Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nike nick punk art

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Scumbags. There's nothing new about Nike trying to capture every market they can but blatently copying the Minor Threat cover art is going too far. I hope Dischord can sue them over that or at least stop them from using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Nike are a huge company though and they can afford to go to court even though they'd have a weak case. I'd like to think it was just a case of an intern at the ad agency making a mistake and they'll withdraw it and apologise. I'd like to think think that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

rofl you'd like to think Nike aren't doing this deliberately?

Good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Isn't it a very punk move of Nike to steal the image idea without paying for it? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

I heard the design may have been done by a disgruntled employee who was quitting and wanted to get Nike into trouble. I hope Dischord take the scum to the cleaners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

no such thing as bad publicity .....Nike really cant lose here the best the dischord can hope for is to get some kind of pay off
    Nike even tolerates people ripping off their logo cos it still promotes "brand awareness " this would be a win win situation for Nike & personally i cant help thinking its a calcualted move & its pretty obvious / clever/offensive at the same time.

actually !! theyve issued an apology its on the nike skateboarding site.
    http://www.nike.com/nikeskateboarding/v2/main.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Apology is attached

bombidol wrote:
    Apology is attached
    Burn the cúnts

Nike wrote:
    This was a poor judgement call and should not have been executed without consulting Minor Threat and Dischord Records.
    Read:
    We knew we wouldn't be allowed but we used it anyway.

btw somebody told me that Nike now own Converse - which would mean they are makers of the official punk rock sneaker!! ;)

• Advertisement

I dunno. I think as a brand recognition exercise it has been remarkably successful, Nike SB will be fresh on the minds of every skate punk wannabe now but how many will have the grapes to boycott the brand? I find it hard to believe, given the amount of management approval and legal clearance such things require for even small companies, let alone a huge corporation like Nike, that they didn't know what they were doing. I think they knew exactly what they were doing and I think they've acheived everything they could have dreamed with that campaign. Even the "apology" is getting the Nike SB brand and logo onto the desktops of millions of punks worldwide.

Wouldn't mind going to one of these "events" to see how many old skool punks turn up to trash the place. It should definitely be done. Once again. burn the cúnts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

dregin wrote:
    Wouldn't mind going to one of these "events" to see how many old skool punks turn up to trash the place. It should definitely be done. Once again. burn the cúnts.

Amen to that.

Kingsize wrote:
    btw somebody told me that Nike now own Converse - which would mean they are makers of the official punk rock sneaker!! ;)
    The official pop-punk sneakers you mean.

oh yeah, your right..... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

bombidol wrote:
    Apology is attached

Hahahaha. Like Minor Threat?

Then you're all SKATER BOYS.
    Rofflepunkpants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Zyox wrote:
    punkpants.
    That's punk trousers to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Zyox wrote:
    Hahahaha. Like Minor Threat?

Then you're all SKATER BOYS.

Thanks. As I always say, if you're going to make a generalisation then make it sweeping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 biscuit

http://www.nothingnice.com/index.php?pageNum_Recordset2=268&totalRows_Recordset2=271

Nike just done that for media attention. They must have thought they would get away with the obvious rip off of the Discography cover and naming it "Major Threat"... idiots.
    Nike have owned Converse since '99 if i remember.

Ummm... isn't all advertising done for media attention? I wouldn't call them idiots, that was as cynical and impressive a marketing strategy as I can recall. It woulodn't surprise me at all if Dischord were in on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement