Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Read this before asking "What to expect from [subject/course]?" ALL COURSE INFO HERE!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Saysha

Hi, I'm doing arts in first year and hoping to do english and psychology(the plan is to get into single honours psychology in second year, but we'll wait and see how that one turns out ;)). Anyway I'm at a loss for what to pick as my third subject, it's between anthropology and sociology. Any suggestions? I've heard a lot of people mentioning fieldwork assignments in anthropology, so I was just wondering what these entail?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭astroguy

maths is very do-able in first year:- I only had ordinary maths, and I did it in second year as well. Just keep on top of it and put some work into the assignments and you should understand what's going on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Saysha wrote: »
    Hi, I'm doing arts in first year and hoping to do english and psychology(the plan is to get into single honours psychology in second year, but we'll wait and see how that one turns out ;)). Anyway I'm at a loss for what to pick as my third subject, it's between anthropology and sociology. Any suggestions? I've heard a lot of people mentioning fieldwork assignments in anthropology, so I was just wondering what these entail?

You wont do that until second/third year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭xochillixo

astroguy wrote: »
    maths is very do-able in first year:- I only had ordinary maths, and I did it in second year as well. Just keep on top of it and put some work into the assignments and you should understand what's going on :D

are u doing the same course as me?? (psychology thru science)
    id so cud u give me sum info id greatly appreciate it!!
    main question is is the science doable even thou i like science but wudnt b passionate about it

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭astroguy

No, not Psychology through science but your course is exactly the same as general science in first year, i.e. maths plus three other subjects. You keep two out of these four subjects in second year and you also do first year psychology. Third and fourth year is pure psychology as far as I know. Yea, the science is do-able I guess but it also depends on your subject choices and your interests. You may find some of the work difficult but some of the material should be useful later in your psychology. Hope this helps!

• Advertisement

astroguy wrote: »
    No, not Psychology through science but your course is exactly the same as general science in first year, i.e. maths plus three other subjects. You keep two out of these four subjects in second year and you also do first year psychology. Third and fourth year is pure psychology as far as I know. Yea, the science is do-able I guess but it also depends on your subject choices and your interests. You may find some of the work difficult but some of the material should be useful later in your psychology. Hope this helps!

thanks very mch! hope i can keep on top of it n still party hard being a first year and all!!! hope the hours arnt terrible either!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Hols

I only hav biology and higher maths and im doing psychology through science. Does anyone know which subjects i hav a better chance with out of chemistry, experimental physics, or mathematical physics? Thanks for the help!

u no how big our class is??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nothing

Hols wrote: »
    I only hav biology and higher maths and im doing psychology through science. Does anyone know which subjects i hav a better chance with out of chemistry, experimental physics, or mathematical physics? Thanks for the help!

Math phys you'd fly through with honours maths. As for the other two, well keep in mind they cover the leaving cert course in first year, so you don't need to have done either before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭lsuzanne1987

Hey, Can anyone give info about the Business & Management Degree? I am going into the 1st year of this course in September :) Thanks a million!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭yummy91

Hols wrote: »
    I'm starting Psych thru sci too! and xochilliox. :D see you down there.

Was also wondering to those that did science, how much of the leaving cert is in the physics, maths and chemistry classes?
    And which would be better to do, exp physics or math physics, did honours physics and maths, but thought that the exps were the easiest bit of physics despite liking the mathsy bits? is it the same kinds of exp's?
    o and, are there many hours, on average?

crap! al those doing psychology thru science seem to b farely mathsy! i only did ordinary (higher for j.c.) i found it grand i just hope i dont struggle with the maths in this course!!

nothing wrote: »
    Math phys you'd fly through with honours maths. As for the other two, well keep in mind they cover the leaving cert course in first year, so you don't need to have done either before.

Thanks feeling way happier bout the whole ting now that i know you can start a subject from scratch!

Hey chilli, i dont think there are too many in our course judging by the amount of other courses in our group for orientation. GO GROUP 18!! Woo

ya! in guessing your name is holly right?? who knows we might bump into each other on that first day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 wauners

Someone please tell me abut learning Basque at NUIM?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TinTin_1760

Hey! I'm just looking at modules for 2nd year and was just wondering anyone done any of the below ones?? Any Info on the following would be brilliant!!! Cheers! :D

Sociology: What is the difference between [font=&quot]SO204 Survey Research Methods and [/font] [font=&quot]SO205 Fieldwork Methods? Also any details or thoughts on [/font] SO207 Rural Sociology, SO214 Northern Irish Society, SO211 Urban Sociology or
    SO220 Popular Music, would be great as I'm considering these one, though I haven't got much info to go on!!!:rolleyes:

[font=&quot]Anthropology:
    Religion, Globalisation, Affliction & Healing, [/font] [font=&quot]Cultural Identities, [/font] [font=&quot]The Social Life of Things and Language, Culture & Power,[/font]
    Oh I found the module descriptions on the NUIM website so I know the basics, it's just if anyone thought any of those where particularly good or otherwise, could ya please say!!! Thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

can anyone offer any insight to the music classes as taken as part of an arts degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Xxhaylsxx

Ok so i guess this is meant to be questions from first years but im a third year and got a question. I have to choose pure maths or applied maths this year. Haven a clue which to do. Anybody have any insight into this or what the pros or cons of doing pure maths is? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

ye hopefully! i heard there's only lyk 20 ppl in our course so we will probably meet atsome stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Toasty113

Bsc in multimedia, what to expect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Is there an option of doing Basic Keyboard and Accompanyment in the BA in Music? (arts) Its what im told. No classical instrument here. Want to learn Piano. any help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bristow

Hi all, I have a bit of a dillema that I was hoping the people in the know might be able to help me a bit with....

I'm going into first year arts in Maynooth and my quasi-aim is to transfer into psychology in second year if I can manage the grades.

I'm confused about what subjects to pick. My original choices have always been English, Psychology and French. English because it was always one of my favorites, French because I think it'd be useful and I like languages but don't know if I'l be able for it (got a c1 in the leavin, albeit with very little work). And Psychology because I think I'd be interested in it and would like have a career in it but not sure hence the option of dropping it in 2nd Year.

Should I forget about English and French and pick something like Sociology and/or Anthropolgy that would complement Psychology and possibly have less of a work load giving me a better chance of gettin the high grade in psycholgy? Or should I go down the keep the options open route and choose French and English? I don't know much about Sociology or Anthropology.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭masherella88

bristow wrote: »
    Hi all, I have a bit of a dillema that I was hoping the people in the know might be able to help me a bit with....

I'm going into first year arts in Maynooth and my quasi-aim is to transfer into psychology in second year if I can manage the grades.

I'm confused about what subjects to pick. My original choices have always been English, Psychology and French. English because it was always one of my favorites, French because I think it'd be useful and I like languages but don't know if I'l be able for it (got a c1 in the leavin, albeit with very little work). And Psychology because I think I'd be interested in it and would like have a career in it but not sure hence the option of dropping it in 2nd Year.

Should I forget about English and French and pick something like Sociology and/or Anthropolgy that would complement Psychology and possibly have less of a work load giving me a better chance of gettin the high grade in psycholgy? Or should I go down the keep the options open route and choose French and English? I don't know much about Sociology or Anthropology.

Thanks!

i think you should do the subjects that you are interested in-if you've always wanted to do french and english, then go for it. Saying that though, anthropology and sociology are new subjects and you might actually really like them! i didn't do english but i'm lead to believe it's quite different from english in school. i did anthropolgy in first year and i enjoyed it. your best bet i think would be to go to all the introductory talks about the subjects that interest you next week and then maybe for the first few weeks go to the lectures for the subjects you are seriously considering, and after maybe two weeks make your decision then. you are the only one that can decide what to do ultimately but you need to test them out before you can properly choose :)

at the end of the day, choose what you find interesting and enjoyable! there's no point doing something you don't like and you'll work hard and do better in a subject you enjoy! :)

hope that helps somewhat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bristow

i think you should do the subjects that you are interested in-if you've always wanted to do french and english, then go for it. Saying that though, anthropology and sociology are new subjects and you might actually really like them! i didn't do english but i'm lead to believe it's quite different from english in school. i did anthropolgy in first year and i enjoyed it. your best bet i think would be to go to all the introductory talks about the subjects that interest you next week and then maybe for the first few weeks go to the lectures for the subjects you are seriously considering, and after maybe two weeks make your decision then. you are the only one that can decide what to do ultimately but you need to test them out before you can properly choose :)

at the end of the day, choose what you find interesting and enjoyable! there's no point doing something you don't like and you'll work hard and do better in a subject you enjoy! :)

hope that helps somewhat :)

cheers! that really helps clarify what way i should be thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 george.

I'm starting Psychology through science. I did pass maths for the lc, so a bit nervous about the maths. I didn't do physics for the lc so I think I'm going to do chem, bio and computer science, but I'm not really sure what computer science involves... Anyone doing computer science? Is it boring, is it hard ??
    thanks !

OMG im in the exact same position!!!
    doing psychology through science...............................check
    did pass maths and nervous about maths on course.......check
    doing biology,chemistry and computer science.............. check
    have not a clue what computer science invloves............ check!!!

we're in this together!

jst saw this there its about computer science.....
    http://csrocks.cs.nuim.ie/index.php/component/content/article/88

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpt Beefheart

Is it mad to consider doing 1st Arts Geography without having leavin cert geography. Abandoned it after jnr cert but thinking of taking it up again. How much technical knowledge do they assume you have.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

They assume you have no previous knowledge. Apparently you're at a certain advantage to not have taken it for the leaving cert because a lot of that course is dumbed down. If you're taking it from scratch then you're going to have quite a bit of research to do yourself. I'd say it's very do-able though. Best of luck, it's a nice course!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpt Beefheart

Thank you!

Advertisement