Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TR072 Pharmacy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

"I don't want you learning chunks of text out of the Pharmacopoeia"
    *All lecture slides are chunks out of the pharmacopoeia*

Plus I don't find him nice or helpful at all. Was completely dismissive of me in labs last week and didn't help me when I asked him to.
    If it's just a block of text from the BP/Ph.Eur., if it's not in red it's probably not important enough to be asked.

It can be a bit tricky to find out what's important in his lectures but it's actually not as bad as it seems. Just read a general review article or two on basic pharmacognostic tests and quality control and that'll help a lot (Fabio really likes extra reading).

Just be especially glad the module's split in half this year and you don't have a load of spectroscopy to study as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 alpha2omega

Any tips for the JF biology practical exam? Do they check if we have all the questions in the manual answered?

Any tips for the JF biology practical exam? Do they check if we have all the questions in the manual answered?
    Even if they don't, it'd be a good idea to have them done because as far as I remember, the questions are similar.

Don't worry hugely about the JF Biology practical MCQ. Make sure you've read the manual over a few times and it'll be very handy.

• Any tips for the JF biology practical exam? Do they check if we have all the questions in the manual answered?

They take your lab manual during the exam and the demonstrators go through them so I assume they're checking your answers.

For the exam, know what things look like under the microscope and be able to identify them. What I would say is just go over the experiments again and be confident of the theory behind them. Don't worry about the exam, although if you can do well it'll take pressure off in April when you're studying for 9 exams and you haven't done Biology since Christmas (or skipped the majority of the lectures since Jane Farrar in my case)....

Don't underestimate the exam and start studying for it the day of either like someone I know did (Okay, it was me....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

Btw are there any changes to how one applies for an internship as well as the whole application process?

• Advertisement

Btw are there any changes to how one applies for an internship as well as the whole application process?
    Yeah things have changed apparently, there's a new centralised application system. RCSI are supposed to let everyone know later this month, i'll PM you the slides after they come talk to people.

What the hell is with the number of Community Pharmacies offering unpaid placements?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

What the hell is with the number of Community Pharmacies offering unpaid placements?

Are they not all the one chain?

Are they not all the one chain?

Probably skewing my view.

One chancer out in the arse end of the Clare is offering an unpaid one. Good luck with that (unless they've a candidate lined up and are advertising to dissuade applications).

Aside from a certain chain trying to get someone to work for them for free for 12 months (they will probably get 0 applications), 12 month community is mostly paid?

• Advertisement

Aside from a certain chain trying to get someone to work for them for free for 12 months (they will probably get 0 applications), 12 month community is mostly paid?

Yes but wages vary from pharmacy to pharmacy. This is a load of balls for me, I've to go through all this rigmarole to apply to 20 pharmacies yet I have my place already.

Yes but wages vary from pharmacy to pharmacy. This is a load of balls for me, I've to go through all this rigmarole to apply to 20 pharmacies yet I have my place already.
    Do they actually vary all that much?

I've been told it's basically minimum wage and occasionally a small bit over.

Do they actually vary all that much?

I've been told it's basically minimum wage and occasionally a small bit over.

A euro an hour over 12 months adds up :cool:

On the home stretch. It's been a long time coming but the final chapter and end of pharmacognosy is finally in sight after nearly 4 years :)

On the home stretch. It's been a long time coming but the final chapter and end of pharmacognosy is finally in sight after nearly 4 years :)

When's the exam?

This Monday.

This Monday.

Well I hope it went better for you than it did for us....liquorice:mad:

Well I hope it went better for you than it did for us....liquorice:mad:
    Much much better, Fabio was quite nice this year.

Only two extra reading papers specified this year and a question on each came up, most people were happy. The rest of the paper was standard.

Meegan's huge catalogue of structures to memorise between 02, 04 and 05 is beyond ridiculous. I don't mind learning concepts such as mechanisms or committing to memory certain facts but I have no idea what we get out of memorising 10s of structures that are only immediately forgotten after the exams are over.

Meegan's huge catalogue of structures to memorise between 02, 04 and 05 is beyond ridiculous. I don't mind learning concepts such as mechanisms or committing to memory certain facts but I have no idea what we get out of memorising 10s of structures that are only immediately forgotten after the exams are over.

Don't you know, its in case a customer wants you to draw the molecule for them :pac:

One of her lectures on anti cancer drugs, talks about some drug a lot (nope can't remember the name of it).
    Asked my Tutor where do we keep it in the dispensary, she looks at me as if I've two heads. Never heard of it. So I looked it up, to prove to her that I didn't make it up and quickly realised why shed never came across it. Used to treat very rare forms of Leukaemia :o
    Very useful lecture, as you can see

• Advertisement

At this stage, i've a pathological hatred of memorising structures.

My God, will I be glad to never memorise a pointless structure or mechanism or look at another rate equation again, roll on 9:30 and may it please be reasonable.

My God, will I be glad to never memorise a pointless structure or mechanism or look at another rate equation again, roll on 9:30 and may it please be reasonable.

It never ceases to amaze me the dread and fear that Med Chem induces in people.

Personally I thinks its fine.

Btw if you survived 05, you're on the home stretch.

I felt the exact same way about PH3002. A horror until the exam was over when it instantly became a lovely module. It's just a feeling that's hard to shake.

PH4005 was surprisingly fine! Still a long road to the 13th May though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Throwaway25

Just read there that they expect us to right a half to a full exam booklet for the PH1006 essay question? Surely they cant be expecting anything more than waffle?

Just read there that they expect us to right a half to a full exam booklet for the PH1006 essay question? Surely they cant be expecting anything more than waffle?
    That is generally what you write for most essays. It depends on your timing but you should have about 45 minutes for the essay which is roughly 4.5 pages.

For Henman, you can definitely write a solid 4.5 pages on his first year stuff.
    For Roche, it's pretty much all waffle regardless of the essay's length.
    For Sheila, you could probably do 3-4 pages tops without it being excessive.

But yeah... 10 mins = 1 page is generally what you'd aim for.

There is probably more content in PH4009 than some dedicated neuropharmacology courses. A long night awaits, caffeine drip a la PH3002 approximately one year ago.

There is probably more content in PH4009 than some dedicated neuropharmacology courses. A long night awaits, caffeine drip a la PH3002 approximately one year ago.

Btw what came up in 4002?

What worse is that in the old 09 exam was that it was impossible to pass unless you got the extra time or were an insanely fast writer.

• Advertisement

Btw what came up in 4002?

What worse is that in the old 09 exam was that it was impossible to pass unless you got the extra time or were an insanely fast writer.
    PH4002 this year was

Q1: Solid decomposition with a shocker of a calculation (actually easy but people had the impression calculations wouldn't be asked) worth 7/20 marks that threw a lot of people off.
    Q2: Not great QSAR two parter and NH acidic compounds
    Q3: AZT and Lamivudine, Saquinavir
    Q4: Cyclophosphamide and doxorubicin
    Q5: ICH: Limitations of the arrhenius equations and extrapolation... for a full 20 marks :eek:

Q1, 2 and 5 very much not to people's tastes. I thought I was going to fail when I saw Quigley's two opening questions until I calmed down and tried to invent a way to do the calculation (which miraculously worked...)

I'm not sure I like the new PH4009 exam... MCQs were not anywhere near as easy as the samples he gave us. But nonetheless, exam went reasonably well.

Advertisement