Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

stopped by guards today, need advise

Comments

charlemont wrote: »
    Only if the court recieives the correct details ..:D

The summons to court doesn't specify to bring the license either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I'm confused as to why you need to wait till tuesday to find out from the insurance company what you need to know? Is her insurance cert not to hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

This stinks.

Hubby & Wife not insured in each others cars?

Static VCP, all window docs in order, driver asked for DL, insurance etc.

Nah. Something we're not being told here...

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

Anan1 wrote: »
    Rochey18 wrote: »
    Would an open car policy on his policy not also cover his wife?
    It's far more likely that she has the driving other cars extension than that he has open drive.
    Remember though guys, the driving other cars extension, only covers you to the same engine size as your own vehicle.

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    Remember though guys, the driving other cars extension, only covers you to the same engine size as your own vehicle.

.... where did you get that from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

RoverJames wrote: »
    Shane Fitz wrote: »

.... where did you get that from?
    Check your policy... The small print

Are you suggesting that someone insured in their little 1 litre micra, could potentially borrow a 3ltr SUV and their insurance would cover the 3rd party in the event of an accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's either on her insurance certificate or not if she can drive other cars third party no need to wait until tuesday for word from above. If she presumed she could she's a backward and should be off the road and her car crushed to a shell.

I have seen 3rd party extension limited to cars up to 2.0, I find it strange you reckon my policy has the stipulation you are stating as fact. My sisters last car was a 1.3 ka and her extension had no engine size limitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭evanSpiddal

I know with Quinn (now Liberty) I was allowed to drive any car as long as it was insured and NCT'd as long as I had a full licence, been that way since I was 18 (rang them to be sure), and there wasn't any engine restriction as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I know with Quinn (now Liberty) I was allowed to drive any car as long as it was insured and NCT'd as long as I had a full licence, been that way since I was 18 (rang them to be sure), and there wasn't any engine restriction as far as I know.

I'm Liberty as well, and only TPFT at that, and I'm covered for other cars. When I asked them to clarify any engine restriction, she told me "ah just as long as its not a big WRX or something like that". And that was when I was 17 and paying them €2,000 a year.

OP as I said in legal issues before your thread was quite ridiculously censored, she's looking at 5 points, mandatory court appearance and probably a hefty fine if convicted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

With a bit of luck they'll both get prosecuted, wife for driving with no insurance if it turns out she isn't covered and OP for allowing his car to be driven by someone with no cover.

A special category needs to be created for fining lazy dumbasses who can't be bothered to read their own policy and schedule to figure out who is covered to drive what cars. These days they ate written in straightforward English with all the "whereases, wherefores and here-to-fores" gone.

When I was with Hibernian many moons ago, my partner and I named each other as drivers on our respective policies. We saved about £200 a year in premiums and more importantly, we knew because we checked, who was (and wasn't) covered to drive each car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What I don't understand is the mindset. OP has a drink, and wife jumps in and drives seemingly without a thought as to whether or not she was covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Blue850 wrote: »
    Be careful of the third party cover on other cars clause.
    When I was insured with AXA, "driving of other cars" excluded Spouse/partner's car, I had to name my wife on my policy and she had to name me on hers. Also other car had to have tax and NCT which led to more bother with my brother's NCT exempt classic car, AXA couldn't tell me wether or not I was covered to drive it under my 3rd party cover to drive other cars clause:rolleyes:. got named on his policy too...

I've had insurers provide my own insurance plus the tpft to cover me third party on other cars, some specifically excluded cars that would be permanently at the same residence,some didnt.
    charlemont wrote: »
    Only if the court recieives the correct details ..:D
    RoverJames wrote: »
    The summons to court doesn't specify to bring the license either ;)

Isn't it now an offence to not bring your licence to court if for driving offences? punishable by a minimum fine of €1000?
    At least there is some reasonable replies now, earlier people are suggesting very laxly that it should be ok, no problems, but uninsured drivers are a big problem, whether thats just outright refusal to insure a vehicle or blithly ignoring whether they are covered or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Reading this reminds me again how flawed this insurance system is in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

weisses wrote: »
    Reading this reminds me again how flawed this insurance system is in Ireland
    I can't see how any of this reflects on our insurance system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

+1.

Pretty clear in your policy documents as to whether your covered or not. I can't see the problem here.

insure the person regardless what car he or she is driving .... Works perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

That's not going to work.

BX 19 wrote: »

well it works in the Netherlands got my license and was able to drive any car ... This system in Ireland is just pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

It's a measure of the dumbness of many posters that this thread takes 4+ pages....

The solution is to ask for the insurance you want and decide if you want to pay for it. If you don't, buy what you can afford and UNDERSTAND the cover you bought, not rocket science.

Don't forget to ask if they offer reductions for multiple policies with the same company, I saved €100+ that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

well it works in the Netherlands got my license and was able to drive any car ... This system in Ireland is just pathetic different

FYP :rolleyes:

You buy your insurance. You decide whether you want to insure a single car or buy an Open Drive policy. You decide whether you want to name additional drivers on your policy. You decide whether you want to buy a policy that allows you to drive other cars TP.

It's pretty bloody simple TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

A friend got caught out with something similar recently. She was insured in any car, but they didn't tell her she had to inform them by phone when shed be driving another car else she was only third party covered, not fully comp like in her own. Expensive mistake, since she would up hospitalized and they wouldn't cover her.

AltAccount wrote: »
    FYP :rolleyes:

You buy your insurance. You decide whether you want to insure a single car or buy an Open Drive policy. You decide whether you want to name additional drivers on your policy. You decide whether you want to buy a policy that allows you to drive other cars TP.

It's pretty bloody simple TBH.

just the one policy that covers all ... That is simple .... To many threads with to many people being fecked because they didn't know ... Or the asumed something ...All by there own mistake ofcourse .... System is flawed and should be changed IMHO

But I agree OP should have known better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Compton wrote: »
    She'll most likely go to jail for 6 months, driving with no insurance is a serious offense.

Glass definitely half empty :D;):p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

BX 19 wrote: »

it works in the USA

In australia the car is covered 3rd party once it's rego'd (taxed)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

just the one policy that covers all ... That is simple .... To many threads with to many people being fecked because they didn't know ... Or the asumed something ...All by there own mistake ofcourse .... System is flawed and should be changed IMHO

But I agree OP should have known better
    You're not making any sense. The system is straightforward, anyone who drives uninsured has nobody but themselves to blame. Why would people want to pay to insure cars they might never drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭little swift

persons, or classes of persons, whoses liability is covered.

A, the Insured,
    B, any person driving whose driving is covered.

just produce her insurance within the next ten days, and she should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

persons, or classes of persons, whoses liability is covered.

A, the Insured,
    B, any person driving whose driving is covered.

just produce her insurance within the next ten days, and she should be fine.

How does that help? As I read it, it basically says "you're insured if you're insured".

What does it say on her/his specific policies?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

Pkiernan wrote: »
    OP: here is the deal:

Have your wife bring her certificate of insurance and license with her to the Garda Station.

The Guard will see these as being in proper order.

Tell your missus not to volunteer that she was driving your car, just that she was asked to produce her insurance.

When the Guard gives you the all clear, tell her to request the Pulse ID of the entry he will have made in his computer. This will be a record of her visit in case he forgets to properly log it.

Do not worry.

This is exactly what to do....in the meantime if your wife is fully comprehensive then check if the policy also allows her to drive another car third party

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭little swift

AltAccount wrote: »
    How does that help? As I read it, it basically says "you're insured if you're insured".

What does it say on her/his specific policies?

it means once she has car insureance she is covered to drive the car with his concent.

she is covered to drive any car.

Advertisement