Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Passat steering

Options
  • 27-03-2013 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Bought myself a 98 passat estate 1.9 90bhp last night.

Noticed a slight looseness in the steering. It can happen at anytime. But you will feel it say going around a long bend an your holding the steering wheel in the same position. It ever so slightly jerks.

If your stopped and lock the wheel (either direction) and keep it locked. It'll pulse back and forward.

It's a weird feeling. The only way I can describe it is that it's as if you go over ice for a fraction of a second and the steering just goes loose. Not sure if that makes any sense to anyone or not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭dizbo

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Possibly a broken seal in the steering rack. You shouldn't leave the steering on full lock for anything more than a second or two.......

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I wouldnt pay much heed what the steering does when at full lock. Its not designed to be held at that position at all.
    Are you sure the issue is in the steering system? Could it be that its suspension wear allowing the car to move around depending on road surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 hiltan

Check the seal of the steering rack and also check the suspension and alignment of the vehicle. have you bring to any garage?

Advertisement