Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sports centre referendum

Options
  • 11-04-2015 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

This is fairly irrelevant to me, I only have a matter of days left in TCD, but I've been thinking about that sports centre referendum.
    First of all it's a bit of a sham that they hold it out of term: 1335 yesses this time beating 2726 noes from the term-time poll.
    There's 17,000 students paying €90 each (about 7000 never set foot in the place), plus another couple thousand staff/external members paying €300-400.

If my maths is right, this all adds up to over €2 million a year!

One of the biggest expenses for a city centre gym is rent, which I assume the sports doesn't pay. The equipment is nothing special and woefully inadequate for the member numbers.
    Where is the money going?

I saw a lot of people involved in the yes campaign are from the various sports clubs. That funding is supposed to come from DUCAC and the capitation committee, quite separate from the sports centre charge.

Has there been any transparency on where our sports centre charge is spent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Most of it's going to the clubs themselves. If the referendum didn't pass, anyone who joins a sports club would have to pay €60 a year on top of all the other costs associated with joining their individual clubs.

It also means a lot of the sports clubs which don't get a lot of members, eg Judo, can continue to compete at a decent level even though they don't get nearly as much money as the rugby team or boat club do.

I also think if people pay for the gym it acts as an incentive to go. I agree some people just aren't sporty, or go elsewhere because the gym facilities are bad; the weights section is woefully inadequate, which is why I prefer my gym at home.

Hopefully the extra funding won't be wasted on useless sh*t in the gym. There's far too many cardio machines and using power racks for a bench is far from ideal. I don't know how DUCAC plan on spending the money, but personally I voted yes because I know many people who would be badly affected if the referendum didn't pass, and since my parents are paying my fees, I don't think they'd notice the extra €30 too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Doesn't clubs/DUCAC money come from the capitation grant, completely separate to the sports centre charge?

I think a lot of the campaigners were conflating funding sports clubs and the sports centre charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Most of it's going to the clubs themselves. If the referendum didn't pass, anyone who joins a sports club would have to pay €60 a year on top of all the other costs associated with joining their individual clubs.

"Students: all students pay a registration fees entering College. A portion of this registration fee goes
    to Capitation. There are 5 capitated bodies – SU, GSU, CSC, DUCAC and Student Publications. Therefore all students are entitled to join these bodies’ in the case of DUCAC through Clubs. The main proportion of DUCAC’S funding comes from this source."

http://www.ducac.tcdlife.ie/assets/pdf/2012-13/DUCAC%20General/DUCAC%20Policy%20Document-%20updated%2010th%20September%202012.pdf
    It also means a lot of the sports clubs which don't get a lot of members, eg Judo, can continue to compete at a decent level even though they don't get nearly as much money as the rugby team or boat club do.
    I'm not sure why you think that would justify asking ~12,500 undergrads to pay extra. It's a good thing the increase won't go to the clubs!
    I also think if people pay for the gym it acts as an incentive to go.
    Pretty much every gym in Ireland is unequivocal evidence that you are wrong.

Hopefully the extra funding won't be wasted on useless sh*t in the gym. There's far too many cardio machines and using power racks for a bench is far from ideal. I don't know how DUCAC plan on spending the money, but personally I voted yes because I know many people who would be badly affected if the referendum didn't pass, and since my parents are paying my fees, I don't think they'd notice the extra €30 too much.
    And so, people understand why so many people either laugh or shake their head sadly at student politics.

You can ridicule my post all you like, I'm just going by what my friends in sports clubs conveyed to me.

I didn't hear anything from the no campaign, so I was led to believe it was unanimously agreed among the student body that we should be charged €30 extra, and to be honest I'm not all that bothered by paying €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

There are allot of things that we all pay for and never use, I'm sure part of some of something I've paid goes towards the chaplaincy service , disability service, electricity for rooms I never even go into. Having everyone pay for it makes it accessible, Would you prefer the gym charge standard rates for members 300€+? even at 120€ it's really cheap for swim, gym, changing facilities. Most of the trainers there are actually helpful and enthusiastic.
    It was a great thing that this referendum passed.

• Advertisement

You can ridicule my post all you like, I'm just going by what my friends in sports clubs conveyed to me.

I didn't hear anything from the no campaign, so I was led to believe it was unanimously agreed among the student body that we should be charged €30 extra, and to be honest I'm not all that bothered by paying €30.
    Great. I wouldn't mind €30 a year from you, and since you aren't that bothered, it's much appreciated. When/where can I expect the money?
    papu wrote: »
    There are allot of things that we all pay for and never use, I'm sure part of some of something I've paid goes towards the chaplaincy service , disability service, electricity for rooms I never even go into. Having everyone pay for it makes it accessible, Would you prefer the gym charge standard rates for members 300€+? even at 120€ it's really cheap for swim, gym, changing facilities. Most of the trainers there are actually helpful and enthusiastic.
    It was a great thing that this referendum passed.
    Accessibility for services that are for the greater good /=/ accessibility for services that are for a tiny minority to enjoy themselves with.

I think most people in college would prefer the gym charged €300 and they paid nothing, than the gym charged €120 and they were forced to pay €120.
    Because the majority of students don't use the gym.

Ignoring that, the bigger issue is that SU members have verbatim used the same argument that dictators and demagogues have been using for centuries (or longer).

Not all votes are equal, and those that agree with us are worth more.

But yeah, that's grand. The students union has come out and said that they quite genuinely don't care about accountability, transparency, democracy or equality and it isn't an issue.

The counselling service is having to ration appointments to students because of funding cuts. Paying extra to the Gym should be the last ****ing thing on the agenda for the SU.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

A better campaign would have been to object to continuing capitation cuts by central college funding to DUCAC and the gym so they aren't so cash strapped in the first place. This whole referendum was a total joke. It should be voided.

Tragedy wrote: »
    Snip.

I would argue that more people use the gym and sports facilities than any of the other services I mentioned.
    The student body absolutely needs a place for physical activity, nutritional education, strength training, personal development, stress relief
    and general health and exercise. Never using the sports facilities is nothing to be proud of, the gym is as busy as ever and this is a good thing in terms of higher numbers attending, but the facilities need a huge overhaul.

I would argue that more people use the gym and sports facilities than any of the other services I mentioned.
    Then (and I'm sorry, but there's no other way the phrase this), you are painfully ignorant and blind.

Somewhere to do Boxing classes or lift weights is more important than a disability service? More important than lighting? More important than chaplaincy?

You can get gym facilities anywhere in Dublin.
    The student body absolutely needs a place for physical activity, nutritional education, strength training, personal development, stress relief
    and general health and exercise.
    And yet you still haven't explained why, nor justified why ~17,000 students need to subsidise a small minority.
    Never using the sports facilities is nothing to be proud of, the gym is as busy as ever and this is a good thing in terms of higher numbers attending, but the facilities need a huge overhaul.
    Where did I say it was something to be proud of? I said the majority don't use, do you have some sort of evidence that they do?

17000*€90 + 3400*€399 = ~€2.8m

Where are the published accounts on spending? Where is the breakdown on why the gym needs more than €2.8m a year to operate and upgrade equipment?

Then (and I'm sorry, but there's no other way the phrase this), you are painfully ignorant and blind.

Somewhere to do Boxing classes or lift weights is more important than a disability service? More important than lighting? More important than chaplaincy?

You can get gym facilities anywhere in Dublin.

And yet you still haven't explained why, nor justified why ~17,000 students need to subsidise a small minority.

Where did I say it was something to be proud of? I said the majority don't use, do you have some sort of evidence that they do?

Firstly, thanks for the personal attack.

You need to educate yourself on the services the sports center provides, but posting an exhaustive list of the services they provide would just make you realize it is a fundamental facility for the student body.
    Any other gym you'd pay anywhere from 3-5 times as much.

I have no idea where the published accounts on spending are, why not go look for them, They'd probably be available under FOA. You may think that €2.8M is allot, but it obviously isn't enough.
    I don't know if sports center staff are paid from this or not, but if they are that's 1/2 of it gone already.

• Advertisement

Firstly, thanks for the personal attack.

You need to educate yourself on the services the sports center provides, but posting an exhaustive list of the services they provide would just make you realize it is a fundamental facility for the student body.
    Any other gym you'd pay anywhere from 3-5 times as much.
    I'm well aware of the services it provides. I'm also well aware of the services provided elsewhere in the College that are directly linked to academic learning and ability to progress through college.

You, seemingly, aren't.

The reason you have to pay more in another gym is because there aren't...5?7? other people subsidising your gym membership because they are forced to.

I do await yet more nonsensical arguments.

The accounts don't exist, just like they don't exist for the SU. The SU has repeatedly refused to publish accounts.
    On what planet do you think a student should need to submit an FoI request to view accounts for a Student Body that's meant to be acting on behalf of Students?
    There's no 'obvious' about it. Your logic is quite flawed (SHOCKING!). Just because the Sports Centre says €2.8m isn't enough, doesn't mean it isn't enough.

I'm well aware of the services it provides. I'm also well aware of the services provided elsewhere in the College that are directly linked to academic learning and ability to progress through college.

You, seemingly, aren't.

The reason you have to pay more in another gym is because there aren't...5?7? other people subsidising your gym membership because they are forced to.

I do await yet more nonsensical arguments.

Anything not linked with academic learning and progressing through college should be cut then? College is much more than just progressing and getting your degree, if this is all you're after then I'm very sorry for you.

No 5, 7 other people choose to subsidize you with other gym memberships.
    Plenty of people choose to pay for gym memberships and don't use them.

Anything not linked with academic learning and progressing through college should be cut then? College is much more than just progressing and getting your degree, if this is all you're after then I'm very sorry for you.
    I never said that. That's the second time you've lied about what I've posted. Getting to be a habit, aye.
    No 5, 7 other people choose to subsidize you with other gym memberships.
    Plenty of people choose to pay for gym memberships and don't use them.

That's the whole point. You just agreed with me. Awesome.

I never said that. That's the second time you've lied about what I've posted. Getting to be a habit, aye.

That's the whole point. You just agreed with me. Awesome.

I didn't lie, it was the conclusion drawn from the statement.

I thought the whole point was that people didn't get a choice and the sports center levy was mandatory.:rolleyes:

Oh God, I give up. You could have just posted at the very beginning "I have no logic or facts to back up my opinion that the whole of college should subsidise the minority who actually use the Gym, and have no interest in hearing anything contrary to that".

At least it would have been honest.

I get that you don't like subsidising a service you never use but I do think you're underestimating the importance of exercise to one's overall health. Providing an accessible and affordable place where students can exercise is just as important as the Student Counselling Service or Health Centre. Exercise is scientifically proven to reduce levels of anxiety and depression as well as reducing your risk of numerous diseases and other health issues. These are all really important for students and no one should have a barrier to exercising in a gym or joining a sports club because they can't afford it. I don't use the gym super often myself but as a health scientist I 110% believe the current system of subsidising it is appropriate.

I agree that the funding cuts to DUCAC by the College are unacceptable and that students shouldn't have to continually pick up the slack but unfortunately that wasn't the question put to us.

It was quite obvious that during the first referendum there was very poor awareness about what was being asked (I didn't even know about it until I went to vote), and that regardless of who's fault it was that it wasn't publicised better it needed to be repeated to ensure people actually understood it.

I get that you don't like subsidising a service you never use but I do think you're underestimating the importance of exercise to one's overall health.
    I use the Gym and pay full price this year, until I return in September. Assumptions and all that.

These are all really important for students and no one should have a barrier to exercising in a gym or joining a sports club because they can't afford it.
    People who can't afford it can already have the Sports Centre charge refunded.
    https://www.tcd.ie/Senior_Tutor/pdf/Student%20Sport%20Centre%20Charge%20Waiver%20Application2009.pdf

It was quite obvious that during the first referendum there was very poor awareness about what was being asked (I didn't even know about it until I went to vote), and that regardless of who's fault it was that it wasn't publicised better it needed to be repeated to ensure people actually understood it.
    What evidence do you have that the second vote was more informed, more equitable and fairer? None of my friends were in any way more informed of the second vote. Indeed, they were so unaware of it that they didn't vote.

Let's keep it simple.

There was a preferendum that barely (barely!) passed - 931 to 851.
    A referendum with 4700 votes where No was the overwhelming vote, 58% to 42%
    A repeat referendum with 1335 votes where Yes was the overwhelming choice

We have SU members who say things like;
    "She said that simultaneous campaigning for the SU sabbatical officer elections as well as for two other referendums has made it difficult to effectively inform students about the issues at stake in the sports centre referendum. “As the main focus has been on the sabbatical positions, there has not been enough information given out by College or the SU about the three referendums which are also taking place,” she said, adding that when she started campaigning “very little was known about them and the majority of students were unaware that they were even happening.”"

Followed by

"She said that the absence of a ‘no’ campaign for the referendum is not an issue. “The facts are there for people to make up their minds, so I don’t really think it is a problem,” she explained."

So, the facts weren't there for people voting yes, but the facts WERE there for people voting no. And this was said without even a hint of irony.

That is but one of many examples of such cognitive dissonance and rank hypocrisy by SU members on this issue.

We have people arguing that the increase is needed because the Sports Centre says it is, without the Sports Centre being willing to detail why or how it is.

We have people saying that the majority of Students should subsidise the minority who use the facility, because there should be an affordable gym for students - despite there already being a waiver for students who can't afford the gym, and without any kind of analysis on how non-subsidised gym fees would affect the students who do use it.

Indeed, this thread alone is littered with far more examples of illogical arguments in favour of the increased Sports Centre charge. "Exercise your way out of depression" "Rowing machines will help you with bereavement and loss" "Treadmill twice a day to keep the STIs away". "You can go through college without having the lights on, but not without weight training in the gym!"

Gott im Himmel.

We have people saying that the majority of Students should subsidise the minority who use the facility, because there should be an affordable gym for students - despite there already being a waiver for students who can't afford the gym, and without any kind of analysis on how non-subsidised gym fees would affect the students who do use it.

Indeed, this thread alone is littered with far more examples of illogical arguments in favour of the increased Sports Centre charge. "Exercise your way out of depression" "Rowing machines will help you with bereavement and loss" "Treadmill twice a day to keep the STIs away". "You can go through college without having the lights on, but not without weight training in the gym!"

Gott im Himmel.

Over dramatize as you wish
    There is a wealth of information on the benefit of exercise for a huge amount of conditions, not to mention the preventative aspects of exercise and resistance training.
    http://exerciseismedicine.org.au/public/factsheets

Take the amount of students who you believe use the gym, take the 2.8 million euro number and divide, there's your answer ,non-subsidized gym fees would not be affordable.

Here I don't actually pay enough attention to student politics to know the ins and outs of how it was planned and who said what, all I know is I didn't know anything about it the first time round and I did the second.

I never made any of those statements you have attributed to me, I never claimed exercise or the gym was more important than other student services, I believe it is equally important and therefore we should fund it. Whether or not there are waivers for those who can't afford to pay it is irrelevant because that system exists on the basis that the gym is funded from student fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

To be honest it looks like this whole thing was very undemocratic and orchestrated by a relatively small number of students.

Firstly it was run when most people aren't around college. The ratio of sports centre users to non users goes up hugely at this point, so obviously there would be more yes votes.

Secondly the 'Yes' campaign was overwhelmingly shoved in peoples faces. There was absolutely no neutral material around. The 'Yes' leaflets I saw floating around were filled with hyperbolic phrases and few facts.

I'd like to expand on my first point though. The timing of the election more than anything is what really annoys me about this referendum. It was clearly chosen to reduce the amount of people that would vote no. It should have been held when everybody was around college

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Everythin coming up Milhouse

Whether you were for or against the motion I think most people would agree that it was very poorly run.

For starters there was no impartial information available on either occasion from the SU, like there has been for other referendums e.g. the impeachment referendum last year. The proposed peak fee was speculated to be €30 but nobody could confirm or deny this. An article in the UT said that the increase was required to keep the sports centre viable while the TN reported that it would be used to improve facilities. How can you vote on something if you don't know all the facts?

Also holding it after lectures have finished was a terrible idea. How can you make a decision on something that will affect the whole student body when some members won't be able to vote?

Finally, the referendum was called after 500 people signed a petition for a motion that 4,700 people voted against. That just doesn't make sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 tiro

It's strange to me to have a gym subsidy defended on the quasi-welfarist grounds above. I think that sort of logic makes it easy to see why we might subsidise means-tested schemes (in the way that taxes subsidise social welfare), but I don't know why that would make us think we should subsidise certain lifestyles (the gym-going lifestyle).

I agree that it is good that people should exercise and they will be healthier for it. But there are other ways to exercise that do not require full gym membership. So arguments for the general goodness of exercise don't really seem to me to be terribly convincing arguments in favour of the general goodness of subsidised gym membership.

I don't think I'd mind it as much if it was an opt-out kind of thing. I guess that people in favour of the charge might think that defeats the point of a subsidy (maybe it does, I'm not sure) but again that still leaves open the question as to why we should prefer certain lifestyle choices over others.

tiro wrote: »
    It's strange to me to have a gym subsidy defended on the quasi-welfarist grounds above. I think that sort of logic makes it easy to see why we might subsidise means-tested schemes (in the way that taxes subsidise social welfare), but I don't know why that would make us think we should subsidise certain lifestyles (the gym-going lifestyle).

I agree that it is good that people should exercise and they will be healthier for it. But there are other ways to exercise that do not require full gym membership. So arguments for the general goodness of exercise don't really seem to me to be terribly convincing arguments in favour of the general goodness of subsidised gym membership.

I don't think I'd mind it as much if it was an opt-out kind of thing. I guess that people in favour of the charge might think that defeats the point of a subsidy (maybe it does, I'm not sure) but again that still leaves open the question as to why we should prefer certain lifestyle choices over others.

Because the way the Irish educational system deals with health , fitness , exercise and sports at a primary and secondary level is a joke.
    Cardio Exercise, swimming, weight training, team sport , nutritional information and education is vital. The sports center provides all this and more and its not just for the gym goers, it hosts camps for children, a venue for clubs and societies and hosts a huge amount of varied classes.

There's absolutely no reason not to be going to the sports center and using it in some capacity. Gym going lifestyle , exercise and fitness should be the norm, the problem is people don't realize how important their body is.

Tl;Dr People don't value their health and fitness enough, students have no problem spending 30€ every weekend on nights out but won't pay less than 3€ a week on sports center facilities.

tiro wrote: »

Problem is, a lot of students don't have access to other facilities or have space to exercise in, especially those living in the city centre. Having a gym in college provides an incentive for students to fit exercise into their college routine, and it has enough variety in its facilities and classes to suit everyone from complete beginners to those who follow the 'gym lifestyle' everyone seems to be so against subsidising.

There are services offered by the gym aimed at people who haven't exercised before that help them learn how to exercise , such as being able to meet with a fitness instructor and work out an exercise plan to suit your fitness level and preferences, and often these students wouldn't know where to begin on their own.

Also, the space it offers to sports clubs, which are not only important for the health and fitness of students but also are an important social feature of college and help incoming and continuing students make friends and settle into college life, is crucial and would severely discourage new students from getting involved and trying new sports if each membership cost €30 or more.

For the record, I am by no means a gym buff, I didn't use the gym at all my first 3 years in college and I've never been a member of any sports club, but I've recently started to attend the gym a few times a week and I have noticed a great improvement in my fitness and overall health since I started doing so. If I had to pay for a private gym membership I would definitely have found it a barrier as I wouldn't have been able to afford it and I know personally I wouldn't have had the motivation to make that lifestyle change without access to a gym.

The referendum probably was a mess, it certainly wouldn't surprise me, but I just joined this discussion to argue against those who for some reason believe the gym is a less important student facility than everything else we pay fees for.

Over dramatize as you wish
    There is a wealth of information on the benefit of exercise for a huge amount of conditions, not to mention the preventative aspects of exercise and resistance training.
    http://exerciseismedicine.org.au/public/factsheets

There's such a wealth of information that the only 'evidence' you provide is from a website called "exercise is medicine"?

I never said exercise wasn't beneficial. We are talking about gym facilities. We are talking about whether funding gym facilities is as important as funding health facilities and mental health facilities. There is no evidence out there about exercising in gyms vs exercising outside of them. There is no evidence out there that prevalence of gyms can be linked causatively with fitness. There is no evidence out there of health outcomes of gym fitness vs non gym fitness. Blah blah blah.

As usual, you're blowing smoke out your hole.
    Take the amount of students who you believe use the gym, take the 2.8 million euro number and divide, there's your answer ,non-subsidized gym fees would not be affordable.
    So you don't know how much the fee would be, you don't know what students who would like to use the gym can afford, but you know that the fee would not be affordable?

As usual, you're blowing smoke out your hole.

Nice to see MightyMandarin thanking posts, while he's still too afraid to acknowledge his only contribution to this thread was wholly erroneous.

There's a correlation between exercise and health, in this thread there's a correlation between supporters of the increased fee, and being thoroughly misinformed.

Make of it what you will.

Nice to see MightyMandarin thanking posts, while he's still too afraid to acknowledge his only contribution to this thread was wholly erroneous.

You have some chip on your shoulder lad, and I honestly can't understand how this referendum causes you to be as angry and vicious as you are acting. I thanked the posts because I thought they made valid arguments, arguments which were a lot better than the ones I made.

Like I said, I'm not involved in student politics, the info I went by came from my friends who are in sports clubs, so it was a bit biased, and I voted yes because I didn't €30 was such a massive increase in our fees.

Obviously this means a lot to you, but I really couldn't care less. I hope you won't explode into a ball of rage after reading this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Tl;Dr People don't value their health and fitness enough, students have no problem spending 30€ every weekend on nights out but won't pay less than 3€ a week on sports center facilities.

The problem isn't that people won't spend money for their health here, it's that people don't have a choice in what they are paying. A lot of people exercise and don't use the trinity facilities.

For instance, most people i know who play rugby and GAA in college are members of their home club rather than the trinity one. There's a lot of rugby players who won't use the gym for training as the availability of free weights is very poor. A know personally a few of these lads who feel they have no choice but to get an outside gym membership in order to train properly alongside their academic schedule. A single gym membership might be doable for a student, but if you're throwing in another 120 that you're not using, it gets even tougher.

While we're on the topic of fitness, it should be pointed out that the usage of bikes has gone up like crazy. There are a load of people who cycle for up to a few hours a day just getting around town, you can hardly say that they need to go to the gym for cardio.

Also in reality, the yearly fee is for half a year for most students. Very few students actualy stay in Dublin during breaks, and most go home for good during christmas and the summer.

Anyway, for the sake of fairness i'd like to point out that i personally do use the sports centre and personally don't mind the raise. But as i said in my last post, the problem i have is with the way the referendum was run. If the actual upsides to a no vote were publicised and the referendum was held during term time, it's unlikely that a yes vote would have been the outcome.

You have some chip on your shoulder lad, and I honestly can't understand how this referendum causes you to be as angry and vicious as you are acting. I thanked the posts because I thought they made valid arguments, arguments which were a lot better than the ones I made.

Like I said, I'm not involved in student politics, the info I went by came from my friends who are in sports clubs, so it was a bit biased, and I voted yes because I didn't €30 was such a massive increase in our fees.

Obviously this means a lot to you, but I really couldn't care less. I hope you won't explode into a ball of rage after reading this post.

No, it was entirely incorrect. As was pointed out to you, with evidence.

Yet here you are, finally responding and not acknowledging that you posted things that were blatantly untrue.

Instead, you claim instead that you posted things that were 'a bit biased'.

You couldn't make up the replies from people on this thread. The cognitive dissonance and failure at basic logic would be hilarious if it weren't so disturbing.

Advertisement