Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance with a Learner Permit

• 02-09-2009 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Just wondering how people are getting on with their quotes?

I'm 29 and just got my Learner Permit in Dublin recently.
    Between haphazard websites and wildly differing prices, the whole insurance thing is a minefield, and very frustrating IMO.

Here are some quotes I got, which may hopefully help others in considering who to check out for quotes:

FBD - 1300 euro (TPFT) or 1200 (TP)
    ^ That's a "quick quote". When I tried to get a full quote.... the website form didn't work.

Hibernian quoted me 1235 euro (TPFT)

Bestquote.ie is a real pain to use if your particular car isn't in their list. Mine wasn't on their list, so in order to proceed, I had to choose the nearest quivilent car to my own.
    The best of their quotes was 1355 euro (TPFT)

Quinns website was also a pain because my car isn't in their list and I had to choose the nearest equivilent >
    Anyway, in the end, the quote was 2 grand. (TPFT)

AXA quoted me... OVER TWO GRAND! (TPFT)

......25plus.ie quoted me.... THREE GRAND! (TPFT)
    The form on the AA website wasn't working for me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Jack O Diamonds

womoma wrote: »
    Just wondering how people are getting on with their quotes?

I'm 29 and just got my Learner Permit in Dublin recently.
    Between haphazard websites and wildly differing prices, the whole insurance thing is a minefield, and very frustrating IMO.

Here are some quotes I got, which may hopefully help others in considering who to check out for quotes:

FBD - 1300 euro (TPFT) or 1200 (TP)
    ^ That's a "quick quote". When I tried to get a full quote.... the website form didn't work.

Hibernian quoted me 1235 euro (TPFT)

Bestquote.ie is a real pain to use if your particular car isn't in their list. Mine wasn't on their list, so in order to proceed, I had to choose the nearest quivilent car to my own.
    The best of their quotes was 1355 euro (TPFT)

Quinns website was also a pain because my car isn't in their list and I had to choose the nearest equivilent >
    Anyway, in the end, the quote was 2 grand. (TPFT)

AXA quoted me... OVER TWO GRAND! (TPFT)

......25plus.ie quoted me.... THREE GRAND! (TPFT)
    The form on the AA website wasn't working for me.
    Hi... Jack here!...newcomer to the site! I`m just starting out as well,and the best quote I`ve got so far was 890 euro from AXA, for my imaginary peugeot 106 (`cos I haven`t bought it yet!!),I`m 38. Of the others,they all seem to be around the 1200/1300 euro mark. I`m starting to think about stickin` with the bicycle!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

FWIW I went with Hibernian Aviva in the end. Competitive price and lovely reps on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I have a 3 years no claims bonus, I'm on a learner permit and am 30, currently insured with chill.ie but my renewal quote is dearer then last year at €610, got a quote from insure.ie for €340.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Monkey_Pirate

Learner permit, female, 20 years old, 00 fiat punto and I was given third party fire & theft for 1000 from Quinn, everywhere else was around 2 grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

Google Britton Insurance and give them a call. They can be very competitive for new drivers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

My insurance is 2300 with AXA, which is the cheapest I got. Its high because I'm 17 and male. Although some places quoted me over 5 grand. The average price from most places was 3500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

Best quote i got was with AXA, and i agree the online quote tools are a waste of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Jack O Diamonds

Does it work out cheaper to get an old car that isn`t worth much or would insurance be cheaper for a newer model? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question. What exactly do they take into account as far as the car itself is concerned?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I know car age is taken into account, but I'm not sure how much it affects you're quote. They take into account engine size, if it's an import, if it's left or right hand drive, manual or auto and some other things which I can't remember

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I know car age is taken into account, but I'm not sure how much it affects you're quote. They take into account engine size, if it's an import, if it's left or right hand drive, manual or auto and some other things which I can't remember

They've got stats on "high risk" cars, which may not be fast or particularly sporty, but they have a boy racer following. Such cars would have a loading placed on them for this reason. Cars that come to mind are the old style colt, glanzas etc.

Plus the word Honda or Civic alone is a no-no

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

23/f provisional license held for ~6 months no previous driving experience. 03 Toyota Yaris (1.0 L)

I ended up going with AA, they were 1049.69 including a year's AA membership. Fully Comp.

Quinn Direct Quoted me 3 grand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

23f 1 years as a named driver, 900 fully comp on a 00' 1.3 punto

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

I 20m was with bestquote.ie(axa) last year starting out on a learner permit.
    They were the cheapest then at €2300 full comp on a 00 agila

This year I have changed to 123.ie and saved €1300 and now have my insurance with them, Axa were asking for €2000 for renewal this year, it did not matter that I had a full licence, so every one should shop everywhere for the cheapest quote as its only dead money if you never claim.

Im a 21 year old male with a learner permit. Driving a 1.3 Daewoo Lanos and insured with Axa for 2,000:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

26/f on third learner permit, named driver for 3years on another car, 00 fiesta zetec 1.25 , third party came to 989 with Quinn. Hibernian were 1400.
    Also was 200euro cheaper to say I was a student (which I am but if I was qualified in my profession at this stage it would have been 1160!)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭bobsoice23

Ye don't know how easy yev got it...I'd kill for 1200.19 male with learner permit for 6 months.Any company I've called don't do named driver anymore so the best qoute up to now is 2600 and Im currently trying to save up for the 555 euro deposit.Im smack bang in the worst bracket I know but it's still ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement