Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solution for accessing rte player via TV

• 01-03-2013 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

I know the new Samsung Smart TVs support playing rte player but My Samsung TV is only 3 years old and I will not be replacing.

I have a WD TV Live, which works great for Netflix and some other services but not rte player. I don't have any game stations.

I am looking for a good valued solution to be able to access rte player on my tv. I can connect up a laptop but of course the resolution is brutal. I am aware of is boxee.tv and that's not cheap (150 euro or so I think).

Any other solutions to consider?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

boardtc wrote: »
    I know the new Samsung Smart TVs support playing rte player but My Samsung TV is only 3 years old and I will not be replacing.

I have a WD TV Live, which works great for Netflix and some other services but not rte player. I don't have any game stations.

I am looking for a good valued solution to be able to access rte player on my tv. I can connect up a laptop but of course the resolution is brutal. I am aware of is boxee.tv and that's not cheap (150 euro or so I think).

Any other solutions to consider?

I currently have a raspberry pi with RASPBMC installed on it. Using Mossy's irishtv plugin. Works grand for me. Not quite as fast as the laptop and rte player but gives me rte and tv3 player with ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭boardtc

@arodabomb, what a great solution, thanks for the post! It would be a good reason to have a play with one. Not too fiddly to setup hopefully. Can you recommend a reasonable online store to buy a rasberry pi?

boardtc wrote: »
    @arodabomb, what a great solution, thanks for the post! It would be a good reason to have a play with one. Not too fiddly to setup hopefully. Can you recommend a reasonable online store to buy a rasberry pi?

Simple enough setup, I've a few, one running raspbmc as a media centre, and one running squeezeplug as a headless audio media player (spotify/internet radio). Openelec and Xbian have a similar xbmc implementation to raspbmc, I just went with raspbmc. You install the OS's to an SD card, so grab one of those too. Pay attention to the install process on raspbmc (they let you install to a usb key to speed up the OS, but it will format the stick, some people have deleted all their videos by not following to installer directions, other than that its simple enough)

I've order from CPC and Newit, Newit shipped within 3 days I think, CPC were about a week but slightly cheaper (a euro or so).

CPC appear to be out of stock of the RPi but are in stock if you buy with a case
    http://cpc.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/cased-raspbrry-pcba-512mb/cased-raspberry-pi-model-b-512mb/dp/SC12831

http://newit.co.uk/shop/categories.php?cat=31

Amazon and ebay have a few but the above are recommended by raspberrypi.org. RS ship pi's too but there are people complaining about them in the raspberryi pi thread, saying delivery times are quite long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Hi arodabomb,

In the market for my second pi and just found your post. Do you know if the SD cards in the bundles on newit are any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tonyfillony

• Advertisement

T-K-O wrote: »
    Hi arodabomb,

In the market for my second pi and just found your post. Do you know if the SD cards in the bundles on newit are any good?

No idea, I imagine they have tested a few with the raspberry pi, the pi can be a little temperamental with some SD cards (http://www.elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards has a list of verified cards and ones that dont work). But I imagine newit don't want the hassle of non-functioning cards, so they probably tested them. I tend to switch out the cards a lot so it was cheaper to just grab a few of them from memoryC (I got 4x4gb Transcend cards for about 22 euro).

That seems a little expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tonyfillony

T-K-O wrote: »
    That seems a little expensive.
    Which is the main reason i havent gone for it yet , I havent search too much for a better kit but im sure i can find one

Which is the main reason i havent gone for it yet , I havent search too much for a better kit but im sure i can find one

The sites posted by arodabomb are pretty good. I got my first pi from Fernall. It;s pretty to install software onto the SD card, no need to pay a premium for that.

Have you a project in mind?

Advertisement