Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seagate 5TB USB 3.0 Desktop Expansion Hard Drive - £130GBP -Free Shipping [Amazon UK]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,630 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

Great price.

Would the more learned among us be able to tell me if most media players can read a 5tb hdd? I'd have thought they wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭eoin1539

Looks like a really good hard drive. Only problem is that it's a desktop hard drive. I prefer portable ones they're handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,967 ✭✭✭✭Esel

eoin1539 wrote: »
    Looks like a really good hard drive. Only problem is that it's a desktop hard drive. I prefer portable ones they're handier.
    You'll be waiting a while for a 5TB portable drive.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Great price... perfect backup drive. Good find!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Esel wrote: »

I was looking for an external/portable 3TB last week but all of them required an external power source (which for me is a pain in the arse).

Based on that it will be a long time before you can get a 5TB one!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭eoin1539

Esel wrote: »

Ye haha. I've a 500gb hard drive and a 250gb ssd and I only use just under half of my hard drive and only a tiny bit of my ssd. I've a backup portable drive of 2gb, it's a WD passport and it seems to be enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Anything over 2TB uses a GPT partition table which needs a UEFI bios enabled motherboard if you wanted to use it as a boot drive just a FYI

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Performance seems good (120MB/s ish), just dont be tempted to put all your data on one of these, chances of a URE increase as data density increases, and I doubt this is one of the new helium drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Got mine today. Quick delivery. Paid £108 (€142) in the end.

Out of stock now and up to €150.

The 4Tb looks decent value now though.
    Down to £95.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭randombar

Hmmmm with the new sizes coming out what are peoples recommendations on these for a Raid 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

How will you back this up ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

beauf wrote: »
    How will you back this up ......

buy 2 :D

Beano wrote: »
    buy 2 :D

Exactly, currently have 4 x 3TB Raid 1 but might replace that with 2 x 5TB Raid 1

Finding a 4 disk raid 1 is hard to upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Picked up the 4TB at £95 yesterday, worth it - thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭davo2001

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Exactly, currently have 4 x 3TB Raid 1 but might replace that with 2 x 5TB Raid 1

Finding a 4 disk raid 1 is hard to upgrade

RAID1 is 2 disks only. Are you referring to RAID10?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

I bought this last week in Argos... the 4Tb version for 128
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2388421/Trail/searchtext%3E4TB.htm With price per mb it's pretty close.

Ix.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭top_dog

Would this work with a smart TV for recording live TV? Or would a harddrive with it's own power supply be required? I have a Panasonic TX-P50VT65B.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

top_dog wrote: »
    Would this work with a smart TV for recording live TV? Or would a harddrive with it's own power supply be required? I have a Panasonic TX-P50VT65B.

The harddrives mentioned on this thread have a power supply, i.e. they are not portable harddrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

top_dog wrote: »

Best advised to use a hard drive with a power supply - the manual doesn't envisage using a portable:

10wnq8j.jpg

• Advertisement

davo2001 wrote: »
    RAID1 is 2 disks only. Are you referring to RAID10?

Sorry have 2 Raid1 across 4 disk.

I.E. 6TB of storage across 4 disks.

Advertisement