Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

axer wrote: »
    Ryanair are hardly going to be the best option for every type of trip. They cater for a specific market only.

Yea what market would that be? any person willing to leave their dignity at home........singletons.......cos I know I am not one of their target market

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

commuters. people who need to get to regions. etc. ryanair has allowed me to have at least two holidays abroad a year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

c4cat wrote: »
    Yea what market would that be? any person willing to leave their dignity at home........singletons.......cos I know I am not one of their target market
    Those willing to travel light and those who do not require a flying hotel for a 2/3/4 hour journey. Travelling with a family will always be more stressful and more expensive than travelling by yourself.

You driving/ferry example doesn't really include the total cost of driving to your destination. It doesnt include wear and tear, possibility of breakdowns, time spent driving, waiting to board ferry etc etc. I would think the prices would about match in total (if not the car more expensive) but you get the benifit of being able to bring more luggage and the freedom to drive wherever. If you think after all the factors that taking the ferry is the better option then you should take it.

It often works out more expensive to fly to one the of airports outside of a city which Ryanair often flies to but people should always compare the total cost (including time and stress) of the journey between airlines and other travel methods to ascertain the best value. Forget about single charges for this and that - it is the total cost of your specific needs that matters.

I have flown with Ryanair 25+ times in the last few years and always managed to exit the airplane everytime with my dignity intact (I don't see how someone loses dignity from flying on a Ryanair flight).

In fact if I wasn't so cheap I could fly much more comfortably than I could most airlines because I could pay all the extras (including food and drink on the airplane) and still end up paying the same price or less than the likes of aerlingus but I see flights as being equivalent to a bus journey - there isn't even a toilet on the bus that I have to take for over 2 hours to get to the airport.

again, love laughing at the people who think they are losing their dignity, its their little tantrums that cost them their dignity 90% of the time.

zuroph wrote: »
    commuters. people who need to get to regions. etc. ryanair has allowed me to have at least two holidays abroad a year

personally I would rather retain my dignity and preserve the contents of my wallet then have holidays traveling with Ryanair but then one pays their money then takes their choice, I have better holidays going to the UK or europe by car and since I am running my car on LPG I have just realised that my carbon foot print is much smaller then if we fly ryanair, which would be my family's tiny contribution to preserving the sick planet

• Advertisement

personally I would rather retain my dignity and preserve the contents of my wallet then have holidays traveling with Ryanair but then one pays their money then takes their choice, I have better holidays going to the UK or europe by car and since I am running my car on LPG I have just realised that my carbon foot print is much smaller then if we fly ryanair, which would be my family's tiny contribution to preserving the sick planet
    dont get me started on climate change.
    its one hell of a drive to the pyrenees, or perpignan, frankly, i cant afford the extra week it would take to travel.

again, love laughing at the people who think they are losing their dignity, its their little tantrums that cost them their dignity 90% of the time.

its the remaining 10% of the time thats the problem,. Well you have not had to sit on a wet seat that someone puked up on on the prev flight, Other airlines would replace the soiled seat cushions not Ryanair and the smell just makes other passengers want to puke too

dont get me started on climate change.
    its one hell of a drive to the pyrenees, or perpignan, frankly, i cant afford the extra week it would take to travel.

But its a fantastic drive!!!! I have done it a few times to Prades near Perpignan, you really do not know what yr missing

I cant afford the approx 500 euro the drive would cost.
    My parents have a place outside perpignan, and this summer, it cost them much less to fly with ryanair and hire a car for 3 months, than drive down and back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

You don't have much self-worth if flying with Ryanair causes you to lose your dignity.

I want to get from A to B. I'm a "singleton" (i.e., I kept it in my trousers and don't have to take 500kg of luggage on my holidays).

I don't want a cuddle on the plane. I don't need to feel wanted. I don't need to be fed on a short flight. I don't care where I sit. I accept that flights can be late. I can read Terms and Conditions. I sometimes book cheap Ryanair flights without being 100% sure that I'll travel that day. I don't ever sit at a departure gate just before my flight without checking if the gate's been changed. I take down my confirmation number because the website tells me to. I can find my way through an airport (and if I get lost I can accept that Ryanair are not to blame).

I am not stupid. I would never book a Ryanair flight to connect with another flight. They tell you not to. They have no spare planes. If the incoming flight is late you will be late going out. Get over it. You paid peanuts.
    If you paid big money for a Ryanair flight you're an idiot. There are lots of other airlines and most of them have websites. If I really need to be somewhere I'll either book with another airline or book for the day before. This is not rocket science.

I don't care if €10 of my fare is CC charges if I can go all over Europe for less than €100 return (€45 return to Sweden in 2 weeks incl. all charges). I've been to dozens of places that my parents only saw in books and that have cost me less to get to than a train fare in Ireland.

It's very simple...if you don't like them then don't fly with them.

• Advertisement

I cant afford the approx 500 euro the drive would cost.
    My parents have a place outside perpignan, and this summer, it cost them much less to fly with ryanair and hire a car for 3 months, than drive down and back up.

your right E500 is steep for one person in one car, and if it was me traveling alone i would fly but not ryanair anymore for me, i'll pay a little more and fly another airline simply cos I hate the way ryanair treats people, not only passengers but their own staff too

your right E500 is steep for one person in one car, and if it was me traveling alone i would fly but not ryanair anymore for me, i'll pay a little more and fly another airline simply cos I hate the way ryanair treats people, not only passengers but their own staff too

So what are you doing on this thread?

You don't have much self-worth if flying with Ryanair causes you to lose your dignity.

I want to get from A to B. I'm a "singleton" (i.e., I kept it in my trousers and don't have to take 500kg of luggage on my holidays).

It's very simple...if you don't like them then don't fly with them.

And for that low priced would you expect to have to sit on a soiled seat that stinks of puke!!!!!!!!! am not saying this always happens but I have been on two flights where I have seen passengers who have had to do this..........is this reasonable if one pays peanuts for their flight..........many people fly ryanair without any probs, but when they do happen Ryanair will leave you without a paddle to get home. IE if flights suddenly get delayed for hours due to tech problems is that reasonable........ryanair thinks it is

So what are you doing on this thread?

Expressing my opinion as a consumer, on a forum about consumer issues and what would you be doing

And for that low priced would you expect to have to sit on a soiled seat that stinks of puke!!!!!!!!! am not saying this always happens but I have been on two flights where I have seen passengers who have had to do this..........is this reasonable if one pays peanuts for their flight..........many people fly ryanair without any probs, but when they do happen Ryanair will leave you without a paddle to get home. IE if flights suddenly get delayed for hours due to tech problems is that reasonable........ryanair thinks it is

This thread constantly throws up instances of people who can't read,

Read my post. THEY DON'T HAVE SPARE PLANES.

So, you pay let's say €50 for your flight. You want them to hire a plane to come to Carcassone (for example) to collect you and your luggage-laden family? To save you 5 hours of inconvenience? (an arbitrary figure but I assume you get the idea).

Are you taking the p1ss?

This thread constantly throws up instances of people who can't read,

Read my post. THEY DON'T HAVE SPARE PLANES.

So, you pay let's say €50 for your flight. You want them to hire a plane to come to Carcassone (for example) to collect you and your luggage-laden family? To save you 5 hours of inconvenience? (an arbitrary figure but I assume you get the idea).

Are you taking the ?

seems you are happy to allow the airline to p1ss all over you when I am not

And they do not have spare seat cushions to replace the ones that passengers puked up on, and yes I would expect them to be able to replace a plane to bring in the 180 passengers due to arrive and to take me and my luggage along with the other 179 passengers waiting to go too, a few hours delay I could put up with, but anything over 5 hrs is unreasonable so if they do no have a spare plane, then provide accommodation until the plane does arrive cos thats the contract I would have under EU Regulation 261/2004

have a look at this link:

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=306&pagetype=90&pageid=4404

but anything over 5 hrs is unreasonable so if they do no have a spare plane, then provide accommodation until the plane does arrive cos thats the contract I would have under EU Regulation 261/2004

Ryanair DO stick to this arangement. find proof otherwise.

And they do not have spare seat cushions to replace the ones that passengers puked up on, and yes I would expect them to be able to replace a plane to bring in the 180 passengers due to arrive and to take me and my luggage along with the other 179 passengers waiting to go too, a few hours delay I could put up with, but anything over 5 hrs is unreasonable so if they do no have a spare plane, then provide accommodation until the plane does arrive cos thats the contract I would have under EU Regulation 261/2004

Cushions? Have you ever flown with Ryanair?

Ryanair DO stick to this arangement. find proof otherwise.

Here is the proof!!!!!
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/jitters-in-the-city-as-ryanair-defies-eu-compensation-laws-493830.html

Need I say more!!!

article is over 3 years old, and at a time when the laws were new. fact is ryanair has more flights ahead of schedule than ANY other airline. with the fewest amount of bag losses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Thats the point I am p!$$ED OFF with having to have ltd luggage and asking family or friends to run you to the airport would cause me to lose friendships especially if it was a 6.30 am flight

why do you think E80 is expensive 4 persons WHEN ACTUALLY FOR A FAMILY GROUP OF 4 ITS EVEN MORE THEN THAT!!! from home to Dublin airport 4xE7 = E28 then depending which airport you fly to, one has to pay at least E10 per person so thats now E68 Now for the return Trip and we are actually upto E132 just in bus fares getting to and from the airports at the point of Departure and destination, Then there are all of the hidden charges that Ryanair will impose . For families traveling to the UK Ryanair is now far too expesive an option. I have found it much better taking the evening ferry crossings. Just drive on to the boat for a 2 hr sailing then staying overnight in a travelodge hotel with nice family rooms for UKP19. So much less stress then dealing with walking kms through dublin airport to get to the scrum to board a Ryanairplane

You are becoming quite irritating in your arguement. You are criticising airport charges, transport to and from the airport, stress of the airport and all that stuff in a Ryanair thread and lambasting Ryanair for it. You are also criticising them for the baggage allowance, when in fact they are one of the best for the amount of carry on, and on par with the rest in terms of checked baggage allowance. So half your arguements are null and void.
    Arguing against air travel and in favour of ferry travel is one thing, but saying air travel problems = Ryanair is just small minded. I flew recently transatlantic with Aer Lingus to the sound of crying babies, and one spoilt child who was screaming (not crying or shouting, but screaming) for hours, but why would I blame Aer Lingus for this? Sick on seats on ALL Ryanair flights? Get real.
    And on your moral high horse with your LPG car - you are causing probably more CO2 on your trip than if you flew there. Natural Gas is very clean, but just as bad for CO2 than any other Fossil Fuel, which is what Carbon Footprint is about. And the ferry doesn't run on water, only floats on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Have you read your link? You're not entitled to accommodation after 5 hours until your plane arrives.

After 5 hours you're entitled to reimbursement if you decide not to travel.

If the delay continues overnight, you're then entitled to a hotel and transfers.

And I've had delays more than 5 hours with non-budget airlines that I've paid full whack for, and still not been entitled to compensation. On the whole, I've had less average delays with Ryanair than most other airlines I've flown with.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Riche670

"Passenger Fee CC" Its the charge for using your credit card to pay. If you used visa elctron, its free. :rolleyes: Its all there in plain sight on the site.

It's not there in plain sight for all to see. It appears on the final screen (payment) added on to what you we're led to believe (until then) was a €40 special offer.

To killbill guy's sarcastic repost of "if you don't like it fly with someone else"... grow-up mate, I'm not going to go off in a huff because I have to pay and extra €20. I merely said it's laughable that they claim in the price breakdown that "Taxes, Charges & Fees = €0.00" yet a separate charge/fee for using my Credit Card to book the flights will cost me €20.

Riche670 wrote: »
    It's not there in plain sight for all to see. It appears on the final screen (payment) added on to what you we're led to believe (until then) was a €40 special offer.

To killbill guy's sarcastic repost of "if you don't like it fly with someone else"... grow-up mate, I'm not going to go off in a huff because I have to pay and extra €20. I merely said it's laughable that they claim in the price breakdown that "Taxes, Charges & Fees = €0.00" yet a separate charge/fee for using my Credit Card to book the flights will cost me €20.

And has anyone got a visa electron!! and do you know anyone who has used one recently on Ryanair's website??? I have and it will not go through as a visa-electron but it will go through as a visa debit with the E5 per euro charger per person per sector booked

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Please read

Ryanair is obviously an emotive subject, but I'm going to ask future posters to omit the climate change argument. Let's just keep to clear facts and figures about Ryanair.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

And has anyone got a visa electron!! and do you know anyone who has used one recently on Ryanair's website??? I have and it will not go through as a visa-electron but it will go through as a visa debit with the E5 per euro charger per person per sector booked
    Then I suggest that you contact the NCA. Is it a visa electron card you have or the halifax card or equivalent?

Biro wrote: »
    You are becoming quite irritating in your arguement. You are criticising airport charges, transport to and from the airport, stress of the airport and all that stuff in a Ryanair thread and lambasting Ryanair for it. You are also criticising them for the baggage allowance, when in fact they are one of the best for the amount of carry on, and on par with the rest in terms of checked baggage allowance. So half your arguements are null and void.

Its not an argument, I was just comparing 2 ways of getting from say Eire to UK . I have taken some 100 or so Ryanair flights over the years but my overall experience with ryanair is its got worse over the years. (in fact its getting that bad I could say riding on a Dublin bus is a far better experience then flying Ryanair) I have found that flying on Ryanair to have become more stressful then flying Airlingus. Also Ryanair are misleading the public in saying that they fly to a destinations when in fact they usually land you some 70 to 100kms away from your desired destination which after adding the final costs of the ground transportation at the arrival point, If I had flown to the destination city's main airport I would have just had to pay a little more for that privilege with less stress. After all if you are flying into Dublin you expect to arrive nearby Dublin not somewhere close to say Wexford. The way they are sneaking all the charges for this and that their rules and T&C are changing so frequently one does not have a clue if they have changed since one last read their T&C even if that was just a few hours ago.

I have seen Ryanair change gates at Stanstead at the very last moment and an elderly pensioner who could not walk at a normal speed and by the time that pensioner arrived at the New boarding gate the plane had just shut its doors and was told she had missed her flight and therefore had to fork out another UKP225 for the next flight. that Pensioner was in tears because she was left stranded because Ryanair could not make an allowance for her, and just basically robbed her of her pension so she could get home

Interesting to note that there are now very few Irish or British cabin crew on Ryanair and I think the reason is very few Irish or British people would put up with the working conditions of Ryanair

You may think Ryanair is great but I see them differently you pay your money and take your choice thats my 2 cents worth now please give me my change

axer wrote: »
    Then I suggest that you contact the NCA. Is it a visa electron card you have or the halifax card or equivalent?

Its is an Electron card issued by Abbybank UK, have you tried booking a flight with yr card?, you should try just up to the purchase point

MOH wrote: »
    Have you read your link? You're not entitled to accommodation after 5 hours until your plane arrives.

After 5 hours you're entitled to reimbursement if you decide not to travel.

If the delay continues overnight, you're then entitled to a hotel and transfers.

And I've had delays more than 5 hours with non-budget airlines that I've paid full whack for, and still not been entitled to compensation. On the whole, I've had less average delays with Ryanair than most other airlines I've flown with.

most of the flights I have no doubt arrive on time. However if you are unlucky to be heading home with just yr last Euro in your pocket and yr Ryanair flight gets canx due to tech problems. Then you might as well wish in one hand that you had booked another airline and crap in the other hand, then see which one gets full first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Just thought I would post my own recent experience with Ryanair.

Turned up for a flight 30 mins before check in close, slight Q forming and girl on desk wouldnt check anybody in. Cue a supervisor type dude who comes out with a clipboard to say that the flight was delayed for at least 3 hours due to weather 'knocking out the schedule' even though the weather was fine on the day in question, granted it was KAK the day before.

Asked him straight out what the chances were of getting away sooner than the 3 hours and he said zero. I went straight home. Wrote a letter to Ryanair and got an email back 3 days later to say they were refunding the full cost of the flight back to my VISA :)

Advertisement