Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bus Eireann #405 route: changes needed?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

pure.conya wrote: »
    Another issue I've witnessed is a bus pulling up in Knocknacarra after the previous one not arriving and although there were 15+ waiting at the stop the driver lets everybody off the bus, closes the door and drives back into town empty! I actually couldn't believe my eyes anytime I've seen this happen. I mean in what universe does it make sense for this to happen?

I've had the same thing happen at the Ballybane end. Unbelievably frustrating.

It only makes sense due to driver hours, and timetables at that point around 7pm when the frequency is changing from every 20 to 40 minutes: if the driver who is scheduled to drop passengers off but not pick up is close to reaching their hours-limit for the day, they might not be able to legally drive the route in to town again. It's not their fault that the driver on the bus beforehand had something happen, and Bus Eireann's dispatch / control system is weak and sometimes doesn't have spare buses and/or drivers to deal with breakdowns or driver-sickness etc.

A few times, if I was the only one waiting, they've picked me up, run out-of-service in to town, and dropped me at a bus stop somewhere near Eyre Square. It helps that they know my face and likely destination, and that I will be fast on and off with no messing getting tickets out etc. But if there are lots of people waiting, you can guarantee that some will be wanting intermediate stops or to ask questions or whatever else that will take time.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Got this Bus today for the first time and must say it was a lot better than i thought it would. Bus was 10 min late at the dunnes side but got to ballybrit well handy, 40 min r so....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,075 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Seems like the 405 is back to its old tricks again.

At the HPE stop yesterday for the 5.25 bus. Very very cold, 2 buses arrive at 6.10. No reasoning behind it or anything. They then spend 5 minutes trying to arrange people for different stops, and pull off as normal as it nothing is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

FitzShane wrote: »

At the HPE stop yesterday for the 5.25 bus. Very very cold, 2 buses arrive at 6.10. No reasoning behind it or anything. They then spend 5 minutes trying to arrange people for different stops, and pull off as normal as it nothing is wrong.

Traffic is shocking due to the novena, the 620 was saying closer to 650 on the rtpi board at the Eyre Square stop last evening. Rule of thumb is don't use buses the novena evenings, especially the 405 which had to pass the cathedral twice per route. 403 and 409 both way out of kilter in terms of timetable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

FitzShane wrote: »

Traffic yesterday was mental, there were large crowds waiting at all bus stops in Eyre Square but no bus to be seen ,around 5.30pm I passed three 405 busses between the Courthouse and UHG all at a standstill, there was also a 403 and a 412 bus so it was not the fault of any bus company yesterday's hold ups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭what_traffic

When Salmon Weir Bridge is closed to private Motor Traffic it will alleviate a lot of the current delays for the #405.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

When Salmon Weir Bridge is closed to private Motor Traffic it will alleviate a lot of the current delays for the #405.

Implementation timeframe?

Plans for people from Renmore going to the Novena?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Implementation timeframe?

Plans for people from Renmore going to the Novena?
    Quincentenary Bridge

Advertisement