Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

maninblack wrote: »
    If I purchase a 3gs off o2 today for example...

Can I just simply unlock it and throw in my vodafone sim card? Is that all there is to it? I really want an iPhone, but dont wanna sacrafice my free vodafone calls (most of my contacts are vodafone!)

If you buy a 3gs off O2 won't you be tying yourself into an 18 month / 45 euro per month (or whatever it costs). Surely that's defeating the whole purpose?

McGaz23 wrote: »
    i just got an iphone that was unlocked to all networks but i stupidly connected to itunes and updated the software!!! I didnt know it would lock it again! does anyone now if there is a way to undo what i did or just unlock it again?

Where did you buy your iPhone?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Greentrees

Very good point bout the contract!! I was considering it but I only spend 20 a month now.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭maninblack

aka_Ciaran wrote: »
    If you buy a 3gs off O2 won't you be tying yourself into an 18 month / 45 euro per month (or whatever it costs). Surely that's defeating the whole purpose?

pre-pay

maninblack wrote: »
    pre-pay

Ok witcha, phone costs a fortune on pre-pay though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Guys , Just unlocked a 3Gs and ran UltraSn0w , It seemed to run correctly but the phone will only pick up O2 still . Any ideas ????

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Did you reset the settings in the "Cellular Data Network"?

Settings; General; Network; Cellular Data Network

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

just purchased and ipod touch from england and it should be ariving soon. will i need to unlock it/jailbreak? or will it be ok to use.

thankyou in advance.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 smythy111

hey, i have jailbroken my 3g and used ultrasn0w to unlock it but it still will not select any network... it tells me i have a restricted network. i am running on firmware 3.0.1 can somebody please help me with this, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Knuger

Just for clarification, Is it possible to unlock an Iphone with out jailbreaking it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Knuger wrote: »
    Just for clarification, Is it possible to unlock an Iphone with out jailbreaking it?

No.

To install the unlocking software, you need to jailbreak.

I can't see Apple Allowing the unlocking software on the App Store any time soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Hello all, Just finished jailbreaking my 3gs and seem to have lost the applications I have built up on it prior to jailbreak. Can I put them back in without putting phone back in jail? How do I do this? Sorry if obvious but want to do so without ending up where I started...

Thanks in advance,

BB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Just sync it as usual with iTunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

hi just wondering what the pros & cons are of jailbreaking an iPhone, if you dont need it to be unlocked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Pros

You have a wider selection of free and paid apps
    You can customize how your iphone looks and what it does
    You can unlock your iphone if you need to

Cons
    Small chance it can brick your iphone
    Extremely small chance that once bricked a factory reset wont fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Rebska

Sorry if this has been covered - but these posts seem to be related to previously unused phones.

I have an iPhone 3G and am eligible for an upgrade to 3Gs. My husband - who signed a new contract with Vodafone two months ago - just lost his phone. I'd like to upgrade and give him my old iPhone. Can/will O2 unlock my old phone or do I have to jailbreak it? Will using the vodafone sim require him to register the phone again (I already registered it)?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Don't think you can upgrade to a 3gs. It's full price or nothing.

O2 will definately NOT unlock the iPhone

Once jailbroken just slip in the Vodafone sim and off ye go. No need to regesistar the iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Homer

OK so I have an old 3G iphone after upgrading to 3GS and I want to let my dad try my old 3G one.
    I have used pwnage to unlock the phone and install cydia. Worked fine.
    However, I put my own 02 sim into it to test and I am getting no network?

Below is a list of step by step instructions as to how to jailbreak and unlock the 3g.
    I have done everything as far as running Cydia but the next line has me stumped?! I have highlighted the bit I am having trouble with. Have looked on Cydia but can't understand where the repo file is or should go and can't see ultrasnow either? All help greatly appreciated!

Ensure you have upgraded to iPhone OS 3.0
    Jailbreak your iPhone 3G using redsn0w or PwnageTool (this will also install Cydia/Icy)
    Run Cydia or Icy
    Please add the repo repo666.ultrasn0w.com to Cydia or Icy. That last “o” is actually the number zero “0”! If you use the letter “o” you’ll get an error.
    Search for ‘ultrasn0w’ in cydia or icy and install ultrasn0w

Reboot your iPhone 3G

Homer wrote: »
    OK so I have an old 3G iphone after upgrading to 3GS and I want to let my dad try my old 3G one.
    I have used pwnage to unlock the phone and install cydia. Worked fine.
    However, I put my own 02 sim into it to test and I am getting no network?
    Try this?
    Dades wrote: »
    Did you reset the settings in the "Cellular Data Network"?

Settings; General; Network; Cellular Data Network
    Ensure you have upgraded to iPhone OS 3.0
    Jailbreak your iPhone 3G using redsn0w or PwnageTool (this will also install Cydia/Icy)
    Run Cydia or Icy
    Please add the repo repo666.ultrasn0w.com to Cydia or Icy. That last “o” is actually the number zero “0”! If you use the letter “o” you’ll get an error.
    Search for ‘ultrasn0w’ in cydia or icy and install ultrasn0w

Reboot your iPhone 3G
    When in the Cydia app, go to "Manage" from the bottom menu; click "Sources"; click "Edit" (top right); click "Add" (top left); and enter the above URL into the source box.

Once this is done, goto "Search" from the bottom menu; and search as detailed above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Homer

Dades wrote: »
    Try this?

When in the Cydia app, go to "Manage" from the bottom menu; click "Sources"; click "Edit" (top right); click "Add" (top left); and enter the above URL into the source box.

Once this is done, goto "Search" from the bottom menu; and search as detailed above.

I owe you a pint my good man!

• Advertisement

I owe you a pint my good man!
    That step had me stumped too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

OP needs updating. You can buy unlocked phones which work on any network in Ireland now. Just insanely expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

So Got myself a 3GS Today its running 3.0.1...

Ran Purple Rain... It Froze... I rebooted but no sign of the 'Freeze' app?

Any ideas?

Anything else I can run to jailbreak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭The C Kid

Hi,

I'm completely iphone clueless so any help is greatly appreciated. Girlfriend wants an iphone for birthday but doesn't want to use O2.

She is Ready To Go with Vodafone at the moment, and would like to keep using that and her same sim. If i buy her an unlocked phone, can she just put in the Ready To Go sim and use as normal. Also what is the story with using the 3g aspect of the phone for internet email etc? Will she have to sign up with Vodafone for one of their monthly data packages?

Many Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

My brother bought a new iPhone upon moving to London, he gave me his Irish one which was on o2, i am also on o2, so i thought there wouldnt be an issue, but i put my sim card in and the iPhone wont accept it. Is this normal? I thought i could use an o2 sim with an o2 iPhone, do i have to unlock it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

I had a quick look at the iClarified site. I'm planning to buy an O2 iPhone and unlocking it after unsuccessfully being able to locate an iPhone in Milan.

There seems to be two main programs that I can see, Ultrasnow and Purplesnow for unlocking it. Which is better and whats the difference? I think the Ultrasnow one is from the apple dev team but I'm not even sure what that is. A bit clueless about it all.

Also, can the 3GS with the latest firmware be unlocked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

Also, can the 3GS with the latest firmware be unlocked?

Latest version is 3.1, and it can't be unlocked yet.

-Patrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Huge problem!! After foolishly updating my 3g to 3.1 - I was left with basically an Itouch. Now though-I tried p0wnage tool for 3.1 to jailbreak it again,because Itunes 9 was telling me it wasn't registered etc.
    Except now, I can't even use it as an Itouch. It just comes up with a Itunes logo and usb connector on the Iphones screen.
    Anyone any ideas what I may have done wrong or how it may be fixed. I just want to get my contacts back asap!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

Huge problem!! After foolishly updating my 3g to 3.1 - I was left with basically an Itouch. Now though-I tried p0wnage tool for 3.1 to jailbreak it again,because Itunes 9 was telling me it wasn't registered etc.
    Except now, I can't even use it as an Itouch. It just comes up with a Itunes logo and usb connector on the Iphones screen.
    Anyone any ideas what I may have done wrong or how it may be fixed. I just want to get my contacts back asap!!
    I think you just need to restore it. I'm assuming you're using a Mac as the Jailbreak is only currently available for the Mac.

Step by step here.

-Patrick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

That guide worked a treat! I didn't realise to hold alt down when it came to restoring it in Itunes! I finally have my contacts back!!
    Much appreciated.

Advertisement