Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

krudler wrote: »
    There Will Be Blood and Requiem For A Dream are both on the US one now, for some reason Requiem is in 4:3 though?

Both have been on the Irish version since it launched (or thereabouts). Watched RFAD a few months back and am almost definite it was widescreen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Into the White
    Norway, WWII: A group of British and German soldiers find themselves stranded in the wilderness after an aircraft battle. Finding shelter in the same cabin, they realize the only way to survive the winter is to place the rules of war aside.

A decent movie based on a true story. My wife summed it up beautifully as the WW2 version of that Simpsons episode where Homer and Mr. Burns get trapped in a snowed-in cabin. :pac:

Watched it on the US version, but may be available in other regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Separate threads for film & TV
    Hoop Dreams has been added to Irish Netflix. Seriously, my DVD arrived from Amazon on Monday.

The same thing happened a few weeks ago with Unbreakable; I rented it on iTunes a week before they added it. I think I'm just going to wait for things to be added from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Hoop Dreams has been added to Irish Netflix. Seriously, my DVD arrived from Amazon on Monday.

The same thing happened a few weeks ago with Unbreakable; I rented it on iTunes a week before they added it. I think I'm just going to wait for things to be added from now on.

One of the best sports films ever made, probably is the best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I re-watched Drive on Netflix the other night. Still amazing.

Also, has anyone been having problems with Netflix streams recently? I always get them streaming no problem in HD but the last few weeks they are low SD and stuttering. Sometimes if I quit Netflix and go back in the stream is good again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

The DNS boffins must have succeeded because I've had no problem accessing US or any other Flixes since last Friday :D

There Will Be Blood and Requiem For A Dream are both on the US one now, for some reason Requiem is in 4:3 though?

Still, Jennifer Connolly in 4:3 is better than no Jennifer Connolly at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

One of the best sports films ever made, probably is the best
    That's what I've heard, which is why I ordered it. I'll probably watch it on Netlix now and give the DVD as a gift.

"Hitchcock" with Anthony Hopkins is on Canadian Flix.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I watched it on the canadian one a couple of weeks ago. Really is great, I was apprehensive about the running time before hand but it flew by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

This happens to me a lot with PS Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

It's a Disaster: 4 couples meet up for a monthly lunch starring Julia Stiles and David Cross

Its a pretty funny little number something a couple could both enjoy.

Not earth shattering but I enjoyed "Hitchcock", Hopkins was pretty good as Hitch (from what I've seen of the real Hitch) but Johannson, while always a pleasure to look at wasn't particularly well cast. 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I watched Take Shelter last night and really enjoyed it. Michael Shannon was good in an unusually quiet role for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Watched Bernie on US Netflix last night. I quite enjoyed it, stars Jack Black and it's based on a true story of a funeral director in Texas who is very community-centric and everybody loves him and he befriends and starts a relationship with a horrible cantankerous old lady who's husband dies. Won't say anymore but it was interspersed with genuine interviews from townsfolk who knew him making it a sort of half documentary at the same time.

Definitely worth a watch imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

There Will Be Blood on the Irish Netflix is cropped to 1.85 though, some of the best widescreen photography of recent memory too :mad:

Hope they sorted it out for the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Oh I just checked back, they fixed it since. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

e_e wrote: »
    Oh I just checked back, they fixed it since. :)

Stupid netflix, cropping stuff

"What Richard Did" is on Flix Canada now, they are really getting some good new movies recently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"What Richard Did" is on Flix Canada now, they are really getting some good new movies recently.

It also appeared on UK/IE Netflix :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Canada has the best selection imo. It's really good for getting smaller releases and foreign films quickly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The worst film Terence Malick has ever made aka To The Wonder is on US Netflix.

But the worst film Terence Malick has ever made is still significantly more noteworthy than the best film most other directors have ever made.

My PS3 has unfortunately completely given up the ghost after 3 months of YLOD but eventually starting, whats the currently cheapest but reliable wifi method of getting Netflix and USB file playback on to the TV, Apple TV, Roku or Blu Ray player with wifi?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The worst film Terence Malick has ever made aka To The Wonder is on US Netflix.

But the worst film Terence Malick has ever made is still significantly more noteworthy than the best film most other directors have ever made.

I never liked Malick's work, The Tree of Life was the first and only movie I ever considered walking out of. Upstream Color, which is considered very much influenced by Malick is on US Netflix, if you can't get out to see it in the cinema, and is definately worth a watch.
    My PS3 has unfortunately completely given up the ghost after 3 months of YLOD but eventually starting, whats the currently cheapest but reliable wifi method of getting Netflix and USB file playback on to the TV, Apple TV, Roku or Blu Ray player with wifi?

Maybe a ChromeCast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Watched a few films today.

The Experiment - Decent flick with Adrian Brodyand Forrest Whitaker, among a few oother familiar faces. 6/10

The Siege - I love Denzel in most films and enjoyed this for the most part 7/10

Watching The Game now

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

Have a look at the new playstation vita TV coming out does all that and lets you play your vita games on a tv

osheen wrote: »
    Have a look at the new playstation vita TV coming out does all that and lets you play your vita games on a tv

Cheers but I don't play games, am leaning towards this at the moment, has wifi, USB ports and of course Blu Ray playback for 109 euro in Pc World:

61i5rENVi2L._SL1500_.jpg

You ca get a smart BD player cheaper for €75 with free delivery on amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-BDPS1100-Smart-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B00AZVJ1HW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378813792&sr=8-1&keywords=smart+Blu+ray++player

I have an american one of those and they're very compact with everything you are looking for. Uses the same OS as a PS3 too.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You ca get a smart BD player cheaper for €75 with free delivery on amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-BDPS1100-Smart-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B00AZVJ1HW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378813792&sr=8-1&keywords=smart+Blu+ray++player

I have an american one of those and they're very compact with everything you are looking for. Uses the same OS as a PS3 too.

Cheers, that is a good price, but I need wifi option so for an extra 30 or so LG one seems to be the way to go.

• Advertisement

Good news for Trek fans, first 4 seasons of ST:TNG are on the UK/Ireland site, no doubt all the other seasons and incarnations will be on it anon. Pity its not in HD though (first three seasons anyway.).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement