Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Long term battery charging

• 27-10-2014 10:50am
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking to get a trickle charger for one of the cars in storage. It doesn't get driven much, and especially during winter, it probably won't be driven for a while. The battery died very quickly on it, so if I haven't driven it for 2 or 3 days, it's dead.

Can anyone recommend a good trickle battery charger, that can be plugged in long term, so next time I get the car it's not dead?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Mr. Halford has quite a good range of chargers, including a "SMART" charger which I use whenever the car goes into hibernation.

I used to use a solar panel (Maplins) which was quite successful, provided the car battery was pretty-well charged when you put the car away, i.e. the panel's output is too small to re-charge a battery but it can replace minor losses of charge during storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭blackbox

Lidl had chargers recently - might still have some in stock. I got one years ago and it is still great - they automatically step down to trickle when the battery is fully charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭greasepalm

aye bought a solar powered one from factors e50 and can keep a 100amp battery topped up if shed is covered it wont work ,out in the open in bright place yes work well,solar power is the future its free.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks guys. I have a solar panel already, but the car is kept indoors in an offsite garage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Lidi charger is cheap and has smart charging be ideal for what you want

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

OP from your post it sounds like you want a new battery rather than a crutch to keep it going?

Already replaced the battery! Put a larger diesel battery in it. Auto electrician can't figure out what's draining it. Just a small drain somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭greasepalm

2-3 days for a diesel battery to die must have a big drain,obvious not a clock drain.

antodeco wrote: »
    Already replaced the battery! Put a larger diesel battery in it. Auto electrician can't figure out what's draining it. Just a small drain somewhere

Why not just disconnect the earth, provided you know the radio key code?

Also pulling each accessory fuse and checking for any current drawn across the socket might show up something.

I had been doing that with the old battery. And being honest, if I can get a smart charger, I've no problem disconnecting the terminals when it's charging, and only reconnect when I plan on driving it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I was going to go for that Lidl one until I got to talking on here to a few "battery" types.

The Lidl one is "OK", but I have a variety of batteries (Leisure, car, tractor, quad, blah)

I went for one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FC42HAA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

Have to say its the Dogs Nutz ;)

Very pleased with it.

Edit - Read the first review on the Amazon page - its three times more than I ever wanted to know about battery charging

Just bought that off Amazon there! Thanks for the recommendation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Just bought that off Amazon there! Thanks for the recommendation!

You won't be sorry, great piece of kit.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

Also have one of the CTEK chargers and use it all the time in the garage. Can highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

I use a 7 day timer to keep a charge on a motorbike that is used infrequently. I leave the charger connected and set the timer to come on for an hour 3 days a week. Seems to work ok for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

I'm open to correction on this - feel free (but keep it gentle - I'm old) but I think charging circuitry in some cars are limited to the AmpHr capacity of the original battery, that is, if the original, factory-fitted battery was, say 60 AH, the car's charging circuitry cuts out at 60 or so.

A battery's discharge graph is not linear - it's slow at first and then drops off quite quickly. Your charging circuitry "might" not fully charge your new, bigger battery and cut out somewhere on the "steep slope" of the graph. This would mean that a small drain is enough to cause bigger problems.

My chariot does this - it took some research to discover that my new, bigger than original battery wasn't faulty after all.

Also, I see a post mentioning the use of a timer on the trickle charger. Me too! An hour a day or so works well for me.

My CTEK battery charger arrived yesterday. Plugged it in yesterday morning, did a recon charge on it, started first thing this morning. Won't go near it now until probably February. One thing I have to say, it uses very little power. 1KW in 24 hours. Perfectly happy with that! (I know this because I have the car in a lockup with its own power supply).

My CTEK battery charger arrived yesterday. Plugged it in yesterday morning, did a recon charge on it, started first thing this morning. Won't go near it now until probably February. One thing I have to say, it uses very little power. 1KW in 24 hours. Perfectly happy with that! (I know this because I have the car in a lockup with its own power supply).

1KW seems a lot of power to me I assume the battery wasn't fully charged?

What rating is it?

my3cents wrote: »
    1KW seems a lot of power to me I assume the battery wasn't fully charged?

What rating is it?

Was fully dead. So to bring it from empty up is pretty decent.

Advertisement