Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Petrol prices on the UP AGAIN

Comments

What exactly happened in Poland?
    What are your actual aims from this protest? Have you made any communication to the Government etc etc etc ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

RoverJames wrote: »
    What exactly happened in Poland?
    What are your actual aims from this protest? Have you made any communication to the Government etc etc etc ?

Hundreds if not thousands of people blocked the main motorways in Poland. They also took their time on the petrol stations, fueling for about €1.20 each, then spending as much time as possible in the shop - this resulted in the petrol stations having large queues.

I've no idea how did this affect the overall price, but when I've been there, I've seen a 4c decrease over a week.

I wrote about this to the Minister of Transport and a couple of other bodies including the RSA and AA. I wonder what their response will be (if any).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I paid 1.60 a litre for diesel today. Sickened.

Sobanek wrote: »
    It worked in Poland. Why wouldn't it work here?
    Oh, true. People don't mind paying €3 for fuel.

I've no idea how did this affect the overall price, but when I've been there, I've seen a 4c decrease over a week...................

So you don't know if it worked in Poland so ?

So you don't know if it worked in Poland so ?

I don't how it worked in the whole country, but in the masovian voivodeship, including Warsaw, the overall trend for the prices was decrease by 3-5 cent a litre. This is quite a lot and it does make a large difference. (even over €10 per month for a single household).

• Advertisement

And you reckon the decrease was as a direct result of the protest and nothing to do with fluctuating petrol prices which are know to fluctuate quite often? I'm being serious by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I don't how it worked in the whole country, but in the masovian voivodeship, including Warsaw, the overall trend for the prices was decrease by 3-5 cent a litre. This is quite a lot and it does make a large difference. (even over €10 per month for a single household).

Do you mind me asking how long you own your own car, how long you are driving and if you are in full time employment/education?

And you reckon the decrease was as a direct result of the protest and nothing to do with fluctuating petrol prices which are know to fluctuate quite often? I'm being serious by the way.

Yes, since the overall trend since October 2011 was an increase, even regardless of the currency change. The difference between the prices here and there is now smaller than ever.

@TestTransmission: Is this in any way relevant? I don't own a car personally, however I've been driving the same car as a Named Driver since April 2011.

.............The difference between the prices here and there is now smaller than ever.

Soooooooooooooo that's because of a protest ?

What price is a litre of unleaded now and what price was it in April 2009 over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭questionquick

In Norway they pay about €1.95 a litre check the AA website for European petrol prices ..I doubt a protest willbe happening
    What happened to the million people who were supposed to protest about getting Ireland a reply in the world cup qualifier against France? ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

@TestTransmission: Is this in any way relevant? I don't own a car personally, however I've been driving the same car as a Named Driver since April 2011.

I think it does tbh.

I'm guessing you're in full time education then aswell,ya?

Soooooooooooooo that's because of a protest ?

What price is a litre of unleaded now and what price was it in April 2009 over there?

January 2012
    Ireland: 1.55 EUR per litre average
    Poland: 5.72 PLN per litre which is 1.37 EUR

18 cent difference

February 2012
    Ireland: 1.59 EUR per litre average
    Poland: 5.69 PLN per litre which is still 1.37 EUR

22 cent difference - 4 cent increase after the protest

April 2009
    Ireland: 1.099 (1,10) EUR
    Poland: 4.12 PLN which in these days was 0.89 EUR

20/20.9 cent difference

It was relatively stable, kept at around 20-21c difference, never went below 20c though until December 2011.

................. The difference between the prices here and there is now smaller than ever.

January 2012

18 cent difference

February 2012

22 cent difference - 4 cent increase after the protest

April 2009

20/20.9 cent difference

:confused:

22c now is bigger than the 18c in January and the 21c in April 2009.

30144048204359827958.png

Quick Excel spreadsheet to show you what I'm talking about

Smaller difference in Dec 2011 than in Feb 2012.

Smaller difference in Dec 2011 than in Feb 2012.

2% VAT increase in Ireland account for that and more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

when was the last time petrol went down by more than 1-2c in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Feels like it has been steadily rising since I first started driving in feb 09. I don't think we will ever see a significant drop again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

tumblr_lalaxi5By41qcbw3fo1_500.jpg

It was €1.519 in May '11, €1.459 in June '11

€1.499 in Sep '11, €1.449 in Nov '11

They're actual prices I've purchased fuel at.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

I passed a Topaz filling station in Letterkenny yesterday evening and it was 163.9 for a litre of unleaded :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

HJL wrote: »
    I passed a Topaz filling station in Letterkenny yesterday evening and it was 163.9 for a litre of unleaded :eek:
    1.589 in Sunny South East. Not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

It was €1.519 in May '11, €1.459 in June '11

€1.499 in Sep '11, €1.449 in Nov '11

They're actual prices I've purchased fuel at.
    €1.169 on 19th Jan 2010
    €1.119 on 30th Jan 2010

That was Diesel fuel actually, but I believe petrol went down proportionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Seweryn wrote: »
    1.589 in Sunny South East. Not bad.

I think its 159.9 in most places for petrol, i drive a diesel so dont pay too much attention to the unleaded prices, but that 163.9 really stuck out!
    I dont normally drive past that station so can't say if its normal for it to be higher that the other in the region.

Seweryn wrote: »
    €1.169 on 19th Jan 2010
    €1.119 on 30th Jan 2010

That was Diesel fuel actually, but I believe petrol went down proportionally.

no doubt :)
    Didn't look that far back in my records.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Every time i pass the petrol station on the Dublin rd arklow there price display is higher 161.9 latest hike wont be long till its 170 so yes deffo heading for the 2euro mark by summer id say,But gubberment ministers wont have to worry about will they sure they can claim for the bog roll were they had there last ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

piston wrote: »
    Do you melt in the rain?

People who want to ride in the dark have been fitting lights to their bikes since the days of the penny farthing. Lights are are wonderful invention which allow me to see where I'm going and allow others to see me.

Besides, in my experience, the people who say it's too dangerous to cycle on the roads are very often the type of drivers that make it dangerous to cycle on the road in the first place.

I dont melt in the rain. Do you? sensationalise much??? I do get cold + wet...
    I don't enjoy arriving at work having cycled in the rain along a dangerous, potholed, narrow, cow sh1t splattered winding rural road populated by ignorant drivers and articulated lorries. And thats if its bright...

In another part of the country, with a safer route to work I'd gladly cycle. But thats not what this thread is about...

Anyway back OT(ish), any bets on when we'll see €2? I'm saying september.
    Is it going up everywhere in Europe at the same rate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Got petrol today at 156.9 outside Ashbourne :)

Saw on the old airport road, petrol for 169.9 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

161.9 at Topaz on the M8 at Cashel when I was on the way home from Langerland yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Only been driving like 5 years petrol price has almost doubled in that time :(

Tax on my 1.4 has gone up a fair bit too 35%+

Im a young person and i buy a sensible car, drive sensibly and im getting robbed left right and centre ><

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I know this thread is a few weeks old but I just thought I'd update on a price I saw today which shocked me.....unleaded at €1.669 :eek::eek:. Just outside Letterkenny, Newmills.
    I for one am very thankful that the weather is getting milder so we can walk more and leave the car at home!

Advertisement