Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

not-all-heroes-wear-capes-47-5afd7e4cc4a0d__700.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Tiger seems to have all the mannerisms of a domestic house cat. So cute.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

They're about 6 weeks old and doing great. Both are out of the nest box and hanging with the rest of the flock. There was a bit of a set back when Tiny was about 4 weeks. I noticed she was missing some feathers and I thought Maisey was pulling at them. Then when they both left the nest box I realised it was the mother who was plucking her feathers. She had gone from preening them to yanking them out. Maisey was big enough to fight back but Tiny couldn't defend herself and I thought the mother was seriously going to injure her. I had to put both babies and their father into a cage for about a week and a half until Tiny got big enough to stop the mother. I don't know why Lexi got so obsessive about it because up until then she had been a great mother.

Tiny is very tame and I'm able to put a harness on her. I've been bringing her out for walks and cycles hand while she isn't too pleased with the harness, she is young enough that she will get used to it. She likes sitting on the cross bar when the bike is moving and is getting loads of attention from people so she will be a super friendly birdy :)

Some more pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    They're about 6 weeks old and doing great. Both are out of the nest box and hanging with the rest of the flock. There was a bit of a set back when Tiny was about 4 weeks. I noticed she was missing some feathers and I thought Maisey was pulling at them. Then when they both left the nest box I realised it was the mother who was plucking her feathers. She had gone from preening them to yanking them out. Maisey was big enough to fight back but Tiny couldn't defend herself and I thought the mother was seriously going to injure her. I had to put both babies and their father into a cage for about a week and a half until Tiny got big enough to stop the mother. I don't know why Lexi got so obsessive about it because up until then she had been a great mother.

Tiny is very tame and I'm able to put a harness on her. I've been bringing her out for walks and cycles hand while she isn't too pleased with the harness, she is young enough that she will get used to it. She likes sitting on the cross bar when the bike is moving and is getting loads of attention from people so she will be a super friendly birdy :)

Not sure if quoting is allowed in the BAW thread but thanks a lot for the updates!

How long does it take to determine the sex of the bird?

I heard it's to do with the pattern on feathers when it comes to cockatiels, the males change after a certain number of weeks but the females remain the same..

Doge wrote: »

Not sure if quoting is allowed in the BAW thread but thanks a lot for the updates!

How long does it take to determine the sex of the bird?

I heard it's to do with the pattern on feathers when it comes to cockatiels, the males change after a certain number of weeks but the females remain the same..
    You are right about the patterns. Underneath the tail feathers, there are strips on all newborns. At about six months they go through their first moult. When the new feathers grow, if they are female, the feathers will remain stripped, if they are male, the feathers will be a block colour.

I ended up with two males called Rosie and Chloe because their previous owners thought they were females and by the time they realised they were male, the birds were too used to their names to change them. The birds didn't have a gender crisis at being called female names :pac: but it was confusing when I'd be talking about them to other people and I'd be saying "Rosie is the leader of the flock. The others follow him and Chloe is his second in command" and they'd be like, "don't you mean her?" :D It was confusing even for me. I have a sister called Chloe so it was hard to associate male pronouns with a female name. When my cockatiels had babies, I made the effort to give them gender neutral names, purely to avoid this confusion in the future.

The two babies I have now are "teenagers" in cockatiel years and if they survive the next few weeks they should be grand. They are exploring the apartment and becoming less dependant on their parents and I think they should survive to adulthood. I was absolutely gutted when Fluffy had a freak accident at the age they are at now. I've changed the environment and hopefully they should thrive :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

478752.jpg

478817.gif

Harvest Mice love the smell of pollen and often fall asleep inside flowers

478473.jpg

478895.jpg

Paddy Cow wrote: »

For some unknown reason, for the last week or two, Tiny is not receptive to me anymore. She flys away from me and won't let me come anywhere near her :(

I guess because I didn't hand feed her she only accepted me because she was young and now that she is fully grown and integrated with the flock she is wild like them.

On the bright side, both of the babies have made it to adulthood and are doing well ;). I have a big flock now and the only one who is still tame is Frosty, the father of the babies. He still comes for head scratches and is very affectionate.

Some of the birds are semi tame in that they will land on my head or try to eat my dinner. They don't seem afraid of me but they don't want to be my friend either. I've read online that to hand rear a bird you need to take it from the parents at 7-10 days old and they will get used to humans feeding them and form a bond. I thought that was cruel to the parents and just handled the baby birds on a daily basis.

So anyways, my update is that the two baby birdies are alive and well and while they aren't my best friends, they aren't adverse to my presence either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

How you doin'?

01-long-lost-panda-relative.adapt.590.1.jpg

479611.gif

480062.gif

• Advertisement

479990.jpg

More BEEEEEEEE! than BAAAAWWWW! :):):)

480586.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

5d2c4fabd013c238f83d12a2b30975ba.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

b8b1cd4c4270573794859bbe3c8801cc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

h95E7022F

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

6701_93a7.jpeg

• Advertisement

tumblr_paqrj3H6ZZ1s04h2ho1_1280.jpg

Advertisement