Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"If I'm not out there training, someone else is."

• 12-06-2009 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hey Guys
    Okay a little background I am a 20yr old who heavily involved in my running.Ran fairly decent times as a juvenille in comparison to others of my age. In the last two or three years however my PBs have stalled despite major improvements in my training etc. The only PB i have broke in that time officially is my 5 mile at 27:41 (broke my PB for 5k in the process).
    I had great intentions for my training this year as it my first year as a senior however struggled with shin splints for the best part of four months. Anyway finally back to consistant training in the hope of a good XC season. Anyway i thought a log might help me on the straight and narrow now that i back fit enough to tackle sessions and hopefully be a good read for others coming back from injury.
    A quick catch up on this week to get started
    Week 1
    Day one: 8 miles easy
    Day two: Rest
    Day three: am 6 miles easy pm 3 miles easy
    Day four: 8 miles easy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

ecoli wrote: »
    Hey Guys
    Okay a little background I am a 20yr old who heavily involved in my running.Ran fairly decent times as a juvenille in comparison to others of my age. In the last two or three years however my PBs have stalled despite major improvements in my training etc. The only PB i have broke in that time officially is my 5 mile at 27:41 (broke my PB for 5k in the process).
    I had great intentions for my training this year as it my first year as a senior however struggled with shin splints for the best part of four months. Anyway finally back to consistant training in the hope of a good XC season. Anyway i thought a log might help me on the straight and narrow now that i back fit enough to tackle sessions and hopefully be a good read for others coming back from injury.
    A quick catch up on this week to get started
    Week 1
    Day one: 8 miles easy
    Day three: am 6 miles easy pm 3 miles easy
    Day four: 8 miles easy

Besdt of luck, will be keeping an eye on your progress.. nice 5 mile pb btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Good luck and looking forward to see progress.

One thing I like to see on blogs (maybe as I'm a stat freak) but can you post times of your "easy" runs etc - I'm always intrigued as to who finds what pace "easy". Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Good stuff, should be an interesting read.

Whats your best event Ecoli?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Cool, look forward to reading this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

christeb wrote: »
    Good luck and looking forward to see progress.

One thing I like to see on blogs (maybe as I'm a stat freak) but can you post times of your "easy" runs etc - I'm always intrigued as to who finds what pace "easy". Thanks :)

Week 1
    Day one: 8 miles easy (59 min)
    Day three: am 6 miles easy(45 min) pm 3 miles easy (25 min)
    Day four: 8 miles easy (60 min)

• Advertisement

Good stuff, should be an interesting read.

Whats your best event Ecoli?

My best events would be 5k - 5 mile i say for some reason i dont get into alot of other races and as such my times dont really reflect my ablity but ill list my PBs for anyone interested

800m 2:06
    1500m 4:22
    3k 9:47
    5k 16:32 (however have clocked 16:24 in a 5mile race)
    5 mile 27:41
    10k 34:10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

800m 2:06
    1500m 4:22
    3k 9:47
    5k 16:32 (however have clocked 16:24 in a 5mile race)
    5 mile 27:41
    10k 34:10

I reckon you're 10k time looks the best. (Though McMillan Calculator would probably put your 800 and 1500 times as the best.)

cfitz wrote: »
    I reckon you're 10k time looks the best. (Though McMillan Calculator would probably put your 800 and 1500 times as the best.)

true that the time of the 10k equates to very fast but was alot of downhill parts to the course so i dont consider it to be as good as my five mile as i ran that on two seperate course Raheny and Sportsworld

Week One Day 5
    Seeing as i had the day off work today i thought it was the perfect time to get back to doing core. Havent been keeping it up in a while which prob should have considering i was injured for so long this year.Anyway a good 40 min worth of core work ther at half two to give me a chance to chill before my run this evening. Heading with P3fitz will be good to get bit of company again as most of my runs the last few weeks have been solo. Was trying to avoid people till i was able to cover my hour runs comfortably

Week 1 Day 5
    9 mile in 63
    It been a pretty good week training so far at about mid thirty mile mark so far for the week with two runs still left to go. The legs felt a bit tired but this was prob a result of the late night due to watching the NCAAs and the morning core work session.The company was good to have and turns out guy i ran with coming back from injury too so was good to have someone in the same boat as me maybe work with fair bit over the next while. will prob take it very easy tomorrow as this weekend my first run over ten since i came back so dont wanna rush it too much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

will prob take it very easy tomorrow as this weekend my first run over ten since i came back so dont wanna rush it too much

:D I'll take it easy on you on Sunday so :D

Woddle wrote: »
    :D I'll take it easy on you on Sunday so :D

haha thanks for the concern but fair is fair now we training at more your field of expertise it only fair that you can make me suffer to get me back for the track sessions :p

:D
    Completely taking the pee, looking forward to running this route with you as you might drag me along a little quicker. On my lsr I tend to plod. Predicted overall pace approx 8 min. There is a couple of climbs aswell, nothing too serious.

Woddle wrote: »
    :D
    Completely taking the pee, looking forward to running this route with you as you might drag me along a little quicker. On my lsr I tend to plod. Predicted overall pace approx 8 min. There is a couple of climbs aswell, nothing too serious.

sure take things handy at start and see how it goes. looking orward to the route from looking at your map seems like a pretty good loop. warn you though recently havent been a huge morning person so may take me lil bit to get the legs moving haha

I'm pretty much the same, the first 2 miles are flat but normally ran slowly for warming up, the next 4 is up hill and rolling and then a mile of down and then predominantly flat. Not sure whether the park will be opened by the time we come round but I have an alternative when we get there, up to wesley and then Dundrum-Churchtown-Templogue-home and your right it's an excellent route.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭p3-fitz

Thanks for that run today ecoli. Perfect pace ... same again tomorrow ?

p3-fitz wrote: »
    Thanks for that run today ecoli. Perfect pace ... same again tomorrow ?

For sure same time

Week one Day 6
    PM:9 miles in 66 (7:20 pace)

After my core session i was in agony today which proved to me one thing. the muscles targeted with core work need to build alot more if i am to cope with higher volumes and intensities of training later in the season.
    Despite this once i got out on my run today loosened up a bit but as me and
    P3fitz were both suffering after core sessions we kept the pace slower than usual. Hopefully legs will be good for tomorrows long run

Week 1 day 7

AM: 14 mile in 1.58 (8.25 mile pace)

Running at half six in the morning was great ideal conditions and all the roads were relatively quiet. My first +10 mile run in a long long time it was great to have the company of Woddle and Figg really helped me get through it. Legs were still a bit stiff from the core on friday which didnt help as they got bit tight again around the nine mile mark but i survived. Will be interesting to see how the legs are tomorrow though.

All in all been a good week of training building my mileage is definitely goin to get my strength back to what it was and hopefully develop it even further. Still have a long way to go but i getting there and i happy with overall mileage of roughly 55 this week giving me something to build on

Week 2 day 1

9 mile in 65 ( 7.18 pace)

Great weather really drags them all out of the woodwork. Went to my club training session, first time in a while i am ashamed to say. Was really good though had 7 of us out which biggest group i have run with in i dunno how long was a great spirit thouugh most of the lads finished early as they were racing yesterday so just on short recovery runs. Was happy with my run was just what i needed as longs were bit stiff from long run yesterday but to be expected

• Advertisement

Week 2 Day 2

8.5 miles in 61 (7.10 mile pace)

Was tipping along nicely about 6.55 pace for the first six however training partner got a bit of a stitch (eating to close to run tut tut) so we eased back the pace. To be honest i was glad legs taking a cumulative effect from all the training all the week. Looking forward to recovery tomorrow haha

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭p3-fitz

ha man you know i cant run without having my cheerios :pac:

Week 2 Day 2

PM; 30 min core work

wanted to get this out of the way so i wouldnt have to worry but it on recovery day. definitely need to incorporate more in order to stay injury free with my training

Week 2 Day 3

5 mile in 42 min (8:40 mile pace)

nothing to hectic just needed to give the legs a break after last week and get them ready for another week training. Starting to see the importance of a recovery run every week over a rest day hope this is the way i will be very strong come the winter.
    Also comes at right time as my club has a summer race series so i am thinking of hopping into a race tommorrow. Wont race it but will be a good chance to get a tempo run in i think the race is about 2.5 - 3 mile so see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Looking forward to your log ecoli. Welcome

Abhainn wrote: »
    Looking forward to your log ecoli. Welcome

Thanks for the welcome it always nice to get encouragement and feedback from people. It always appreciated both positive and negative:D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭DJS

Well man.. sorry bout that run on monday, but i didnt expect the legs to be that sore.

Glad too see u up-ing the training... id love too see u back in the sort of shape that had u absolutly making a show off me down in tymon and UCD.

Keep up the good work and i will defo get in for a few runs with u when i get the chance..

P.S p3try there is nothing wrong with eating before runs man.. do it all the time:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Fitzington

Alrite man,
    Like the training log good to see you back training hard after the
    shinsplints. looking forward to the race
    tomorrow should be a good run.

Week 2 Day 4

4 mile in 27 (6:40 mile pace)

Nice brisk morning run to get the legs goin for tonight. Even though i am only taking the race as a tempo it will be the first time in about a month to 6 weeks that i have done anything involving a bit of speed. will be interesting as there are to guys who as recent as last week went sub17 and low 17s for 5 k in the first club race so with them in the race hopefully the pace will be honest enough to gve me a good tempo work out

• Advertisement

Week 2 Day 4

Am:4 mile in 27 (6:40 mile pace)

PM:3 mile warm up 2.8 mile tempo (club race) 1.5 mile cool down

Decided it would be good to show my face at clubs summer race series so i said i would take the race as a training session. the last few weeks have been nothing but LSR so it was nice to get a few quick miles into my legs. The course was set over four laps on grass which relatively flat.

The race began and from the start it was apparent the league leader. He has been running great times recently noticeably 28:01 in a 5 miler so i decided to let him go and sat in fourth briefly before moving into second. I noticed Fitzington, a younger athlete in the club, on my shoulder and it was obvious he was out to prove a point, he wanted my scalp. Another vet went with us and we broke away from the pack. for the first two laps we went tipping along i was feeling really good. third lap i upped the pace slightly and again on the last lap. I thought Fitzington had died off but he was holding on few metres behind and with 300m to go he made a surge. I was so tempted to go with him because was feeling so good but i managed to restrain myself and let him go. I finished up 3rd in 16.48 three seconds off second.

I was really happy not just because of how i felt but because i managed to hold myself back and curbed my competitive nature. This i feel is a real break through as i dont feel that i have to push myself to the max in every training session as i did last winter coming up to my injury.

Tempo 2.8 miles in 16.48 (5.42 mile pace)

Advertisement