Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equivalent names for Emanuel?

• 18-07-2015 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

In my tree I have an Irish native named Emanuel Toland who emigrated to Philadelphia around 1850, exact origin unknown, Catholic. Any idea what other names he could have gone by?

Surprisingly (to me) this name can be found in Griffith's Valuation paired with Gaelic surnames.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Some Gaelic given names were "paired" with English names as a supposed translation - for example Gobnait is given as Abigail in English.

I'd look into the possibility that Emanuel is used for Manus. It would make a wonderful chain, as Manus is a Gaelic form of Magnus, which arrived here with the Vikings, who themselves borrowed it from the ancient Romans.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,005 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It could have been shortened to Manny or Mannie, it could also be spelled with two m's Emmanuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Some Gaelic given names were "paired" with English names as a supposed translation - for example Gobnait is given as Abigail in English.

I'd look into the possibility that Emanuel is used for Manus. It would make a wonderful chain, as Manus is a Gaelic form of Magnus, which arrived here with the Vikings, who themselves borrowed it from the ancient Romans.

Yes, that is what I was getting at. I thought it unlikely that Emanuel would have been the "real" name of an Irish Catholic born in the early 19th century. I did find one record that may be my man that says "Daniel Toland," but I think that's more likely an error based on miscommunication.

Manus was the one that did come to mind, but I haven't yet been able to find anything to tie the two names together.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,990 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Just a thought - could he have started out as an Eamonn?

Advertisement