Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Man Pays €60 Motor Tax Fine With 6,000 1c Coins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Mr. Nice

He's not a bully but he paid it passive aggressively, with the aim of making it extremely inconvenient for the innocent person behind the counter to process it. So he is a wanker.

If he masturbated in the tax office he would be a wanker, unless I have the definition of the word wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    It is legal tender I see no issue. Maybe if government bodies paid their own bills on time there wouldn't be some companies going out of business.
    Like?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This is almost my fantasy, however to round it off he should have pissed on the coins first.
    Bastards :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭olcod

Ah sure its theirs, obviously :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

Maybe if government bodies paid their own bills on time there wouldn't be some companies going out of business.

Rabble rabble. Give some examples.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Mr. Nice wrote: »
    If he masturbated in the tax office he would be a wanker, unless I have the definition of the word wrong.

Well, let's see what our good friend the Oxford English Dictionary has to say on the subject:
    wanker
    Pronunciation: /ˈwaŋkə/

Definition of wanker

noun

British vulgar slang

"a contemptible person (used as a generalized term of abuse)."

Huh. Fancy that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

Madam_X wrote: »
    God love YOU for thinking that maliciously handing over 6,000 1 cent coins to a clerk who did nothing to him, is just "paying a fine". But of course you don't, you're just being.
    God with that attitude I bet you were beating friends off ya with a big stick. Bullying because he paid for something with legal tender? If he was being really passive aggressive I'd imagine he'd have mixed the odd 5 cent coin in among it, to keep things interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

This is almost my fantasy, however to round it off he should have pissed on the coins first.
    Bastards :mad:
    Who are the bastards? The people behind the desk? Nope, it ain't going into their bank account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Touche (fnarr, fnarr) my pedantic friend. One must, however, also logically assume that one who indulges in the "art" of **** is a wanker,

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/****

From where else could the title derive it's meaning?

• Advertisement

Who are the bastards? The people behind the desk? Nope, it ain't going into their bank account.
    Surely it's their job to count the money paid in fines. So, are you saying someone paying in legal tender are malicious? And that's it's "bullying" a public service worker to expect them to do their job? Ie, counting money

Zey vere only followink orders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

xLexie wrote: »
    Surely it's their job to count the money paid in fines. So, are you saying someone paying in legal tender are malicious? And that's it's "bullying" a public service worker to expect them to do their job? Ie, counting money
    We can't be having the poor people working in the public sector over worked counting money now can we. Poor souls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

If I was standing behind the counter I would have said...

'Absolutely no problem Sir but you'll have to stay there while I count it'

by **** I would have made him stand there for two hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

You seem to be getting yourself in all sorts of arguments these days whereas previously I had found you to be quite diplomatic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

We can't be having the poor people working in the public sector over worked counting money now can we. Poor souls.
    Or private sector. As you know, it's obviously obnoxious to want to cause all that pointless counting... which is just going to hold up other people queuing.

If I was standing behind the counter I would have said...

'Absolutely no problem Sir but you'll have to stay there while I count it'

by **** I would have made him stand there for two hours.
    Personally if I had paid 6000 one cent coins I'd only love to stay and watch their faces, a random cough here, an outburst of numbers Tourette's there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

If it was me I would make him count out every one of them in front of me, then I would count every one of them myself, then I wouldn't accept it as payment as it's not legal tender.

Whoever took in the coins can probably take early retirement on a full pension because of the psychological trauma and repetitive stress injury.

Maybe this deserves a tribunal?

"The Government has approved formal arrangements to reduce the payment period by central Government Departments to their business suppliers from 30 to 15 days."

1) 30 days is standard on all invoices. 15 days is decent of them, TBH.
    2) You still haven't backed up your statement. Nowhere does that article specify that a company went out of business because of the government paying their invoices after 30 days.
    3) Article is from 2009.

Try again.

• Advertisement

Where To wrote: »
    If it was me I would make him count out every one of them in front of me, then I would count every one of them myself, then I wouldn't accept it as payment as it's not legal tender.
    Yes it is legal tender. They just don't have to accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Personally if I had paid 6000 one cent coins I'd only love to stay and watch their faces, a random cough here, an outburst of numbers Tourette's there..

You'd quickly get pissed off I'm sure if it was me because I'd do it with a skip in my step and a chirpy smile.

I'd kill you with kindness.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

That's just being malicious now, the person working there had nothing to do with the fine being issued in the first place

You sound like a complete knob.

If I got fined €60 for not displaying a tax disc - which would be 100% my own fault - I'd just pay the fine - because I'm not a bellend. It's called taking responsibility for my actions. It's how society works - nobody screwed this guy over - he wasn't "getting revenge" as he put it; nobody did anything to him that wasn't legally warranted. He's just a petty little d*ck - plain & simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Not all people working in these positions are employees of the public service (not that it makes a difference) some are on internships or schemes. Still they are being paid to provide a public service to all and sundry, but I reckon Mr. Big Slong went in with the money counted in the appropriate bank bags and if he did not, sure well it is just as easy to weigh the coins and bag them and ruin his not so cunning plan.

As you know, it's obviously obnoxious to want to cause all that pointless counting... which is just going to hold up other people queuing.

Because we all know that speedy, efficient service is priority number one in the public service.

Yes it is legal tender. They just don't have to accept it.
    6000 1c coins isn't legal tender any more than 6000 mallard ducks is.

So a 1c coin is not legal tender? How do you come to that conclusion?

But if it wasn't, did they accept it and if they didnt accept it, what's the problem?

• Advertisement

So a 1c coin is not legal tender? How do you come to that conclusion?
    One 1c coin is legal tender, 6000 1c coins isn't.

Advertisement