Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo s40 2.0 l diesel fuel consumption

• 27-02-2012 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hello there

I recently bought a s40 although I am delighted with the car I thought I would get more miles to a tank, does anyone else have this car what kind of consumption are you getting, I don't really do motorway driving so would this effect the usage? Also the trip computer is still saying iv 330 miles to empty tank even though the tank is half full, when the tank was full it said 360 miles till empty tank so it's only gone down 30 miles even though iv done 100!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I haven't really read your post. I was skimming over it looking for a mpg figure or a l/100km.

Work out what mpg you are getting then maybe ask?

It just sounds like you are saying I only got two weeks driving out of a 40 euro. Is that good? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,096 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What kind of driving do you do? Is it short trips around town, etc? A diesel needs to be running for around 20 - 25 mins before it gets warmed up.

Trip computers can be iffy, you need to take note of the miles between fills and the cost per litre to get an accurate mpg reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭php-fox

I have s40 1.6 diesel, and I get about 50 mpg (4.5 l/100km).
    I do about 90% motorway driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

adenaden wrote: »
    Hello there

I recently bought a s40 although I am delighted with the car I thought I would get more miles to a tank, does anyone else have this car what kind of consumption are you getting, I don't really do motorway driving so would this effect the usage? Also the trip computer is still saying iv 330 miles to empty tank even though the tank is half full, when the tank was full it said 360 miles till empty tank so it's only gone down 30 miles even though iv done 100!!

It depends how you drive it, where you drive it and what speed.

I do 120kms of motorway mileage everyday in a 2006 V50, and the trip computer tells me I do 7.2l/100km average (a/c on) or 6.7l/100km (a/c off)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

While 330 miles to go with half a tank sounds good, the computer saying 360 when it was full orginally doesnt, or was it definately full?

You should brim it, take note of the millage or reset one of the trips, use half a tank then fill it again, you'll be able to get a proper measurement then.

Reset as much as possible on the computer like average comsumption etc before pulling off from the first fill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 adenaden

Ye it's mostly nipping around really I don't use the car for work so don't be making really long trips in it anything from 5 mns to a half hour mostly, I don't drive the car hard or to fast changing gears around the 2 1/2 thousand mark and I havnt had the ac on yet, I filled the tank to the brim the day I bought the car it's now at the halfway mark as I said and iv only done 108 miles, so by that rational il only get 216 miles to a full tank.

Does this sound normal? Is this just all that you get? Is there anyone with the same car who does the same type of driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

It would help if you told us the year of the car. It would also help if you drove the car for at-least a full tank (if not 3 or 4) to get an idea of your fuel consumption. Fuel gauges are sorely inaccurate, it could sit at half for 60 miles, drop by a quarter over the space of 60 miles and sit at another point for 60 miles.
    AFAIK the older s40 (<2004) have a tip computer (new ones definitely do), what mpg does that say. I had a 2003 s40 and i would regularly get 45mpg with mixed driving, 40mpg with mostly short runs. I think it was around 400 miles to a tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Sobanek wrote: »
    It depends how you drive it, where you drive it and what speed.

I do 120kms of motorway mileage everyday in a 2006 V50, and the trip computer tells me I do 7.2l/100km average (a/c on) or 6.7l/100km (a/c off)

I have a 2005 V50,
    I do 256 a day, I get 5.8l/100km.

That sounds very high, I'll only get it up to 7.2l/100km if I drive it at 160km/h.

Roughly I get between 800 and 900 km between fills.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭xual

I drive a 1.6vvti 05 avensis. I drive extremely light and I always beat the calculation on the fuel clock. I can get an average of 51.7MPG on the motorway. You can drive a car much lighter and coast to short stops. You can adjust how you steer before a bend and do a lot to save on fuel.

The computer cannot predict how you will drive so the estimate is conservative. I'm looking for a car myself to do a Carlow - Sandyford ( Dublin ) commute. I'm looking at an s40 or v40. Any advice

Senna wrote: »
    It would help if you told us the year of the car. It would also help if you drove the car for at-least a full tank (if not 3 or 4) to get an idea of your fuel consumption. Fuel gauges are sorely inaccurate, it could sit at half for 60 miles, drop by a quarter over the space of 60 miles and sit at another point for 60 miles.
    AFAIK the older s40 (<2004) have a tip computer (new ones definitely do), what mpg does that say. I had a 2003 s40 and i would regularly get 45mpg with mixed driving, 40mpg with mostly short runs. I think it was around 400 miles to a tank.

It's a 08, ok il drive untill it's empty and see how much I get out of it
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gonzo1

I have a '06 S40 2.0D, mostly motorway miles for my Commute. I get on average 700 - 750 kms from a tank, and that's brimming it until the fuel light comes on. This is when I fill it back up, but they can do another 100km even after the light comes on, but not recommended for modern diesel engines!

I drive fairly conservatively but i think these figs are about right,
    Trip Computer usually says >1000 kms after filling which is impossible for everyday driving...fuel tank is relatively small on the Volvo S40/V50 at 52L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I haven't really read your post. I was skimming over it looking for a mpg figure or a l/100km.

It just sounds like you are saying I only got two weeks driving out of a 40 euro. Is that good? :mad:
    +1

He may as well have said that he gets thirty rods to the hogs head for all the use that miles(or€)/tank is as a measurement.

Max Power1 wrote: »

+1

He may as well have said that he gets thirty rods to the hogs head for all the use that miles(or€)/tank is as a measurement.

Well if you read the post instead of skimming it you would see I was only asking is it normal to only get 100 miles to a half tank.

But of course your always going to get snotty unhelpful people on these forums arnt you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

xual wrote: »
    I drive a 1.6vvti 05 avensis. I drive extremely light and I always beat the calculation on the fuel clock. I can get an average of 51.7MPG on the motorway. You can drive a car much lighter and coast to short stops. You can adjust how you steer before a bend and do a lot to save on fuel.

The computer cannot predict how you will drive so the estimate is conservative. I'm looking for a car myself to do a Carlow - Sandyford ( Dublin ) commute. I'm looking at an s40 or v40. Any advice

What speed are you doing when you're getting over 50mpg in a 1.6? Avensis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Well if you read the post instead of skimming it you would see I was only asking is it normal to only get 100 miles to a half tank.

But of course your always going to get snotty unhelpful people on these forums arnt you!!!
    LOL

What size is a tank?
    How long is a piece of string?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭xual

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What speed are you doing when you're getting over 50mpg in a 1.6? Avensis?

100kph on the flat
    no less 80kph uphill
    and whatever the throttle will give down hill.
    • Inflate tyres optimally, no excess weight, regular servicing ( DYI )
    • Stay wide the opposite side to an up coming turn and turn steady and early so you are in position before the bend is over.
    • Maintain distance between yourself and other cars to avoid stop start.
    • And try not to lash on and off the accelerator.

Saves on tyre wear if you corner steady too. . . Pure boring dull driving that saves money... Which is later spent on electric guitars and booze!!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭downburst

I have a 2.0 136 PS S40 diesel. I do 900 km a week mainly motorway. I get 51.5 mpg or about 5.5 l per 100km. Now the pain in the neck is I have to fill up twice a week due to the small 52 litre tank. I reckon I could limp home to the garage on a Friday with 3 to 4 lires left but don't chance it. Although I think I read that the pump and filter system mean that the engine isn't in trouble if fuel runs out in terms of priming it. Anyway the engine requires careful use of the gears, 5th is better than 6th on a long incline etc. despite the torque being there in 6th. Great engine but small fuel tank.

Hi all,
    After letting the tank empty after the fuel light has come on and needle has gone all the way down to the last red line, I filled the car back up to the brim, I have done this twice now since I got the car and of the 2 fills the average amount of miles I got from the 2 fills is 351 miles/563km.

As I said before in previous post I have a 08 2.0l diesel. I generally do short trips the longest being Maybee a half hour these are not city runs ie stopping and starting but on open secondary roads.

Does this sound about right? I was expecting much more after reading other posts on the cars fuel consuntion?

Has anyone the same car who does the same driving confirm if it's similar?

The reason I would like to know is my cousin has a 04 s40 1.8 petrol(new shape) and was having problem with fuel consuntion and it was down to a problem in the cars E . C. U ( expensive fix)!!

As always any help is much appreciated!

downburst wrote: »
    I have a 2.0 136 PS S40 diesel. I do 900 km a week mainly motorway. I get 51.5 mpg or about 5.5 l per 100km. Now the pain in the neck is I have to fill up twice a week due to the small 52 litre tank. I reckon I could limp home to the garage on a Friday with 3 to 4 lires left but don't chance it. Although I think I read that the pump and filter system mean that the engine isn't in trouble if fuel runs out in terms of priming it. Anyway the engine requires careful use of the gears, 5th is better than 6th on a long incline etc. despite the torque being there in 6th. Great engine but small fuel tank.

Ok so your saying you get around 500 km per fill?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Is there an onboard fuel computer OP? That should give you an idea, although it's not 100% accurate.

Failing that do the follwing:-

1/. Fill the fuel tank. Reset your odometer.
    2/. Drive normally.
    3/. When the time comes refill it. Record the following...
    a/. Mileage covered between fills.
    b/. Litres of fuel purchased to refill.

From there it's easy to work out your mpg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

No, he is saying 800+km per fill. 10 gallaons is 45.4 litres x 51 mpg = 510 miles or 816 KM.
    I'm saying a fill of 45.4 litres because that is all I can ever get in my 1.6D S40 which does 800 to 900 KM between fills.

Fiskar wrote: »

No, he is saying 800+km per fill. 10 gallaons is 45.4 litres x 51 mpg = 510 miles or 816 KM.
    I'm saying a fill of 45.4 litres because that is all I can ever get in my 1.6D S40 which does 800 to 900 KM between fills.

So would you agree what I get is quite low considering what you are all getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

How many litres did you put in to fill it?

Without knowing the size of the tank its impossible to tell if the consumption is good or bad.

Edit:

Assuming a tank size of 45L it would seem you are getting approx 35MPG.

That wouldn't be great for a diesel but it sounds like the engine isn't warming up
    too much when you are driving so not overly terrible for a 2L.

Is there an onboard fuel computer OP? That should give you an idea, although it's not 100% accurate.

Failing that do the follwing:-

1/. Fill the fuel tank. Reset your odometer.
    2/. Drive normally.
    3/. When the time comes refill it. Record the following...
    a/. Mileage covered between fills.
    b/. Litres of fuel purchased to refill.

From there it's easy to work out your mpg.

I already know that, im getting 563 km per full tank which is 52 litres so I'm getting 9.2362 litres per 100km or around 30.5 mpg. The question is wether that seems low and from what people are saying it does seem alot lower?

PaulKK wrote: »
    How many litres did you put in to fill it?

Without knowing the size of the tank its impossible to tell if the consumption is good or bad.

Edit:

Assuming a tank size of 45L it would seem you are getting approx 35MPG.

That wouldn't be great for a diesel but it sounds like the engine isn't warming up
    too much when you are driving so not overly terrible for a 2L.

im getting 563 km per full tank, full tank isis 52 litres so I'm getting 9.2362 litres per 100km or around 30.5 mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

There is either something very wrong with your car or something wrong with your driving, i'd guess its the cars at fault if your doing mostly rural driving.
    Bring it to a volvo garage, even driving around a city you would get above 30mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

im getting 563 km per full tank, full tank isis 52 litres so I'm getting 9.2362 litres per 100km or around 30.5 mpg.

That's brutal, is the car getting up to temperature? Is it an auto?
    Maybe the thermostat is stuck or something and its running cold.

You could run a decent sized petrol for that kind of economy.

Advertisement