Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Diet please help

• 29-04-2015 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hey I'm going back boxing training at 17st looking to tone up and loose some weight what are some nice easy meals Usually eat pasta with tomato sauce and pasta with tuna and help would be great thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Could you outline a really typical full days eating? From there, people can set you on a slightly better advice path

What height are you? male / female? What will your weekly training look like?

Quality of food is a good place to start. Then taking note on your quantity with regards to the weight you want to be and fueling your daily life etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭lovebirds

Could you outline a really typical full days eating? From there, people can set you on a slightly better advice path

What height are you? male / female? What will your weekly training look like?

Quality of food is a good place to start. Then taking note on your quantity with regards to the weight you want to be and fueling your daily life etc.

I'd have toast for breakfast ,Chicken potatoes and veg for dinner ,toast before bed., could have crisps or bars between
    Training will be mon - fri 9:30 - 11:00 in the morning doing boxing I'm male 5ft 10 and I'm 23

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Do you have any idea how much you're having?

How much pasta goes into a pasta with tomato sauce meal?

But I'd start with not having so much toast, crisps and bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭lovebirds

Do you have any idea how much you're having?

How much pasta goes into a pasta with tomato sauce meal?

But I'd start with not having so much toast, crisps and bars.

Yeah I'm stopping the toast crisps and bars usually a full pot of pasts and quarter a jar of sauce then I'd take an average size bowl of it , other things I've done is pasta and tuna with light mayo , also mixed peppers red onion cucumber lettuce turkey slices sweet corn usually on brown toast. Are they good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

lovebirds wrote: »
    Yeah I'm stopping the toast crisps and bars usually a full pot of pasts and quarter a jar of sauce then I'd take an average size bowl of it , other things I've done is pasta and tuna with light mayo , also mixed peppers red onion cucumber lettuce turkey slices sweet corn usually on brown toast. Are they good ?

In terms of quantities, 'a full pot' and an 'average bowl' mean nothing. You could get a digital scale and weigh your food and plug it into MyFitnessPal so you have an apreciation of what's in what you're eating.

Nothing wrong with pasta in tomato sauce, per se, but too big a portion means too many calories if you're trying to drop weight.

Try dropping the portion sizes and see how you get on.

In general, it reads as though there's a very high percentage of your food that's carbohydrates. Nothing wrong with carbohydrates but you need to swing the percentages a bit more towards protein (and fat). They will also help you feel fuller for longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

In terms of quantities, 'a full pot' and an 'average bowl' mean nothing. You could get a digital scale and weigh your food and plug it into MyFitnessPal so you have an apreciation of what's in what you're eating.

Nothing wrong with pasta in tomato sauce, per se, but too big a portion means too many calories if you're trying to drop weight.

Try dropping the portion sizes and see how you get on.

In general, it reads as though there's a very high percentage of your food that's carbohydrates. Nothing wrong with carbohydrates but you need to swing the percentages a bit more towards protein (and fat). They will also help you feel fuller for longer.

That should Stickied or put on some sort of banner in this section of boards, its hands down the most useful piece of information you can get.

after a few weeks of measuring out your food, you'll begin to get an idea of how much calories are actually in things, and you'll get wise to the tricks that food producers use to fly under the radar.

An example would be the likes of a goodfellas pizza, the label on the front says 300 calories, but when you investigate, thats of 1/4 of a pizza, not the whole thing.

breakfast cereals are a major offender here too. when you first weigh out your 25g or 30g "recommended portion", you'll realise that a full bowl was probably 3 times the "recommended"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

That should Stickied or put on some sort of banner in this section of boards, its hands down the most useful piece of information you can get.

Umm... There are several stickies about this stuff already.
    The problem is that people don't read them. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,015 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In terms of quantities, 'a full pot' and an 'average bowl' mean nothing.
    It's a fairly safe assumption the a full pot of pasta is too much.
    And based on most people's portion sizes, especially people who struggle with their weight, an average bowl is usually too much.

Advertisement