Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs and Societies

• 09-01-2008 4:19pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Promote your college clubs and societies!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ccmonkey

NCISUN Students' Union Newsletter are in desperate need of staff.

If you have an hour each week to spare please contact

editor@ncisun.com:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

This college sucks I don't even go to it but I have knowing I might not get the points.

Nobody uses this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭swapple

What? How do you know it sucks of you don't go to the college?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

This college sucks I don't even go to it but I have knowing I might not get the points.

Nobody uses this forum.

Less of the pointless derogatory posts please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

New this year for 2010 is the NCI DJing Society. Any DJ's in NCI just become a Facebook Member and we'll hook you up with all the meetings etc.
    Facebook Page : NCI DJing Society

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Less of the pointless derogatory posts please.

I went to NCI for 5 years. I stand by freeze4real's comments. NCI is a joke.

Edit:

And tbh, its true, nobody uses this forum. Just look at the frequency at which people post, I bet less than 1% of students in NCI even KNOW about this forum, let alone visit here to see that nobody's posted.

Well I know if I was in a college I thought was a joke I wouldnt stay there for 5 years.
    And I do agree probably only 1% do know about this section of boards. Doesn't mean its a bad idea. I doubt 100% of Ireland know about boards.ie but doesn't mean it's a bad idea and should be deleted does it?

DubDJ wrote: »
    Well I know if I was in a college I thought was a joke I wouldnt stay there for 5 years.
    And I do agree probably only 1% do know about this section of boards. Doesn't mean its a bad idea. I doubt 100% of Ireland know about boards.ie but doesn't mean it's a bad idea and should be deleted does it?

Good point. But in fairness, it could be more livelier in here - a quick email to the SU to get them to tell people about the forum is all it takes, yet its never happened. To know about this forum you have to stumble upon it, as if by accident.

Regarding staying at NCI, that's a fair point to make and tbh I'm surprised your the first to make it in all my discussions about NCI. The honest truth is that you only realise how bad things are once your 2-3yrs in and are often lead by the promises of the faculty that things will get better, naivete is a terrible thing.

My caveat is that I know of people who enjoyed their stay at NCI, but you'll often find they weren't in the computing department. The business section is far better treated on the whole.

SolarNexus wrote: »
    Good point. But in fairness, it could be more livelier in here - a quick email to the SU to get them to tell people about the forum is all it takes, yet its never happened. To know about this forum you have to stumble upon it, as if by accident.

Regarding staying at NCI, that's a fair point to make and tbh I'm surprised your the first to make it in all my discussions about NCI. The honest truth is that you only realise how bad things are once your 2-3yrs in and are often lead by the promises of the faculty that things will get better, naivete is a terrible thing.

My caveat is that I know of people who enjoyed their stay at NCI, but you'll often find they weren't in the computing department. The business section is far better treated on the whole.

Yeah perhaps your right maybe i'll bring it up on the Facebook page as theres a lot of activity there.

I do understand what you mean I know two chaps who joined and were in the computer class and both dropped out. It really is a business orientated college. With all resources pointed towards business.
    I hope I don't deal with those problems. So far its going good. I am only a fresher though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,549 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

some things never change

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

SolarNexus wrote: »

I know it's an old post but I can't see why the SU would be bothered about a boards presence when FB has pretty much constant activity and everyone knows about it.

Jay D wrote: »
    I know it's an old post but I can't see why the SU would be bothered about a boards presence when FB has pretty much constant activity and everyone knows about it.

A lot of things have changed in the 2yrs since that post...

kind of pointless dredging it up to point out the obvious, no?

Em - yeah I don't really see the point of dragging up a 2 year old thread when things were different 2 years ago

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Things were not that different two years ago, Facebook was still the main point of contact and although more have taken it upon themselves to set their own up, there was still a central SU, Clubs and Socs, Ents etc page. So the point still stands. I don't see how boards should have been a central point of contact.

Things were not that different two years ago, Facebook was still the main point of contact and although more have taken it upon themselves to set their own up, there was still a central SU, Clubs and Socs, Ents etc page. So the point still stands. I don't see how boards should have been a central point of contact.

It was just a suggestion that someone made.

That's all.

I don't think it's really necessary to come back 2 years later and question the suggestion. NCISU has gone through ups and downs of it's web presence over the years.

Terry Pratchet

I didn't question anything but I was just pointing out that there were good alternatives, that's all. The original point had been that this forum is inactive, obviously a clear indicator if NCI's activity?

All I'll say is that anyone who does want to get involved or start something had the opportunity then and still do today. People will always be quick to criticise whereas if they took the time to actually get involved they'll see that there's loads to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

Bit dissapionted with the clubs and socs coming to this college, not even a comp soc or futsal or frizbee.. Only have really competative teams for football and basketball :(

Bit dissapionted with the clubs and socs coming to this college, not even a comp soc or futsal or frizbee.. Only have really competative teams for football and basketball :(

Could you get a group together and start a new club or society yourself. I did that myself in NCI.

Terry Pratchet

Could you get a group together and start a new club or society yourself. I did that myself in NCI.

Well im only a newbie but yeah i hope to seen as its lacking a few can one person set it up or dose it have to be a group? Whats involved ?

Well im only a newbie but yeah i hope to seen as its lacking a few can one person set it up or dose it have to be a group? Whats involved ?

I dont know how it works but maybe contact this guy

http://ncisu.ie/clubsandsocieties/

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

I ran the previous computer society. I held talks, arranged speakers, ran events, I know the pain of getting anything done in NCI. Only too well

If you want a computer society. You must do it yourself.

If you need *any* help setting a computer society, get in touch with me, I'll do whatever I can to help you out.

The computer society kept me sane in NCI, it sharpened my skills, and we were the talk of NCI at the time. There's nothing better for you than to run one, with a couple mates or by yourself.

I also run the lock picking group in Tog hacker space (www.tog.ie), if you're around tomorrow at 7:30pm drop by and we can chat about it.

Sean

@sean_nicholls on twitter

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

being involved in a compsoc is also really good cv material.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

Yep NCI big let down for sports alri i signed up for good few socs an two sports and having heard from most them yet ya wonder are they are doing.

Hardly any sport for the non talented footballers.. For people that wanna have fun. Im gonna try set up something myself soon hopefully it will go well I just need funds and promote it

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jd1594

Yep NCI big let down for sports alri i signed up for good few socs an two sports and having heard from most them yet ya wonder are they are doing.

Hardly any sport for the non talented footballers.. For people that wanna have fun. Im gonna try set up something myself soon hopefully it will go well I just need funds and promote it

In the same boat. Lost count of the socs I signed up for, and with the intention of trying out everything the only half active ones seem to be Fashion/Music/Gaming.

And yeah, not a talented sportsman myself but love the craic of it. Hit me up a PM if you're still interested in setting something up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

jd1594 wrote: »
    In the same boat. Lost count of the socs I signed up for, and with the intention of trying out everything the only half active ones seem to be Fashion/Music/Gaming.

And yeah, not a talented sportsman myself but love the craic of it. Hit me up a PM if you're still interested in setting something up.

I'm on the committee for the Gaming Soc and all of the committee are first years so next semester we'll start kicking off as many events as possible. Good thing we should get the PS4 in January as I donated my GameStop pre-order.

You have a fair point that many of the societys and clubs are not active which is a shame to be honest. I'm a hurling man and I went into the SU to organise a hurling club but got no reply since. I go in and ask them again 'cause I don't see why they can't do both Gaelic and Hurling in the GAA club.

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I'm on the committee for the Gaming Soc and all of the committee are first years so next semester we'll start kicking off as many events as possible. Good thing we should get the PS4 in January as I donated my GameStop pre-order.

You have a fair point that many of the societys and clubs are not active which is a shame to be honest. I'm a hurling man and I went into the SU to organise a hurling club but got no reply since. I go in and ask them again 'cause I don't see why they can't do both Gaelic and Hurling in the GAA club.

Because they dont give a **** ! They dont promote any of the sports or socs they just have their own click which even some get paid and just orgainse their own lil sessions in the SU.. I will say tho the karting is run well if you dont mind traveling to cork and belfast occasionally for races, but compared to other colleges the sports and soc seen has to be possibly the worse and it being a small college is no excuse not to even promote sports and socs each year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Because they dont give a **** ! They dont promote any of the sports or socs they just have their own click which even some get paid and just orgainse their own lil sessions in the SU.. I will say tho the karting is run well if you dont mind traveling to cork and belfast occasionally for races, but compared to other colleges the sports and soc seen has to be possibly the worse and it being a small college is no excuse not to even promote sports and socs each year
    Aye thats the attitude they seem to have and hang out with their own little gang in the SU most of the time.

It's a shame though and I don't think anybody running in next year's election will sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Privat

Hi All,

Anyone knows what is the timetable in NCI for part time Higher Diploma In Computing?

Thanks

Advertisement