Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Anglers Rest - A plaice :-) for fishy tales - it was HOW big !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

i wish the rain would hurry up.................i am driven demented with all this dry weather.............:pac:

I just checked my weather station that Santa brought me at Christmas....we got nearly 20mm of rain last night. I'm off out for a salmon/ seatrout this morning. Hopefully there was enough rain to make an impact on the height of the river.

EDIT - got 15 to 20 brownies and three seatrout. Also rose a grilse but never connected. Great fishing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Howth??

Howth's a bloody disgrace..balscadden is no better..hoards of scumbags and FN using the place as an open-air drinking venue and leaving all thier cans and bottles behind them...added to that the roaring and shouting that goes on its anything but a relaxing place to fish.

I brought my youngest brother out yesterday to teach him a bit of casting and try and get his first trout on the fly.

An hour into the lesson he connected with his first fly caught trout of about a pound. Happy days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

SeaFields wrote: »
    I brought my youngest brother out yesterday to teach him a bit of casting and try and get his first trout on the fly.

An hour into the lesson he connected with his first fly caught trout of about a pound. Happy days :)
    I wish you were my brother! :D
    I went fly fishing in Lough Rowan today, guess what feckin' happens to me! Me F**CKING rod snaps. Yes I'll post a pic tomorrow but I had to duct tape it together. God I hate fly fishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jake99

any body no of any good fishing spots in dublin or out far not 2 far and were i can camp as well .thanks looking for some budy,s 2 talk 2 on this site jake99:confused::rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭decdon

I went fly fishing in Lough Rowan today, guess what feckin' happens to me! Me F**CKING rod snaps. Yes I'll post a pic tomorrow but I had to duct tape it together. God I hate fly fishing.
    Sorry to hear your missfortune,..... I broke 2 flyrods early in the season..:( !! not too disapointed tho, coz they were oul cheap ones. Gave me a good excuse to up grade.... not one bit sorry, my quality and persistance in casting has improved so much.
    Stick with it as it's worth it in the end when it all comes togeather....:)

Ok look, how long does it take to get to the level of able to catch fish often, as in a fish every time you go or every two times. It's been a month since I decided to learn to fly fish and I haven't even rose a fish. All I've done with my rod is break it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It can depend on a number of things really. The most important would be how you are learning, and where and when you are fishing.

I taught myself last year, it took maybe a month of regular fishing to catch my first, then they started coming more and more regular, and after maybe 3 months I could go out expecting to at least catch something. In saying that I put in a lot of research, I read a lot on the forum here and on flyforums.co.uk for general knowledge and technique, and sexyloops.com to improve casting. I'd done a bit of fishing before trying fly fishing so I had a little bit of general fishy knowledge to start with too.

Of course it often comes down to the fish themselves, sometimes they're just not there and other times they've no interest in being caught. There's never any way to guarantee going out that you will catch something.

I know it's frustrating starting out, especially because you're not even sure if you're doing the right things or not (getting 1 or 2 proper lessons could help with that). But definitely keep at it, the feeling of catching your first fish on the fly is unforgettable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

david you HAVE to take it one step at a time fly fishing is a broad diverse sport and it cant be mastered in a month! some lessons will help your casting technique, after that its down to experience knowing what to do and when to do it....where do you fish? better for someone starting off to try some of the stocked commercial fisheries....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

On wild waters - I guess the average angler has an average result of zero, or maybe 1 fish every 2-3 sessions.
    David, about 25 years ago we were running pike competitions from Dublin, and we went through the results for several years. It is not an old wives tale, it is true, 90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the anglers, and that was in a club situation where there were no absolute beginners, or if they were they were not beginners for long.
    I measure how I did on a session by adding the results of everybody else together and seeing did I beat that. That could be size or numbers but rarely both. Tough targets are what makes us better.
    So results can vary a lot between anglers.
    IF you want to progress fast, and it comes across that you do, then you have to "live fishing". Read a lot - everything in the library.
    The problem is everything is matter of degree, how hot or clear or low the water, how big or small the size of fly, how fast to strike and so on. And making the little adjustments can do your head in.

But believe me on this, confidence is more important than you believe possible.
    I will start a thread to demonstrate just how much confidence matters. (Peter Ross fly pattern thread) Watch the replies as they come in and conflict with each other in everything except confidence. Then try to accept that the wrong fly fished with confidence and care will almost always outfish the right fly fished with no confidence by the same angler, or angler of the same ability. The biggest variable is us, 2nd biggest the water, third the season, 4th the time, the trout comes next, and your tackle matters after that!

Study the water, ideas will dawn on you incrementally while you fish and watch, and see the trout's food items come and go.

And hitch your wagon to a friendly experienced angler who is happy to walk the banks with you and chat between fish, or over a pint.

• Advertisement

coolwings wrote: »

But believe me on this, confidence is more important than you believe possible.

have to agree… if I do not have full confidence in all aspects then success is far less likely....you must have confidence in all aspects involved including the fly you are using, techniques deployed, the equipment you are using, your ability, the location you are fishing etc etc, you must be confidant in everything you are doing.....confidence is gained from success, that is only achieved with experience and knowledge… both take learning and learning takes time.

Okay, yesterday when I went to the lake I was hugely confident. I was convinced I woukd catch something and hadn't thought for a second I wouldn't. Yet all the happen is my ****ing rod breaks! I can't help but get the feeling that I'm not cut out for fly fishing. I think I'll stick to spinning.

I think I'll stick to spinning.

fair enough so.........whatever makes you happy

fair enough so.........whatever makes you happy
    You make me feel so bad for giving up now! :D

I wouldn't be without both.
    It is in our nature to get tunnel vision, and follow a specialty, but as a hunter we need to override these natural weaknesses and be variable according to conditions and our prey.
    Being a large fish hunter at heart I kinow I fly fish too much for my own good, (and too little for those purists who only fly fish!). I am ready to spin for large piscivorous trout, perch, and pike, and know fly is a less effective way to angle for those particular predators.
    But the fly rod approach is an extremely enjoyable way to angle and catch fish. The fly gear calls out to me when selecting gear for a trip, as it were.

What was the rod that broke? Would there be a sales backup or warranty? Most tackle shops, even where there is no warranty, "look after you" on a necessary replacement by giving a favourable price on one if that happens.

I found the rod at home, which is the reason why I decided to try fly fishing.

The die hards will have a heart attack at what I am about to say, but ...
    a fly rod casts an aerialised weight (the line) and a spinning rod casts a compact weight which is nearer the rod (hanging on 3' of line).
    Here is the point, the rod blanks are interchangeable! Only the rings and handle are different in styling. So, provided you have a spinning rod that is designed to cast the same weight as what the aerialised fly line weighs - that spinning rod can cast a fly line perfectly well too!

What does a fly line weigh?
    According to the AFTM scale:
    AFTM # grams ounces
    5 - 9.07 - 0.32
    6 - 10.42 - 0.366
    7 - 11.99 - 0.422
    8 - 13.61 - 0.48
    9 - 15.55 - 0.55
    10 - 18.14 - 0.64
    Now the AFTM weighs only the first 30 feet or 10 yards of line, so if you cast 75 feet or 25 yards the you have 2.5 times the length of heavy flyline, and 2.5 times the weight above to cast.

So lets assume a 25 yard cast. Let's work out what is the true casting weight of the fly line, if it is to be compared with a spinner or lead weight?
    Concentrating on the common sizes :
    AFTM # grams ounces
    5 - 23g - 0.8
    6 - 26g - 0.9
    7 - 30g - 1.0
    8 - 34g - 1.2
    9 - 39g - 1.4
    10 - 45g - 1.6
    So if a spinning rod is rated for those weights, it will cast both a lead weight and a flyline of the same weight. the rod does not know the difference. The long handle takes some getting used to, but salmon anglers use double handed fly rods all the time.

Maybe you already have what you need ....

That's interesting, but I just duct-taped it back together and its quite stable. Would it hold a fish though...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Only one way to find out :)

That's interesting about using a spinning rod, never occurred to me, but it makes sense thinking about it. I'd imagine the characteristics wouldn't be perfectly ideal, but it's very rare a fish will examine your rod in detail before letting you catch it.

stevenmu wrote: »
    .... but it's very rare a fish will examine your rod in detail before letting you catch it.
    :)

• Advertisement

That's interesting, but I just duct-taped it back together and its quite stable. Would it hold a fish though...

Did you break it just above the handle?

No a bit above halfway. Congrats on mod...

No a bit above halfway. Congrats on mod...

Thanks David.

Generally, the nearer to the top, the less load there is on it. (Thats why it's thinner there) So you want to re-join the two halves, without making a rigid unbending place, because the rod would break at the edge of the unbent section later. Picture an archer's bow bent to send the arrow. Now picture the same bow with a 6" piece of copper pipe slid on before bending it, and what will happen when the load it applied by pulling on the string.
    So the usual way is to glue a thin piece of fishing rod inside, to reinforce, with half inside each side of the break. It's a flexible join. Every tackle shop has assorted tips broken and set aside to insert into repairs.

Yeah, that's exactly what I did, I fitted them into each other then taped them.

for the first time today i got a chance to fish from a beach kayak, something ive been meaning to get around to all summer. I previously tried fly fishing from it but retreated to shore in a few minutes with my tail between my legs - disaster! but prob just a matter of practice.

Today tho I used the butt section of my spinning rod and geared up with some mackerel feathers. Paddled out a couple of hundred yards and started jigging. Got a fair few mackerel in no time. There was something exciting about it.

Would recommend it to anyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jake99

jake99 here is there any good places to go fishing with my son before he goes back to school in dublin or just out side , looking for names of places and if u can camp as well as fish going mad to get out ,. thanks jake 99

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

Whats the stability like in one of those yokes?
    was thinking of getting one or one of those basstender boats.
    SeaFields wrote: »
    for the first time today i got a chance to fish from a beach kayak, something ive been meaning to get around to all summer. I previously tried fly fishing from it but retreated to shore in a few minutes with my tail between my legs - disaster! but prob just a matter of practice.

Today tho I used the butt section of my spinning rod and geared up with some mackerel feathers. Paddled out a couple of hundred yards and started jigging. Got a fair few mackerel in no time. There was something exciting about it.

Would recommend it to anyone :)

TimMac wrote: »

Seems grand but i have no frame of reference. It was bought for a bit of messing about at the beach but i just decided to try dropping a set of feathers over the side once out deep. Did it again today and got 2 dozen mackerel. Its funny when you have three on at a time they tow the kayak along!

I would venture out too far in it in anything other than a slight ripple tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

Ya anything bigger took those feathers it could be a submarine

• Advertisement

TimMac wrote: »

Have a look at this review from Irish angler magazine, i dont have one but i think they look ok for calm water, i would not be mad about using them on big windy lakes or slightly choppy seas.

http://www.irishangler.ie/Reviews/page_13/article_13/

Advertisement