Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fav genre?

• 16-03-2006 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

What your favourite genre in anime? Shonen, Shoujo, Mech or SD? Me, I like Mecha, Shoujo, Seinen, Sentai and Shōjo. So whats yours? If you unsure what genres you like check out this link to Wikipedia out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

I like Shoujo, Seinen, romance, gender bender, romance

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

I don't know. I tend to like obscure, surreal Satoshi Kon films, the artistic types, yet I do have a broad taste like my music. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mech always work for some fun shooty shooty brainless action but at the end of the day it depends on the quality and story rather then type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

I like every genre, target demographics have nothing to do with it really. My favourite anime tend to be the ones that make me ponder about the nature of humanity, like Arakawa under the Bridge, Evangelion or Welcome to the NHK.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭bluugirl

Hmm I don't really like any particular genre to be honest but my faves are cowboy bebop,samurai champloo,sailor moon and death note :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Surrealistic anime (Serial Experiments Lain, Paranoia Agent, End of Evangelion, Cat Soup, Angel's Egg) is some of the best stuff ever.

Ecchi/Harem should be destroyed though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Moe blob and Mecha... preferably both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Madness!

I love anti-hero anime, shame there's not that many around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

DOnt really have a particular favorite, but I recently have taken a liking to Cyberpunk.

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I recently have taken a liking to Cyberpunk.

Same here I am mad into cyberpunk art style.

• Advertisement

Same here I am mad into cyberpunk art style.
    Have you seen Serial Experiments Lain, or Texhnolyze? Both great (though really dark and ambiguous) shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Same on cyberpunk for me, Lain was a lifechanger, all of GITS is just wonderful and while I thought Bubblegum Crisis was outdated, I appreciated it's importance.

I can't do Texnolyze, just the minimalism of it makes it too slow for me, I could probably do it if it was 12 episodes, but not 22. I will watch it eventually, but I really need to concentrate on making the effort.

And also, how about a newcomer to the genre, Mardock Scramble?

I haven't watched it yet, I've seen that it's gotten excellent reviews though.

e_e wrote: »
    Have you seen Serial Experiments Lain, or Texhnolyze? Both great (though really dark and ambiguous) shows.

Lain is one of my favorite anime ever! actually listening to the ost right now even. I also loved GitS so much, especially the 1995 movie (motoko is so much better in that compared to the 2 series), I love Ergo Proxy too.
    However, I did not like Texhnolyze at all. Bored the living hell out of me. I think I just wasnt in the mood for it when I watched it. Eh.

Lain is one of my favorite anime ever! actually listening to the ost right now even.

Probably relevant for me to post this since you bring up the OST for Lain. I've been covering stuff on guitar for youtube videos for years (on and off) and the Lain OST is one of the things I've focused on doing. I'm modest about it, so I'm weird about using the youtube tag to link, since it would make it so big and attention drawing in this post, so I'll just link normally to the Lain's Theme video. I started because all I ever saw was people covering the Boa intro song and thought it was lame how there were many more great songs being completely overlooked. I'm also in love with the Welcome to the NHK OST just like I am with Lain, so you can find a whole bunch of NHK songs I did as well as a few more Lain songs on my account.

Numina wrote: »
    Probably relevant for me to post this since you bring up the OST for Lain. I've been covering stuff on guitar for youtube videos for years (on and off) and the Lain OST is one of the things I've focused on doing. I'm modest about it, so I'm weird about using the youtube tag to link, since it would make it so big and attention drawing in this post, so I'll just link normally to the Lain's Theme video. I started because all I ever saw was people covering the Boa intro song and thought it was lame how there were many more great songs being completely overlooked. I'm also in love with the Welcome to the NHK OST just like I am with Lain, so you can find a whole bunch of NHK songs I did as well as a few more Lain songs on my account.

Thats pretty good stuff. Im a bass player myself and have tried to play the theme of lain bass lines, which I love. However I cannot for the life of me learn songs by ear. Which I made a post about in the music forum recently.

No. From reading peoples' opinons on Lain I do want to check it out. It is kinda surreal? I do like some of the Texhnoyze soundtrack. Thanks for the recemmendations.

I also want to watch Bubblegum Crisis and Kite, yeah I am way behind anime. :p Mardock Scramble looks excellent! Defiantly looks like my type and it is wonderful to see new anime in cyberpunk which was very popular in the late 80s and 90s.

It is kinda surreal?
    Very surreal, because as the series goes on the line between reality and the online world gets blurred. Very much like Evangelion in how it throws so much at the viewer and leaves 'em with their own interpretations. I love it for that.

Very surreal, because as the series goes on the line between reality and the online world gets blurred. Very much like Evangelion in how it throws so much at the viewer and leaves 'em with their own interpretations. I love it for that.

Thanks. I really like anime that has you deep thinking. That is why I really like Evangelion it is the type of series that leaves you thinking long afterwards.
    between reality and the online world gets blurred.

This makes it interesting to watch. I do like series that play into fantasy vs reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I watched Lain and I felt it was pretty dry for a lot of the episodes but when it was good, it was REALLY good

Thats pretty good stuff. Im a bass player myself and have tried to play the theme of lain bass lines, which I love. However I cannot for the life of me learn songs by ear. Which I made a post about in the music forum recently.

I read your post and I totally feel you, I've been playing for around as long as you have, I'm nothing more than a mediocre guitarist, I can't solo for crap and screw up constantly still. I don't play much anymore part because I suck, and part because it's not as interesting as it used to be, both probably interact with each other in some way though. My only saving grace is that I learn stuff by ear without much problem, I don't think there's a video I've done where I didn't learn the song by ear.

Concerning the bass on Lain, it's something I've been meaning to do. I'm running out of songs because of my limitations as a guitarist and bass means I can revisit the songs and still produce more unique content. So yeah, I think you saying you want to learn it is going to be the catalyst for me attempting it.

Wait this is an anime forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 daskesh

shonen (bleach ,naruto ,one piece) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Hokuto

Shoujo yon-koma (4 panel) manga a-la Lucky Star and Azumanga Daioh.Although I'm partial to other slice-of-life type of manga (e.g Yotsuba&!).

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Stocking Drinks Whiskey

MALgraph says my favourite genres are Psychological, Mystery and Thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SpankFish

MALgraph says my favourite genres are Psychological, Mystery and Thriller.

I think I'm the only person I know of whose favorite genre is "slice of life" :-) I just love watching charachters that I can relate to more, as the story setting is useuly some where.you encounter every day like a restaraunt in the case of Wagnaria or an inn in the case of Hanasaku Iroha
    Or a University on.the case of my all time favorite anime Genshiken. So as a result of this common place setting I feel I can really relate to the charaters as the tend to be more personality developed in order to drive the story along.

Advertisement