Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Chop Shop Curry Recipe

• 20-05-2008 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a recipe for Irish Chip Shop Curry?

The curry that is usually put over curry chips and the like, it is slightly thick like a gravy and you can usually get it in your local chipper but also places like Supermacs do it too.

Anything out there???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Heh, :) chop shop?
    Tastes like ordinary run of the mill curry powder to me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I've seen packets in the supermarket for Curry sauce. So you might try one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can get granules, just like gravy granules, or just Google "chip shop curry sauce" and you'll find hundreds of recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

Alun wrote: »
    You can get granules, just like gravy granules, or just Google "chip shop curry sauce" and you'll find hundreds of recipes.

Looking specifically for the Irish version of the Curry Sauce though, like they serve in Supermacs...
    It is thick not watery like the packet stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I know the stuff you're thinking about. It's usually a curry you get from the chinese - or over chips in a chipper.
    You can buy it in Chinese places - and I've seen it in supermarkets in a plastic tub. For some reason in the frozen section (not in the fridges - just in baskets)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Bisto - Chip Shop Curry granules, as already mentioned, will be 100 time better IMO than anything you'll make yourself. It won't be watery if made properly.

Failing that, most Polish shops sell a German sweet-curry sauce in a rec plastic-tub which is almost exactly what you find in the average chipper. I can't remember the name but will have it in a few hours if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

Ponster wrote: »
    Bisto - Chip Shop Curry granules, as already mentioned, will be 100 time better IMO than anything you'll make yourself. It won't be watery if made properly.

Failing that, most Polish shops sell a German sweet-curry sauce in a rec plastic-tub which is almost exactly what you find in the average chipper. I can't remember the name but will have it in a few hours if needed.

Would be great to get the name of the German Curry Sauce, they might even have it in Tescos.

I will also have a look at the Bisto one but it is usually when I am overseas that I have a craving for curry chips and they don't generally sell them so would be great to make up a big batch or curry sauce and then buy a few chips and pour it over them.

In the chippers you see them with a big pot of curry sauce and I would think they would make these themselves especially in the Chinese Takeaways etc.

Looks like the recipe is a closely guarded secret though as I once asked them and they said "It's a secret!"

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

McDonalds curry powder - nothing to do with the take away. You see it in round tins in supermarkets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MzFusspot

I used to work in Supermacs and they defo just use a normal curry sauce mix- as far as I remember it came in a white box with red/yellow writing on it, with a little paper bag inside that you had to burst open to get out the powder (just in case anyone recognises the description and knows the brand). It gets really thick cos it's initially cooked on the burger grill & then cornflour is added to thicken it up before it's left in a Bain Marie over heat, it also catches a lot of heat from the lights from the chip-keep-warm-yokey above so it keeps quite thick. It's an absolute evil b*ll*ks to pour over anything and I still have a curry sauce burn on my arm almost 10 years after working there :)

I do know what you mean about it being more like a gravy than a curry sauce,I think if you go for one of the Irish brands and just cook the heck out of it you'll get the thick gravy effect

*edit- just had a quick google for curry sauce packaging and I'm near sure it's McDonnells they use

** 'nother edit- flashback just there- the secret added ingredient (in supermacs anyways) is plain flour, just remembered whisking the packet stuff and the flour together to get a smooth powder without lumps before adding the liquid. Unfortunately what I can't remember is the flour:curry powder ratio. Could be worth experimenting (or sweet talking someone in supermacs!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Wing Yip do a curry sauce in a jar - it's a paste to which you add boiling water for the precise chinese curry sauce experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i think you need to add less water than the packet says for the mostpart too. or add cornflour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Yeah! Thanks Keedowah - McDonnells is the stuff... I couldn't remember the name.

581903.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dunnes do a chinese curry sauce which is quite similar.

Many takeaways are sweet, so just add sugar if you want, while hot of course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

"Bensons" chinese curry powder, is the nearest to chip shop curry I've ever had. It comes in a plastic tub, with green writing on it (afair).

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Keedowah wrote: »
    McDonalds curry powder - nothing to do with the take away. You see it in round tins in supermarkets.

+1
    Find McDonalds curry powder a fitting replacement for Supermacs sauce, to which I fear I may actually be somewhat addicted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 mrfreddred

Sing Li Curry Sauce ....authentic Irish Chip Shop Curry Sauce...yum yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Op it's definitely McDonalds curry powder you're looking for, if it's too watery just add more powder, I find that you need to use more powder than they recommend anyway.

Advertisement