Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

menoscemo wrote: »
    You can buy a headtorch in most outdoor pursuit shops (think camping shops, hiking/skiing shops etc) and in most running shops. It's a great investment that allows me to run in parks all through the winter months.

I have a head torch and would just love to run in empty parks at night. Do you worry about your personal safety though? I walk around remote places during the day and my friends/family think I'm reckless but I refuse to compromise on life because of an outside chance of some perv having a go. I have a personal alarm but it's chunky so I never bring it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

hubba wrote: »
    I have a head torch and would just love to run in empty parks at night. Do you worry about your personal safety though? I walk around remote places during the day and my friends/family think I'm reckless but I refuse to compromise on life because of an outside chance of some perv having a go. I have a personal alarm but it's chunky so I never bring it.

Personally no, I have never worried about personal safety doing . I am more afraid of meeting rodents!! But then again I am male.

Not many scumbags are out in the dark cold winter nights in the park tbh, I have only ever met fellow runners or walkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

menoscemo wrote: »
    Personally no, I have never worried about personal safety doing . I am more afraid of meeting rodents!! But then again I am male.

Not many scumbags are out in the dark cold winter nights in the park tbh, I have only ever met fellow runners or walkers.

Thanks Menoscemo - I might give it a go, so. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Determined

w1d3 today.

Did something unusual. A bunch of friends were going ice skating but i knew i had to fit my run in. So did my routine on ice! Was actually a lot tougher than i thought it would be!

By the way, this was in Germany and not the madness that is the RDS. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

1st time posting here but I hope someone can help me.

A little background history. I have never ran/jogged in my life.
    Played football but that is the only sport bar martial arts that I competed in.

I started c25k back in Aug and by Oct I was able to reach the 5k.Delighted when I reached the 5k and moved onto reaching 6k.

I jog 2-3 times a week and usually do just the 5km and maybe 6 on a Sat. if I feel I can do it.

My next aim is to go quicker but I will show you guys some stats below showing my times (please dont laugh :o).

According to Runkeeper:
    My average speed is 8.5km/h
    My average Pace is 6:45 min/km

I have read through alot of posts here and people saying doing quick runs and slow runs etc but I am a bit lost to be honest.

Do I do these fast runs for 5km or do i just go out and do a fast 2.5km.
    Not 100% whats the best way but any help/advise would be greatly appreciated and I will come back with improved times and post them up here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You are probably doing all of your runs at around the same pace right now, and each run is about as fast as you think you can go for the distance?

So the first step is to slow down. Go a bit slower than you think you can, on most of your runs. If you run a longer distance on the weekend, go even slower than that.

Then on one run a week/fortnight, you can try running faster. Warmup at your easy pace for a km, run 3 faster than usual, and cooldown with a km at the end. Or go easy/fast/easy/fast/easy. Or pick even shorter distances, a loop of the park or the length/a lap of a football pitch, and alternate fast and slow runs.

Best of all - join a local running club :) Pretty much every club will have some people around your standard, and they'll all let you try out one or two sessions so you can see what they do before joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Thanks alot for the advise RayCun will try this over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Hi I was wondering I'd I could get some advice. Ran w4d3 last Monday but have not started into week 5 yet as have been unwell. I don't see myself up to getting out running til after the weekend. Should I try start off week 5 and see how I get on despite quite a break? What do everyone else do if they have to take a break in the middle?

There's no harm in repeating a couple of sessions, if you'd feel more comfortable doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Urquell

sillymoo wrote: »
    Hi I was wondering I'd I could get some advice. Ran w4d3 last Monday but have not started into week 5 yet as have been unwell. I don't see myself up to getting out running til after the weekend. Should I try start off week 5 and see how I get on despite quite a break? What do everyone else do if they have to take a break in the middle?

I missed 2.5 weeks at the end of week 7 due to Pulling one of my Hamstrings in November. I waited it out til the stiffness went then caught some sort of cold. About 3 weeks altogether missed.

As soon as I felt able to Run again, I just went back to the start of week 7. My first day, I managed a 25 minute outing with two stops for about 90 seconds and wheezed over the line to make the full 25 mins. You do notice that the fitness slips somewhat but I was surprised at how well I could still do after 3 weeks off. Ive pencilled in Monday 26th to start Week 8 no matter what.

Sounds like youre going to miss a week? I would say come Monday, try W4D3 again. (It should give you an idea if you need to stick with W4 for a bit longer) You will probably be well able for it and look to move to Week 5 on Wed.

Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Thanks a million for the advice - just need to get over what I have and get out there again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭thumper10

hi there, so my next run tomorrow before the christmas party is W2D2, completed the C25k last yr, and just started back at it, i've torn ligament in my ankle, and was wondering if anyone has advise on how to strengthen it, really felt it after the W2D1, it was fine but a few twinges while running,,,,thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lisacon

Hi,

Sorry if this has already been asked - but what speed should i be aiming for? I'll be on the treadmill as can't handle the outdoors just yet!!

I started in the gym recently and have started jogging, i use the term jogging loosely!! :p

Just come across the c25k app, and going to start on week 4..........I woudld guess walking at 4mph and running at 5.5ph? Is this ok?

Thanks Very much answering :D

lisacon wrote: »
    Sorry if this has already been asked - but what speed should i be aiming for?

Whatever works for you. The right speed is the speed that you can maintain for all of the running intervals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Hi all

Hope somebody can help with some advice. Started C25k after slipping into worst shape of my life (I hit 40 this year and weigh 3 stone more than when I hit 30!), and am up to W3D1 without any real hassle, but now my knees are hurting and I'm starting to wonder just a bit if I might be in danger of doing some damage.

Anyone else come across this and is there any good general advice? I've done all the googling and come across terms like 'pronation' (never heard the word before!), just wondering though if there might be some simple advice before I head down that road?

Thanks in advance.

Your knees are most likely just complaining because they aren't used to the strain you're putting them under. Some general advice
    • Get a decent pair of runners, from a proper running shop
    • Run on grass where you can, it's softer underfoot
    • Build up the distance you run slowly - couch25k is good for that
    • Lose weight. The more you weigh, the more stress you put on your legs. Running won't burn off a lot of calories on its own, you need to diet too.

Thanks for the advice, Raycun. I'm kind of following some of it already, but could do better on others:

My runners are probably all wrong. Particularly noticed it today - they pinch one side of my foot, so I tend to favour the other, so I daresay all the twisting and turning of joints is probably doing the damage. Will get to a decent shop soon as I can - I expect to be in Dublin next week and have heard of 'Runways' on Parnell Street - they seem to be the business.

I'll run on grass more. What I've been doing so far is running on the road as far as the local GAA park and then doing a few laps of the grounds there, but maybe I'll just drive or cycle up for a while and then do all the running on grass.

Distance wise, am following the plan, so that's okay!

Lose weight - have been cutting out a lot of the more unhealthy stuff from my diet, and am already half a stone lighter than on January 1. So making some progress there.

We'll see how it goes from here - hopefully I'll post back next time with an 'all good' notice! Thanks again for the advice

Well, this thread seems to have quietened down a bit........

Anyway, up to W7 D1 now (25 minute run) with my new 'proper' running shoes, knocking knees are a thing of the past, and am generally feeling a lot better when out traipsing around. Even look forward to going running now - wouldn't have believed that back in my lazy days of just a few months ago! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

Duffryman wrote: »
    Well, this thread seems to have quietened down a bit........

Anyway, up to W7 D1 now (25 minute run) with my new 'proper' running shoes, knocking knees are a thing of the past, and am generally feeling a lot better when out traipsing around. Even look forward to going running now - wouldn't have believed that back in my lazy days of just a few months ago! :)

That's brilliant Duffryman. Keep it up and you'll never look back, but I think you already know that. Have you registered for a 5k yet? Given that you are less than three weeks away from finishing C25K, it would a good way to mark the achievement. You'll feel great for it.

hey everyone, well its been a while, but i'm back doing the C25K, up to W4D2, fell it on the hips a bit, and on my ankle which i torn ligaments in last year, but it feels great been back on it, i'm running on the treadmill at the minute, to build up the muscles before venturing out on the road...must try and find a few 5k runs now to take part in...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Have you registered for a 5k yet?.

Hi, thanks for the praise and the encouragement, always nice to hear! :)

There's a 5k on locally on the morning of St. Patrick's Day. I intend that to be my first run in lots of company. Should be an old hat at doing 5k by myself by then - am going out on W8D1 tonight (28 minutes) and so will be up to 5k/30 mins a week or two ahead of March 17

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭snoopy12

Hiya, I'm on week 3 of c25k runningmate. I am doing the 3 runs per week but I feel I need to do more to loose weight / tone up.can anyone recommend what I can be doing in another couple of gym visits?

so did w5d3 this morning, ankle a bit stiff, not not any more than last week, so delighted :D

cant really find any 5k runs near me coming up, and the only one that is near i'm not here for it, darn it

• Registered Users Posts: 12 snoops

W8 for me too here. Doing Day 1 tomorrow. Signed up for a 4miler on Saturday 25th of March in Dunboyne which I'm hoping to walk/Jog as much as I can.

Being the optomistic fool I am, have also signed up for the flora mini marathon too ..

Good luck to all this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

In the middle of C2%K myself, found this which I might try once I graduate @ Week9

Gerschler Fartlek
    Suitable for getting fit quickly when combined with steady running.
    • 10 minutes warm up
    • Stride hard for 30 seconds, jog for 90 seconds (repeat three times). Repeat again with 15 seconds less recovery. Continue to repeat, reducing recovery by 15 seconds until your intervals consist of 30 seconds stride, 15 seconds jog.
    • 10 minute cool down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Bernso

Hey all,
    I finished couch25K in December and have never looked back.
    Snoopy12, three runs a week is enough once you get up to the end but add in walks on one or two of the other days if ya want to aid weight loss!!

Duffryman where is the 5k Paddy's day - may do it? Also where'd ya get the runners in the end. I really need to invest as one of my knees is beginning to play up.
    May do the 4miler in Dunboyne either that Snoops mentioned!

C25K is an amazing programme. i never thought I'd ever be a runner and now can do 5K no problem.
    I do like to stick to 3 times a week max though as I find I need the recovery time for my joints. However I add in walks to get out a bit more. I find the walking also just increases my cardiovascular fitness which helps with the running.
    Well done to all :)

Have a look at the race calendar to see when races are coming up.
    There are 5ks in Portlaoise and Athboy on the 17th, and one in Dublin city centre on the 18th

raycun....are there any more 5k runs around, not around on the 17th for the portlaois run, and would love to get signed up for a 5k run...thanks

There's Athboy and Dublin city centre the same weekend...
    Here's a few more
    http://www.runireland.com/events?tid=All&term_node_tid_depth=14&term_node_tid_depth_1=6

• Advertisement

Hi folks

Bernso, the 5k I'm going to do on St Patrick's Day is in Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford, so if you're talking about Dunboyne for something else then it probably doesn't suit you. It's not listed on that Run Ireland calender - it's just a charity fundraiser being run by a GAA club there. I'm involved in our own GAA club here just a few miles out the road, so am going in to support it.

I got the runners afterwards by making a trip to Dublin to head for Runways on Parnell Street (www.runways.ie). Cost me €105 but well worth it and would recommend anybody doing the same if they intend to see out the C25K and keep it up after that.

Finished the progamme myself last week and am stretching it out just a little further now - ran 4.5 miles this morning, for instance. There's a 10k near me at the end of April that I'm aiming for now as well. Onwards and upwards!

Good luck to all still going through the programme itself. Stick with it. Found it a little tough myself at certain stages, but came through it and feel great about it. If it works for me, it can work for everyone else too! :)

Advertisement