Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NFL DRAFT 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

I would to see nothing more than to see Blackon falling to 5 and the Bucs taking up but can see Someone else taking him first.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

No way we take Blackmon.

Richardson, Claiborne, Kirkpatrick, Kalil all higher priorities.

Williams, Benn, Briscoe and Parker aren't all that bad, if we had a running game of any note or some pass protection for Freeman. Also a TE would be nice, to ease the pressure on Winslow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Richardson and Kirkpatrick just declared through a 'Bama presser on ESPN!

Claiborne declared too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

kmart6 wrote: »
    Richardson and Kirkpatrick just declared through a 'Bama presser on ESPN!
    Claiborne declared too!

Hmm i just mention their names and they declare. Im magic! :P

• Advertisement

They must be reading boards....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

What do you guys think was the greatest draft of all time by a particular team? I don't know many but I suppose the Ravens first draft in which they got future HOFers LT Ogden and MLB Lewis.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

matthew8 wrote: »
    What do you guys think was the greatest draft of all time by a particular team? I don't know many but I suppose the Ravens first draft in which they got future HOFers LT Ogden and MLB Lewis.

Newsome is just a genius when it comes to draft day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Wikipedia is great for reading past drafts, all laid out very clearly

I do read them now and again and for different teams too

Don't forget Jermaine Lewis from that draft too
    Fantastic returner and scored a TD in Superbowl XXXV

Could do with a good returner now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

DDC1990 wrote: »
    No way we take Blackmon.

Richardson, Claiborne, Kirkpatrick, Kalil all higher priorities.

Williams, Benn, Briscoe and Parker aren't all that bad, if we had a running game of any note or some pass protection for Freeman. Also a TE would be nice, to ease the pressure on Winslow.

Sorry should have said Claiborne would be my number 1 pick but him being the best defensive prospect in the draft i think he could be gone.

Rams and Vikings will take Kalil and Claborne i reckon.

Is Richardson a top 5 pick do you think, defo need someone to help blocking on Pass plays as we know Blount can't block very well. If we get Richardson would you play Blount as his backup?

Havent seen much on Dre so can't comment there. When is Talibs trial, April is it, so we could know before the draft if he's going to jail or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I know Richardson is a very good player but I don't think a RB is a good pick for a franchise hoping to turn things around. The modern nfl is designed to aid the passing game, theres a reason so many players have thrown for huge numbers.

This draft is stacked with defensive talent. The top ten picks belong to those teams for a reason. They cant stop the opponent. The Vikings have the best RB and they have a top 5 pick. So IMO Richardson should not go that high.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,499 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think there is a very deep RB class in this draft and because of that I think Richardson will drop a bit.

Kirkpatrick the fool....
    Former Alabama cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick, who is widely viewed as a first-round prospect in this year’s NFL draft, has been arrested for possession of marijuana.

The web site for the Sheriff’s Office in Manatee County, Florida, lists Kirkpatrick as having been arrested at 12:48 a.m. today for possession of less than 20 grams of cannabis. He was released after posting $120 bond.

Kirkpatrick, who announced last week that he is leaving Alabama for the NFL, is considered one of the top defensive players in the class of 2012. The eight mock drafts posted at NFL.com all have Kirkpatrick going in the Top 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Kirkpatrick the fool....

Wont affect his stock. Not for that small amount of weed.

Not exactly the smartest move is it though, two/three months before the combine/getting arrested for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RGIII

Surprised it wasn't posted yet but Ryan Tannehill broke his foot and will miss the Senior Bowl and maybe his Pro Day. Hard to tell how it affects his stock. Could benefit from it, bad Senior Bowl would have killed his stock.

I think Kirkpatrick is very overrated. Come draft day I think he'll be a late 1st/early 2nd even without the weed incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Interesting article on the likely fight for RGIII at #2: http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/02/cleveland_browns_must_out-bid.html
    CLEVELAND, Ohio -- ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay thinks the Browns will have to win a bidding war with the Washington Redskins to trade up to No. 2 with the St. Louis Rams to select Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III.
    And if it were him, he wouldn’t hesitate to surrender the No. 4 and No. 22 picks to pull off the deal. The Redskins own the No. 6 and No. 39 overall picks.
    “I would do it,” McShay said of the Browns trading their two first-round picks. “I wouldn’t do it for any other position, but I would do it for quarterback.”
    McShay said the Heisman Trophy winner doesn’t have much to prove physically at the NFL Combine next week, but he must sell himself in interviews to the Browns and Redskins.
    “I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t floor both of those teams with his intelligence and his understanding of the game,” McShay said. “I think it’s going to be a competition between the two to see who can get up there when it’s all said and done,” he said.

McShay ventured to say that if not for Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck — who’s expected to go No.1 to the Colts — Griffin would be competing for the top spot on the board.
    “I think he’s every bit worth the [No. 2] pick,” McShay said. “I’ve got him as the third prospect overall in this class, and I think that if the Browns want him, they need to move up and get him. I’ll be surprised if he lasts until four, and I’ll be even surprised if he gets to No. 3 because I think that No. 2 pick is up for public auction. I think the
    Rams are going to get a good deal to move back and can still get a player they want at tackle or wide receiver.
    “And if it’s not Cleveland, then it’s probably going to be Washington [at No. 6] right behind them leapfrogging Cleveland to get up to No. 2.”
    According to the NFL’s draft value chart, the Browns’ No. 4 and No. 22 picks would be almost equal to the value of the No. 2 pick, which is worth 2,600 points. The No. 4 is worth 1,800 and the No. 22 is worth 780 for a total of 2,580. Throw in a sixth-round pick worth about 20 points, and the Browns are right there.
    The Redskins, on the other hand, total 2,110 points with their first two picks. The No. 6 pick is worth 1,600 and the No. 39 overall pick is worth 510. In order to top the Browns’ offer, they’d likely have to throw in a third-rounder this year or a second-rounder next year. But the Browns’ offer guarantees the Rams will still be able to get either Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon or USC tackle Matt Kalil at No. 4.

“It may seem like you’re giving up too much, but I’d much rather nail it at the quarterback position than sit there at four, miss out on the quarterback, get [Alabama’s] Trent Richardson at running back, Michael Floyd or someone at receiver and still not have anyone to get them the football that you feel great about,” McShay said.
    That’s not to say he thinks that Colt McCoy will never be a good starting quarterback in the NFL.
    “I think we’ve seen enough flashes, but I think we’ve also seen teams adjust to his inability to consistently throw the ball down the field with velocity and accuracy,” he said. “Those were the concerns. That’s why he was a third-round pick coming out. Tom Brady was a sixth-round pick and is one of the greatest of all time, so you never really know, but there’s a reason that guys end up going where they go in terms of what they can do at the next level.
    “I think with McCoy, we’ve kind of seen in the last couple of years that he has the intangibles — the toughness, the competitiveness, the ability to move and keep plays alive and accuracy underneath — but the limitations are there.”
    Therefore, the Browns should grab the brass ring when they have the chance, McShay said.
    “When you have an opportunity at the one position that just seems to change the franchise — it’s really the only correlation between all of the good teams is really good quarterback play,” he said. “There’s a reason the vast majority of teams drafting in the top 15 need a quarterback and the vast majority of the teams drafting in the bottom 15 don’t.”

McShay said he wasn’t that impressed with Griffin’s 2010 season. In fact, he had a third-round grade on him then and wasn’t sure he’d work out as a pro quarterback. But he saw the light in 2011.
    “He really grew on me,” McShay said. “I got coach’s copy tape from this year and saw the improvement with his accuracy, with his anticipation, specifically with his accuracy down the field, too. I thought he showed a lot more touch and was able to drop the ball in and make accurate throws vertically. Can he still improve in that area? Of course he can. I think, sometimes, he’s got to learn to take a little bit of heat off his fastball and throw more catchable throws in the short to intermediate [range], but he has really made huge strides as a passer in terms of that accuracy, and it’s so important.”
    What impressed McShay even more than Griffin’s world-class speed was his terrific arm and football acumen.
    “You look at the athleticism, which is through the roof, his speed, which is exceptional, and it leads to a lot of potential big plays when he does decide to take off and run,” McShay said.
    “But what I like about him is he is a true passer first, and he’s not an impatient guy that’s always looking to get outside the pocket. He will sit in there, he’ll hang tough, he can throw from a lot of different launch points, he can snap the ball off and has a strong arm and I love his mental makeup. He’s a leader, he’s tough and, most importantly, he’s smart. He picks things up quickly, and I haven’t found a person I’ve
    talked to that says anything but great things about him in the classroom and understanding offensive concepts and just his natural intelligence.”

The bolded part shows what type of deal the Rams would get to trade down from #2 - Jeff Fisher would have a nice selection of picks to kick-start his reign in St. Louis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

RGIII wrote: »
    Surprised it wasn't posted yet but Ryan Tannehill broke his foot and will miss the Senior Bowl and maybe his Pro Day. Hard to tell how it affects his stock. Could benefit from it, bad Senior Bowl would have killed his stock.

I think Kirkpatrick is very overrated. Come draft day I think he'll be a late 1st/early 2nd even without the weed incident.

The weed incident has had the sting taken out of it with his pal fessing up that it was his weed .

I think the gap from Claiborne...Jenkins & Kirkpatrick to the rest ...i mean Dennard....Gilmore is quite pronounced

Let me put it this way RGIII....all of Claiborne, Jenkins & Kirkpatrick can start in 2012 ...whereas i think the next level of guys could play the slot ...come off the bench in 2012

To draw a parallel with 2011 ...Jimmy Smith came on after injury and off the bench for the Ravens at the end of the season ...and he was drafted a little later than expected and in keeping with how he is used .

The Cowboys will start either Jenkins or Kirkpatrick in 2012 as Terence Newman is cut ...The Bengals are short a corner in 2012 so would start either ....and Detroit or SanFran would pick Jenkins or Kirkpatrick if avaialble so i honestly cant see your prediction of the second round

Are you honestly saying Kirkpatrick gets past New England with two picks with McCourtey , Moore, Chung & Arrington inspiring confidence ...really?????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Anyone going to follow the combine results? Is the NFL and ESPN the best for the combine coverage?

I see Luck isn't going to throw. I hope RG gets to throw havnt seen that much of him would like to see him out of his comfort zone throwing to unfamilar receivers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

RG3 aint throwing either as far as I know ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

No need for Luck to throw.
    RG3 he wont be throwing and thats because his stock at the minute can only go down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Coin toss just took place to decide picks between temas with equal records.

Miami will pick 8th, Carolina will pick 9th.
    Kansas City will pick 11th, Seattle will pick 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

The excitement begins :D This going to be one great draft!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Group 2 will be kicking off in the next half hour at the combine, you can watch at live on http://www.nfl.com/combine/live - make sure to switch to camera 2.

Matt Kalil, Riley Reiff and Jonathan Martin - the consensus top 3 tackles - are all in group 2. Wont tell much from the 40 yard dash, but the 10 yard split and the positional drills are always worth keeping an eye on. Cordy Glenn from group 1 looked excellent in his earlier. 6'5, 345lbs and he ran a 4.96 in the 40. Unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

There's one player every year that blows people away as early as the official measurements. Michael Brockers is this year's that guy.

6'7", 322lbs and 35 inch arms. No way he falls to the Pats first pick as I've been hoping/mocking :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Michael Brockers and Codry Glenn seem to be the 2 most impressive guys so far.

Glenn is really impressing with his bench reps and 40 time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Anyone have a full list of eligible players? I've googled the issue to no avail. Want to find someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Think Dwayne Allen may slip down the board now posting 4.84 40 time while Ladarious Green posted a 4.45.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Stev_o wrote: »
    Think Dwayne Allen may slip down the board now posting 4.84 40 time while Ladarious Green posted a 4.45.

Alot of negatives against Green following his weigh in and poor showing on the bench press.

Quote from Walter football.com

"Yesterday I wrote, "Louisiana-Lafayette tight end Ladarius Green (6-6, 238) needs to add some more bulk to his frame." That was proven true when Green had the second-lowest total of any tight end with 16 reps on the bench press. Until Green adds some size and strength, he can probably only be a situational player, and that definitely hurts his draft value. "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Love this time of year

ESPN First Draft podcast
    NFL.com draft tracker podcast
    Easier to get both of them in itunes

My Ravens will be going offensive line or MLB in the first round I reckon

The player I want is center Peter Konz from Wisconsin

Looks a beast and we need a center
    We'll resigning either Matt Birk or Andre Gurode on a one year deal so he'll have a tutor and veteran backup

Advertisement