Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Books club in athlone?

• 14-01-2013 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

Is there a book club in athlone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

Never heard of one. Maybe you can start one?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

Maybe start a thread. There is a hackspace group start from boards so you might be able to start this club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Thanks for your reply evoke. Is a book club in Athlone something that might interest you. I know two people would hardly constitute a club :p but everything has to start somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Sorry for my ignorance but what exactly is a book club? :confused:What is its purpose ?

Surely anyone can just take up a book and read....at least thats what I do.

Today I just started The Rage.....Gene Kerrigan

Howdi basically you read the book and then you discuss things like the style of writing, how well the book was written, the themes the book covered. Its really for those who have a love of literature. It, if it works properly, allow a greater understanding of literature, an appreciation of the written word etc and ultimately make the whole reading process more enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 zoeenya

I'm sure the library would have one, wouldnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Easons used to advertise one upstairs. Don't know if it is still on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ainelouise

There was one in Easons but to be honest it wasn't great. They only read books from the bestsellers list. Really lovely group of ladies but I'm 34 and am looking for a book club that would be open to reading the classics or historical biographies or discovering hidden gems that may not have made the new york times' best seller list, yet are none the less great. It's like movies....some of the best movies I've seen never made it to our cinema screens. I love to read but it's nice to get another slant on a topic from other like minded people.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

You guys should contact making space in athlone, that type of hippie crap would be right up their alley.

http://makingspace.weebly.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fabulousdeal

Hi there,

I was just wondering if you started a book club in Athlone in the end because I'd definitely be interested in joining that! 👍

• Advertisement

Hi there,

I was just wondering if you started a book club in Athlone in the end because I'd definitely be interested in joining that! 👍

Sorry just tidying up posts I follow on boards and came across this one. No I never did. Good intentions et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Ah, 4 year old thread, that's why I don't remember posting in it! :D

Advertisement