Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Froch-GGG September, Wembley

• 21-05-2015 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,570 ✭✭✭✭

What do ya reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I would hope GGG absolutely batters Froch if the fight happens.Something very dislikeable about Froch.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Froch & Eddie Hearn are talking to K2 promotions about fighting GGG at 168lbs. Want a Wembley fight. Would be one hell of a match up.

Great fight if it's made, will really tell us a lot about GGG. Froch does come across as a bit of a cock but he's a great competator and assuming its made for Wembley or Vegas he'll be hugely motivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Great fight if it's made, will really tell us a lot about GGG. Froch does come across as a bit of a cock but he's a great competator and assuming its made for Wembley or Vegas he'll be hugely motivated.

Has the makings of a cracker. Froch is still one of the top fighters at 168lb & would have height, reach & likely weight advantage. I would be worried about ring rust for Froch.

I think that GGG would win, more likely on points than KO but I can see Froch rattling him like no-one else has & a parting KO isn't out of the question.

If GGG leaves his chin out there like normal Froch will find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Has the makings of a cracker. Froch is still one of the top fighters at 168lb & would have height, reach & likely weight advantage. I would be worried about ring rust for Froch.

I think that GGG would win, more likely on points than KO but I can see Froch rattling him like no-one else has & a parting KO isn't out of the question.

If GGG leaves his chin out there like normal Froch will find it.

GGG tends to get hit a few times, however, Froch eats a few slaps himself & has been on the canvass a few times. Froch's guard is poor so I would expect him to get caught early on. His recovery would be truly tested, in Wembley, in front of 80,000 people. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Interesting fight, I don't think Golovkin has been crying out for a step up in weight but also don't think Froch is the man to take advantage. Golovkin is just a much better fighter than Froch in all areas but still interesting to see how GGG does against a genuine super middle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,570 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The layoff for Froch is something that could help or hinder him. As to the size, Froch doesn't rehydrate all that much, but he's ripped and natural 171-172 lbs on fight night, Kessler and Bute weights. GGG rehydrates a fair bit from 160. He was over 170 vs. Monore and heavier against Rubio. 174.5lbs at the official 30-day weigh-in for Rubio. But, it's not just a weight number. Froch is taller and rangier and I would think the physically stronger natural man.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Froch is too crude for GGG. Even with the size and reach advantage, I can only see this going one way.

Kirby wrote: »
    Froch is too crude for GGG. Even with the size and reach advantage, I can only see this going one way.

His "crudeness" was only ever exploited once, by an excellent Ward. Ward is a great in any era. And Ward was not some average sized MW.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Diddley Squat

Nah , its not going to happen.
    At the same time, It would be a great fight for as long as it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

I don't think it will happen. But if it did it would all depend on how Golovkin's power carries. It would certainly be a spectacular affair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭weemcd

Not gonna happen. If it did put the house on GGG ko

I'd be far more excited about this fight than the Mayweather v Pacman non event. It's an intriguing contest, does Frochs chin stand up to GGG s power, does GGG s power translate to the bigger weight class, can Frochs size and power trouble GGG who hasn't been hurt at middle weight?

For what its worth I think GGG wins this, he can win both ways, by boxing or fighting, Froch althought at times underrated only wins this via an attritional KO so for that reason I give it to GGG.

Should Froch win this where does it put him in the list of all time British fighters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

Thinking about the Murray fight, how long he lasted and the amount of leather he landed, I have real doubts about how Golovkin fares at 168. Froch has aged a bit but if he's in good shape I could see him outlasting Golovkin and grinding him down late on.

Maybe GGG will be a monster at 168 too but I'll have to see it before I believe it.

GGG does seem to get hit a bit but is that more down to a lack of respect for his opponents power or a poor defense? Supposedly never been decked even in sparing so may just have a really good chin along with everything else. In any case Froch will test that fully if he connects. We might see a far more wary GGG in this one if it goes ahead.

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    GGG does seem to get hit a bit but is that more down to a lack of respect for his opponents power or a poor defense? Supposedly never been decked even in sparing so may just have a really good chin along with everything else. In any case Froch will test that fully if he connects. We might see a far more wary GGG in this one if it goes ahead.

He seems to neglect defense a bit when he knows the power hitting him isn't great. Thing is, will his offense suffer vs. Froch because he has to be more cognizant about his defense? It's not that easy to be very offensively effective and committed when you need to make sure you don't get caught and hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Eddie Hearn needs to pull this out of the bag because his cards of late have been poor. Froch will obviously give golovkin his toughest fight. I think Froch will touch the mat at least once but last the 12 rounds and lose by UD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭clubwelly

Yeah this one is interesting as Froch will get hit and so will GGG.

I know GGG said he let Munroe have a few rounds but I thought he was caught alot more in that fight than anyother. I'm not saying that Froch is any slick counter puncher but he does have heavy hands.

It would be a great fight if it was made as GGG isn't getting anyother big names. Both Canelo and Cotto would rather fight each other and it looks like Andy is going to fight Billy Joe Saunders

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Froch can box a bit too don't forget. When he went in against Abraham we were told he was in serious bother but he moved well and didn't get bogged down in a total war.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭clubwelly

Yeah you're right FTA. I'm a Froch fan but he did get caught in the 12th in that fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Froch looks genuinely excited about the prospect of fighting GGG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Dirrell also hurt Froch bad once or twice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I just dont rate Froch as highly as some round here. I think he would get destroyed by GGG. I would be surprised if this fight went ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I just dont rate Froch as highly as some round here. I think he would get destroyed by GGG. I would be surprised if this fight went ahead.

Yep, can't see Froch putting a dent on GGG.
    Froch v DeGale would be more evenly matched with Froch probably stopping him late on.

I wouldn't call it highly rating Froch because we think he stands a chance against a clearly smaller man who still has some proving to do, and definite proving at 168 lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

walshb wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it highly rating Froch because we think he stands a chance against a clearly smaller man who still has some proving to do, and definite proving at 168 lbs.

Exactly. I don't ever remember Froch getting destroyed by anyone, let alone someone from a lower weight division.

It is a fight I am looking forward to seeing though. Will certainly be more entertaining than that overhyped borefest at the beginning of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

It's a fight I wouldn't bet on. GGG looks the part so far, Froch has been in wars and isn't getting any younger (37 or 38 now?) - his layoff could be of benefit in that respect.

Both can punch, both can box when they want. But ultimately I feel Froch's age catches him and GGG gets the KO. 4 years ago it would be a different story imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I still don't think this fight hasn't a hope of happening. Golovkin has arguably bigger and perhaps easier fights ahead in Cotto and Canelo. Why move to 168 to fight Froch who is without a title when you can fight Cotto, grab another belt and make far much more money and get more exposure by fighting in the Garden. And it's an easier fight too as Cotto is almost equally on decline as Froch, is the smaller man and has been KO'd before. It'd be an easy choice for me tbh if I was Golovkin. I realise Cotto probably doesn't want the fight but sooner or later it'll be ordered. And Golovkin could always take out Groves or DeGale at 168 after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I still don't think this fight hasn't a hope of happening. Golovkin has arguably bigger and perhaps easier fights ahead in Cotto and Canelo. Why move to 168 to fight Froch who is without a title when you can fight Cotto, grab another belt and make far much more money and get more exposure by fighting in the Garden. And it's an easier fight too as Cotto is almost equally on decline as Froch, is the smaller man and has been KO'd before. It'd be an easy choice for me tbh if I was Golovkin. I realise Cotto probably doesn't want the fight but sooner or later it'll be ordered. And Golovkin could always take out Groves or DeGale at 168 after that.

The Cotto fight isn't really there for GGG. If Cotto can actually get past Geale (and imo he won't), then he'll be matched up with Canelo....actually the Canelo fight could happen even if Cotto lost to Geale.
    But the point is a match between Golovkin and Cotto won't happen unless Cotto beats Geale and Canelo back to back, and the chances of that are very, very slim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2015/06/froch-expected-to-make-decision-on-golovkin-fight-this-week/

Agree with the writer at the end but not his analysis of the DeGale fight.

Anyway Froch may want GGG but who's to say the fight would interest GGG.

Advertisement