Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2015 Season Thread

• 04-03-2015 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭

We may have 2 feet of snow.....but IT'S HERE! Spring training games started yesterday....less than 5 weeks to Opening Day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Morrison J

My way too early first take-away from spring training is Pedroia and Harvey look like good bounceback candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Good start to coverage on ESPN.

On Opening night (Sunday) they've got 2 x 1 hour baseball Tonights on back to back then the Cardinals v Cubs live.

Then the following day they have a Baseball Tonight at 4:00 before showing Toronto v Yankees and Mets v Nationals. BT Sport 1 then takes over and shows Indians v Astros and Giants v Diamondbacks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Despite the low media opinion, excited for the Reds this year.

I've got my opening day tickets.

Despite the low media opinion, excited for the Reds this year.

I've got my opening day tickets.

That's the thing about baseball, no matter how bad your team was the previous year there's always optimism in March. I fall for it every year with the Mets (and have done so again this year) only to have it beaten out of me by the middle of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

That's the thing about baseball, no matter how bad your team was the previous year there's always optimism in March. I fall for it every year with the Mets (and have done so again this year) only to have it beaten out of me by the middle of May.

I'm full of optimism this year too but actually am genuinely confident of them earning a first playoff spot since '93. That's the Jays btw.

Edit: If (a big if!) they stay reasonably healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Got my tickets for opening day at Safeco Field. I think the Mariners could do it this year if they keep building on last year.

Should be a great pitching matchup too. Can't wait for the season to begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭boccy23

Another year, another failure in Dbacks land as far as I can see.

Tomas doesn't look good. Goldi will be pitched around a lot. Trumbo will have a sub 200 average. No offense through the middle infield.

Rotation is very young. Reed could be a disaster.

So all in all for our 18th season, it could be a long one.

boccy23 wrote: »
    Another year, another failure in Dbacks land as far as I can see.

Tomas doesn't look good. Goldi will be pitched around a lot. Trumbo will have a sub 200 average. No offense through the middle infield.

Rotation is very young. Reed could be a disaster.

So all in all for our 18th season, it could be a long one.

Tough division to be in too, especially now with the improved Padres to go along with the usually good Dodgers & Giants.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/116076658/mlbtv-2-day-free-preview-coming-your-way

Free games if anyone wants to watch. I'll be tuning in tomorrow evening at 6 for the day game from Montreal between Cincy and Toronto. Should be a fun atmosphere at it.

Interesting day in MLB world, off the field anyway.

Ervin Santana gets 80 game ban, Josh Hamilton gets nothing and Jarred Cosart gets fined but for betting but not suspended as it wasn't on baseball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Josh Hamilton gets nothing

Hamilton is becoming the Angels A-Rod. They're now left with the huge contract and cannot get out of paying it due to suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Interesting day in MLB world, off the field anyway.

Ervin Santana gets 80 game ban, Josh Hamilton gets nothing and Jarred Cosart gets fined but for betting but not suspended as it wasn't on baseball.

Did Hamilton test positive for anything or did he put his hands up before that came a reality?

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Hamilton is becoming the Angels A-Rod. They're now left with the huge contract and cannot get out of paying it due to suspension.

Strange hearing their executives coming out and criticising the decision not to suspend him though. We all know they would have loved a big ban to save them a few quid but I never expected them to come out and publicly say they are so disappointed with him getting nothing.

I'm sure the Yankees privately were jumping for joy when A-Rod got banned. Even though they probably publicly they supported the decision I don't remember them actively campaigning for him to be be banned.

Did Hamilton test positive for anything or did he put his hands up before that came a reality?

I can't remember for sure but I think he owned up before getting tested so technically didn't test positive but I don't know if that's the reason why he got off.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Have caught a few of the Mets spring training games and kept an eye on the news in the off season as best I could. I feel optimistic for the Mets this year. Yeah optimistic. Cue me during the summer ranting like a mad man about them giving up a rake of runs in one inning.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Have caught a few of the Mets spring training games and kept an eye on the news in the off season as best I could. I feel optimistic for the Mets this year. Yeah optimistic. Cue me during the summer ranting like a mad man about them giving up a rake of runs in one inning.

Yeah they've looked good but Spring Training is Spring training and means absolutely nothing once the games start for real. Even though I'm more optimistic about them at least being competitive, I've been let down too many times in the past so I'm not fully on board yet.

I'd be happy with them playing meaningful baseball in September and would settle for an 82-80 season

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Atlanta has traded Kimbrel and Melvin Upton to the Padres for Maybin and Quentin!!

San Diego have certainly got more relevant this offseason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Benimar wrote: »
    Atlanta has traded Kimbrel and Melvin Upton to the Padres for Maybin and Quentin!!

San Diego have certainly got more relevant this offseason.
    Wow, the Braves are really blowing it up. The Padres really do mean business, not that I didn't like the moves they have made already...

Not to long til first pitch although I'm not sure what this random prematch band @ Wrigley is about :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,290 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Kimberly could be sub- 1.00ERA at Petco!

That new jumbo tron in wrigley looks so out of place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Opening Day today!

And we'll be at Safeco Field in Seattle for the Mariners versus the Angels.

Probably the only sell out of the season...

Blue jays have scored five runs in the top of the third against the Yankees. Lead 5-0 on a two run HR,two hits and an error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I see Ubaldo Jiminez has secured the 5th spot in the Orioles rotation

Kevin Gausman to the bullpen

That wasn't expected not long ago. Maybe Jimenez can pull it together and get some consistency. Doubt it though!

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Blue jays have scored five runs in the top of the third against the Yankees. Lead 5-0 on a two run HR,two hits and an error.

A-Rod walks and the crowd act like he's hit a walk off HR in game 7 of the WS.

A-Rod walks and the crowd act like he's hit a walk off HR in game 7 of the WS.

Didn't see it but according to Twitter he got a great hand from the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I see Ubaldo Jiminez has secured the 5th spot in the Orioles rotation

Kevin Gausman to the bullpen

That wasn't expected not long ago. Maybe Jimenez can pull it together and get some consistency. Doubt it though!

I'm with you on your last sentence! Gausman will be in the rotation by mid-May I reckon.

Anyone been watching the games on ESPN? Just wondering what people's opinions are of their pitch tracker thingy. I'm not sure I like it to be honest. Maybe I'll get used to it but at the moment I think it gets in the way.

Anyone been watching the games on ESPN? Just wondering what people's opinions are of their pitch tracker thingy. I'm not sure I like it to be honest. Maybe I'll get used to it but at the moment I think it gets in the way.

Its a pain in the hole and they seem to have gone the fox nfl graphic route. They are crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Personally I like the box, it's not getting in the way. It's not a FoxTrax-type of introduction.

• Advertisement

It's awful in my opinion. It's great for replays but for live action? No thanks. I'd sooner listen to the radio broadcast than watch that. It would seriously put me off watching. I no longer watch NHL games that flash ads on the glass for the same reason.

Advertisement