with your car on a trailer no engine would you get a lower rate you would have all the paperwork to show you imported the car with no engine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

homingbird wrote: »
    I was thinking if you import a car with no engine how do they charge you vrt. I was looking at the thread on importing a mustang from the usa. If the buyer had the engine removed & sent separate you turn up to the nct with your car on a trailer no engine would you get a lower rate you would have all the paperwork to show you imported the car with no engine.

AFAIK it doesn't matter what condition the vehicle comes in the VRT is calculated on it being perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

You can't VRT a non-runner AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

What you are proposing is illegal. As pointed out above, the NCTS people will not allow you VRT a non-running car. In any event, unless you could provide certification (from an approved body) of the emissions of the car, you would be lumped into the highest rate band.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    You can't VRT a non-runner AFAIK

So how does it work with requirement of VRTing within 30 days of imporing?

If you import non-runner, you have only 30 days to repair the vehicle?
    What about people who import classic cars, which they are planning on restoring for few years, before it's ready?

What you are proposing is illegal.
    Importing a car without engine is illegal? How come?

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »

That's not quite what the OP suggested Cinio.......;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

They will not VRT it until it is a viable car. You can't escape this way

corktina wrote: »
    They will not VRT it until it is a viable car. You can't escape this way

Does that mean that if you import a car without engine, it's not due VRT, as it's not viable car?

That's not quite what the OP suggested Cinio.......;)

That's exactly what he suggested.
    I was thinking if you import a car with no engine how do they charge you vrt.

Fact that he wants to import engine as well, is quite irrelevant.

He didn't suggest it Cinio
    He asked how they charge VRT on a Shell. And he was answered
    He then went on to suggest that he could possibly add the engine to an already VRT'd car. And again he was answered.

As for your other question, it has been said both here and on other forums that the 'official' explanation is that you can bring in a non-runner, restore it to a roadworthy condition and then bring it for inspection.
    Although this is not specifically mentioned on either the Revenue or NCT sites it is the answer they will give you if you enquire.
    Feel free to search for any references to this....I found loads.

• Advertisement

Does that mean that if you import a car without engine, it's not due VRT, as it's not viable car?

quite correct, but you will have to pay VRT when you have got it ready for road (if at all)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The obligation to register arises within 30 days of importation for a mechanically propelled vehicle which is defined in section 130 Finance Act 1992 (as amended in 2007) as

“mechanically propelled vehicle” means a vehicle that –
    • (a) has been designed and constructed for road use,
    • (b) is, at the time of declaration for registration, in compliance with any measures taken to give effect in the State to any act of the European Communities relating to the approximation of the laws of Member States in respect of type-approval for the type of vehicle concerned,
    • (c) isintendedoradaptedforpropulsionbyamechanicalmeans,orbyanelectrical means or by a partly mechanical and a partly electrical means, and
    • (d) [is capable of achieving vehicle propulsion at the time of registration, to the satisfaction of the Commissioners,

The collection of parts which is being discussed here is not a mechanically propelled vehcile at the point of importation. The clock does not start runnign at importation. Obviously, once it's rebuilt, it would need to be registered (meaning VRT paid) prior to taking it out on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

It isn't and I never said it was.

It's amazing how some people love to extract something that was never said in order to have a go at someone!

I think what he was saying is that it would be illegal to avoid VRT in this way, I thought it was quite clear what he meant.

It isn't and I never said it was.

It's amazing how some people love to extract something that was never said in order to have a go at someone!

Well, you said that what OP proposed was illegal.
    And I looked at OP's post and seen he proposed to import a car without engine, and import engine separately.
    I don't know how else could I understood that.

Well I just remember from the old days in Poland (before Poland joined EU) importing vehicles in parts was quite common.

As there was horrendous customs duty on cars imported from EU, many importers, were bringing cars in bits - body work separately, engine separate, suspension separately.
    This allowed them to avoid paying customs duty on cars, as technically they weren't importing cars but just car parts.
    Then at home they would assemble car back together, and register it as "own assembled vehicle". So in registartion document, it wouldn't be f.e. honda civic, but "homemade vehicle".

That's exactly what he suggested.

Fact that he wants to import engine as well, is quite irrelevant.
    Well I just remember from the old days in Poland (before Poland joined EU) importing vehicles in parts was quite common.

As there was horrendous customs duty on cars imported from EU, many importers, were bringing cars in bits - body work separately, engine separate, suspension separately.
    This allowed them to avoid paying customs duty on cars, as technically they weren't importing cars but just car parts.
    Then at home they would assemble car back together, and register it as "own assembled vehicle". So in registartion document, it wouldn't be f.e. honda civic, but "homemade vehicle".

....and this is relevant ????

....and this is relevant ????

No, not at all.
    Just wrote is as a little side story somehow related to the subject.
    Completely irrelevant.

Well, you said that what OP proposed was illegal.
    And I looked at OP's post and seen he proposed to import a car without engine, and import engine separately.
    I don't know how else could I understood that.

"and re-install the engine to evade some or all of the VRT" the OP may as well have added. That's where it is illegal. Tax evasion

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

No, you get charged full rate as if it's a complete car - they closed this loophole years ago to stop people bringing in damaged repairables on the cheap vrt rate, and fixing them and flogging them on and making a killing. They now assess based in it's repaired or finished condition.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I think what he was saying is that it would be illegal to avoid VRT in this way, I thought it was quite clear what he meant.

...except he couldn't avoid it, so that's a bit of a non - sequitur. .

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    No, you get charged full rate as if it's a complete car - they closed this loophole years ago to stop people bringing in damaged repairables on the cheap vrt rate, and fixing them and flogging them on and making a killing. They now assess based in it's repaired or finished condition.

So what you're saying Galway is if I arrive on with a rolling shell they will VRT it. I was led to believe ( and neither the Revenue nor the NCT sites say otherwise) that you can only VRT a 'mechanically-propelled' vehicle....even the NCT say that the vehicle must be roadworthy.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

"and re-install the engine to evade some or all of the VRT" the OP may as well have added. That's where it is illegal. Tax evasion

That would not be tax evasion but at worst an aggressive deferral and it certainly does not smack of illegality; when the engine is installed and the car is capable of propulsion, the liability to tax would arise and not before.

Well, but it's clear now this can't be the case, as you can't VRT incomplete car.
    So nothing illegal in either bringing incomplete car, or engine separately.

deleted....more or less what Cinio posted.

Well, but it's clear now this can't be the case, as you can't VRT incomplete car.
    So nothing illegal in either bringing incomplete car, or engine separately.
    Neither the other guy nor me said that it was! But we'll just say you are right and keep you happy eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭homingbird

To Clear it up you cant be charged tax ( vrt ) if you turn up at the nct with a non runner after import so it buys you time to put it on the road. How would this work if you bought a car near vintage & waited until it turned vintage . Its only 200 euro to vrt a vintage car or 1k up before hand.

you didn't get the hang of "clear it up" yet , did you!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

Op I would be inclined to ring revenue and see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

Op I would be inclined to ring revenue and see what they say.

Advertisement