Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Church records to go online for free

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

When is this due to be available?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

When is this due to be available?

Three weeks roughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Is there a template available for collating the information?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

pjproby wrote: »
    Is there a template available for collating the information?

What do you mean by this?

Records will be launched on 8th July.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I mean is there a template available, such as an excel spreadsheet, for assembling the various parish's information.As I understand it there is no index, so transcribing the information would be helpful. these records could in theory be used to assemble a street index among other things for example.

• Advertisement

As far as I know, there is no grassroots (pardon the pun) plan to transcribe the registers.
    The registers do not all follow the same format so a template would have a lot of empty boxes. Very generally speaking, the earlier ones will give less information. For example, a marriage from 1830 would probably only give the date, couple's names, a townland address and the name of the clergyman who married them. 20 years later you'd get witnesses plus parents' names on some level. Later still you might even get addresses for all 6 people.

I expect the big companies to transcribe them and make it available on subscription at some stage.

Genealogy Forum Mod

thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I expect the big companies to transcribe them and make it available on subscription at some stage.
    The waters are muddied by IFHF/RootsIreland. Who would invest big bucks in such a project, knowing that such a group already has indices?

I think it will happen. If you already have a sub for Ancestry/FMP, you win. If you are choosing a sub, and one of them has the parishes plus everything else they have, then you're much more likely to choose the bigger selection.

Where Rootsireland has the edge is that most of their records go to 1910-1920, which is a lot later than 1880 and helpful for finding those pesky mothers' birth surnames.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

The waters are muddied by IFHF/RootsIreland. Who would invest big bucks in such a project, knowing that such a group already has indices?

Aside for the recent nature of their records (hat doffed to pinkypinky) their offering is horrid compared to Ancestry, FMP and even Familysearch.

You cannot search sponsors/witnesses, you can only search with a first name and while they note that they have a surname index, it's functionally useless.

In my case my priority surname is quite rare, Brunkard, and is consequently often misspelled. I can tell RI have some of those misspelling not associated with my surname (Brunkord, Brunchard etc.) and to find who these records belong to I have search all categories (births, marriages et al) for every 20 year period (i.e. =/- 10 years so 1700, 1720 etc.) with every letter of the alphabet for a first name.

It's a total chore and, since scans are not provided, the veracity of the transcriptions is circumspect. I've come across records which were extremely poorly transcribed in comparison to the actual original.

[BRAVEHEART SPEECH]

If the LDS create a system for a crowdsourced transcription of these then I'm on board.

These records are our people's heritage and the poor curation of the tax payer subsidised transcriptions must be corrected.

[/BRAVEHEART SPEECH]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

With all the surname variants - have you made sure you're *not* related to Amanda Brunker, at least :p

(I can't confirm or deny that I'm related to the odius radio presenter with my surname due to poor midlands records pre 1880, but I suspect we are; and I do definitely appear to be related to a certain Scottish talent show winner...)

L1011 wrote: »
    With all the surname variants - have you made sure you're *not* related to Amanda Brunker, at least :p

(I can't confirm or deny that I'm related to the odius radio presenter with my surname due to poor midlands records pre 1880, but I suspect we are; and I do definitely appear to be related to a certain Scottish talent show winner...)

That's the fear. I've got things it back to safely to 1835 and hope to get it back to late 18th century when this motherload of recorded awesomeness launches.

At that rate it means we're probably all equally related to her so you can all share the pain! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

think there's some re-routing happening this morning, cant get through to anything on the NAI or IrishGenealogy websites - Census, Church records, Civil records, Wills, Tithes etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Same here Shane

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

All the above working fine for me just now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    All the above working fine for me just now.

same here .. all seem to be back. Wonder if there's a new address assigned in that IP range somewhere ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

*hops up and down*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

So is there anyone else thinking they might leave off looking at the new site until everyone else does? I mean without sounding cynical it's odds on to crash isn't it! Think I'll leave it a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Yep, I'll wait a while longer. Boards genealogists broke Irishgenealogy when the civic records came out so I expect they'll break this one within the first hour! :D (Joking, joking)

Alicat wrote: »
    *hops up and down*

What a vision! :D

• Advertisement

They will have bought oodles of extra server space, I hope. Although it's virtually the same time as last year when they launched the ill-fated first version of the civil registers. Hopefully not an omen.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    What a vision! :D

The excitement :D

520 Reels, with about 390,000 images - some interesting details from the original 2010 tender - see this link. Presumably similar spec. for this process.

Microfilm may be stored in a secure temperature controlled environment. The microfilm equipment must be cleaned between each reel

output images will be have a resolution of at least 400dpi non-interpolated, and 8 bit greyscale

Food and drink must not be allowed in the same work area as the originals and microfilm at any time

Images must be cropped to remove extraneous blank or empty content or border from around the outside of the central image. However, it is not acceptable to crop or lose any of the core image content from the Master image

mod9maple wrote: »
    So is there anyone else thinking they might leave off looking at the new site until everyone else does? I mean without sounding cynical it's odds on to crash isn't it! Think I'll leave it a few weeks.

Yes everybody leave off till later as I want the first go.:D

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Catsmeow

I'm SO looking forward to this. Nearly there now, but think I too will leave it for a few days before paying a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mac222

Im not waiting , if it crashes it crashes to eager to look !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

pinkypinky wrote: »

Tomorrow is D-Day. Can't wait :)

I see it's been quiet on here today....... :)

Everyone holding their breath.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Probably won't see anything until Enda Kenny pushes the big green button...

Advertisement