Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rent or drive your own car

Options
  • 07-04-2015 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

hi all,
    i have a 1000km journey to do with work. question i have is that i can rent a car for €90 over three days to cover the mileage. if i'm able to claim for 0.5907 per km, then would i be better off renting a car rather than putting my car on the road.
    i have 1.6 diesel 2012 with 92k km on the clock.
    I've never rented a car, so don't know the in's and outs of the business to make a fair judgement.

thanks everyone.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I doubt that an extra 1,000kms will cost €90 in depreciation of your own car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

A thousand km won't devalue your car by €90. The car you get could be a petrol therefore costing you more on fuel - you're not going to get much for €30 a day. I'd use my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

59.07 cents a km equates to 590euro so minus 90 and minus say 120 for diesel leaves you with 380 or thereabouts plus 1000km less on your car.

However you may need extra insurance on the hire car

Oh just though that you might only be able to claim the mileage if you use your car

Check it out first that you can get mileage! If so using your own might just pay for the next service/road tax

• Registered Users Posts: 37 collinseliza

Thanks everyone for that, it seems pretty clear from the responses that using my own car is the better option to go with. Goldenhoarde- i was going to just rent and say nothing, i didn't think that my work would be any the wiser.

again thanks to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Depending on the car you rent, most likely a diesel in Ireland, it will come with a full tank. You'd easily get a sizable dint of 1000km out of it driven economically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

ironclaw wrote: »
    Depending on the car you rent, most likely a diesel in Ireland, it will come with a full tank. You'd easily get a sizable dint of 1000km out of it driven economically.

But you'd also have to fill it back up. Possibly twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Pick up full, return full.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Where I work if you rent a car they cover all the expenses including insurance and petrol. You should ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

TBi wrote: »
    Where I work if you rent a car they cover all the expenses including insurance and petrol. You should ask.

Out of interest where do you work if you don't mind me asking? Your company has to charge a premium for that service

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

duffman13 wrote: »
    Out of interest where do you work if you don't mind me asking? Your company has to charge a premium for that service

Probably cheaper than a mileage claim.

EDIT - If it's for long distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't think tbi works in a car rental company, his company's policy is to cover rental, fuel etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

duffman13 wrote: »

Its fairly common. All my foreign rental expenses are covered by the company.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Its fairly common. All my foreign rental expenses are covered by the company.

Yep I've worked places who cover car rental , it can be cheaper than mileage claims

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Same here, if we rent a car the company pays for it and the fuel etc via submitted receipts. If you use your own car you can claim the maximum under revenue and you'll easily be up €400+ after fuel costs so it's a no-brainer in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

You only have to upgrade if you use your car for work on an ongoing basis. If you are using your car for travelling to and from, say, a training facility then you don't need to change your cover. You are still travelling to 'work' just work has moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Same here, if we rent a car the company pays for it and the fuel etc via submitted receipts. If you use your own car you can claim the maximum under revenue and you'll easily be up €400+ after fuel costs so it's a no-brainer in this case.

Oh to work somewhere with a generous mileage rate. Ours is 12c :(

Probably different circumstances. But good to get it in writing or at least call up and see what they say.

Advertisement