Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why are vegetables so good for you yet so low in calories?

• 22-04-2015 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

Seriously though? If the healthiest foods for humans are vegetables and fruits should humans be aiming to make these the basis of every meal?

Are we designed to munch on these all day? Society seems to be geared towards the thought that having a large appetite is something to feel guilty about but I think it just might the case of people just eating the wrong foods.

I think it's impossible to survive on veg and fruit alone though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

And that's before you consider the calories burned when you're making your clothes out of hemp.

We're 'designed' to eat what we need in order to perform like we should.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Veggies are less about calories for ourselves and more about calories for our symbiotic gut bacteria from the fibre which guard our bodies from worse infections.

There's also some nice vitamins and minerals and other phytonutrients along with the bargain, but calories are not the only attribute of a food your body needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭crestglan

Nothing like a good home made veggi soup or weg stir fry to fill you up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Micro-nutrients.
    High Water content, high fiber content.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

There are over 200 different types of nutrient. Vegetation can supply a large portion of these.

Damn, I mean "Who make chocolate not healthyish?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

I live with this old chinese guy and he eats veg based meals at every sitting. He's very skinny.

Chinese have it down to a tee my boss is Chinese in late 40's looks like she is late 20's eats veg nuts and drinks green tea all day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

They don't fill you up though, you at least need some protein with them for satiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Bit off topic but there was a prog on BBC this eve about over-the-counter meds versus home remedies and you would need to eat 50 fish fingers to get the same amount of Omega 3 as there is in 1 salmon fillet!
    Blew my mind a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

heldel00 wrote: »
    Bit off topic but there was a prog on BBC this eve about over-the-counter meds versus home remedies and you would need to eat 50 fish fingers to get the same amount of Omega 3 as there is in 1 salmon fillet!
    Blew my mind a bit!

Fish fingers are the scrapes off the floor when they're finished at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

William F wrote: »
    If the healthiest foods for humans are vegetables and fruits should humans be aiming to make these the basis of every meal?
    Saying for a fact they are the healthiest foods a bit of a stretch. They are very good for you, and very goof source of some nutritions, but not all imo.
    Are we designed to munch on these all day?
    no.
    I think it's impossible to survive on veg and fruit alone though.
    It's not impossible. Lots of people do this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Fish fingers are the scrapes off the floor when they're finished at the end of the day.

I haven't eaten a fish finger in 20+ years. Just giving the stat from the show.

(4months pregnant with a very dodgy stomach at the best of times and the thought of eating a fish finger makes me want to vom!)

Had fish fingers last week for dinner it was one of those days wrecked from work got home went to fridge to find nothing but eggs in there had fish fingers in freezer put them in frying pan sat down to eat them and as hungry as I was could not finish even 1 absolutley no taste off them when I was a kid I used to love them smothered in red sauce but defianetly not the same now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

lubie76 wrote: »
    They don't fill you up though, you at least need some protein with them for satiety.

Well you should eat protein with your meals anyway! But believe me, if I've eat 2kg veg during the day at no point am I feeling hungry! The only thing that would make me feel less that fully satiated is if I've eaten something sugary, for the next day I would feel cravings.

Well you should eat protein with your meals anyway! But believe me, if I've eat 2kg veg during the day at no point am I feeling hungry! The only thing that would make me feel less that fully satiated is if I've eaten something sugary, for the next day I would feel cravings.

You eat 2kg of vg a day?

I'm aiming to increase my iron intake from veg alone, any recommendations on what veg is best for that?

You eat 2kg of vg a day?

I'm aiming to increase my iron intake from veg alone, any recommendations on what veg is best for that?

Seaweed

Seaweed

where do i get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Try a beach.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You eat 2kg of vg a day?

Some days, you eat a lot of veg as a vegan. I actually have to avoid iron as I absorb more than other people.
    As the poster above says, try spinach, I think if you take it with vitamic c you absorb more? Can't remember.

Here's a list
    http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Yes eating vitamin C with vegetable sources of iron improves their absorption. Animal sources of iron do not require this. (AKA non-heme and heme iron respectively.)

I wouldn't eat seaweed in large quantities because of the salt content.

Concentrated tomatoes are easy to overlook in terms of nutrition. Very high in iron and potassium. Most people don't eat enough potassium. Increasing potassium intake is highly effective at reducing blood pressure.

Lentils are shown to make you feel fuller for longer than most foods, and are recommended for controlling obesity for this reason. They are also a good source of iron and protein and generally one of the most nutritious foods available. You should soak them before cooking to reduce phytic acid to improve absorption of nutrients.

I make big batches of red lentil dal which combines both the above foods. Keeps well and reheating improves flavour. Very convenient tasty and nutritious.

• Advertisement

where do i get that?

Little health shop near me has it, I'd imagine they all stock it.

Theirs Irish seaweed, I'd get them over the Japanese.

Its horrible stuff but iron wise its the highest.

Spinach out of lidl probably be the best option though.

Advertisement