Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

legspin wrote: »
    Sorry.

I've had my coffee now. :cool:

That was Adrian's intention but Henry's eventual invasion had feck all to do with Rome so you were both right and wrong at the same time. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    .....so you were both right and wrong at the same time. :D

I'm usually just wrong so that's an improvement at least.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

From the No Shit, Sherlock! folder comes a new study which shows that areas which have had outbreaks of whooping cough are closely correlated with areas where greater numbers of parents have sought legal exemptions to vaccination:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=vaccination-opt-outs-found-to-contribute-to-whooping-cough-outbreaks-in-kids&WT.mc_id=SA_WR_20131009

robindch wrote: »
    From the No Shit, Sherlock! folder comes a new study which shows that areas which have had outbreaks of whooping cough are closely correlated with areas where greater numbers of parents have sought legal exemptions to vaccination:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=vaccination-opt-outs-found-to-contribute-to-whooping-cough-outbreaks-in-kids&WT.mc_id=SA_WR_20131009

Excellent programmes on BBC4 last night on disease, pandemics and search to find cures/ vaccines, First was Pain, Pus & Poison-The search for Modern Medicines and the second was Pandemic - A Horizon Guide.

Cholera....:eek::eek::eek:
    Malaria....:eek::eek::eek:

Shouldn't watch these things at 1 a.m. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

legspin wrote: »
    Isn't there something about the early Irish church being influenced as much by the eastern school as the west.
    As B said Rome had more than a few issues with the Irish church, but yea they did have more Greek influence than expected. Even later in the game John Scottus(the bald lad who used to be on the old fiver(mad and clever bastid who sailed very close to heresy, always a good sign)) engaged with Rome the Pope's greek scholars were dumbfounded this "barbarian" was better versed in Greek(among other things) than they were. I seem to recall the annals mentioning "learned Arabic friends". Plus the discovery of the remains of a psalter in a bog with papyrus lining. They also had some knowledge of Hebrew, so there were definite connections with the east at play.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    As B said Rome had more than a few issues with the Irish church, but yea they did have more Greek influence than expected. Even later in the game John Scottus(the bald lad who used to be on the old fiver(mad and clever bastid who sailed very close to heresy, always a good sign)) engaged with Rome the Pope's greek scholars were dumbfounded this "barbarian" was better versed in Greek(among other things) than they were. I seem to recall the annals mentioning "learned Arabic friends". Plus the discovery of the remains of a psalter in a bog with papyrus lining. They also had some knowledge of Hebrew, so there were definite connections with the east at play.

Scottus is responsible for the only 'joke' recorded in a Medieval manuscript.

Some versions say the 'joke' was between the king of France and Jonny Scot* but I have been assured by a colleague who actually read William of Malmesbury's MS that it was between Jonny and Holy Roman Emperor Charles the Bald.

Quid distat inter sottum et Scottum? Said Bald Chaz.
    Mensa tantum Retorted Jonny Scot.**

* Ireland = Scotia hence Irish = Scot. 'Scotland' got that name after its west coast was colonised by the Dál Riata from Ulster.

** 'What lies between a sot and a Scot?'
    ' Only a table.'

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.thejournal.ie/vatican-bling-bishop-suspended-1143067-Oct2013/
    Vatican suspends Germany’s ‘bling bishop’ over ostentatious lifestyle
    The bishop flew to Rome last week with low-cost airline Ryanair to explain himself to Pope Francis after the cost of his extravagant new residence complex blew out to at least €31 million

So they'll suspend him because he spent their money. But its ok to keep people that were part of sexual abuse cover ups (I'm looking at you Sean Brady).

Shows where the priority's are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Structure of the Gaelic church followed the Coptic monastic model more than the Roman diocesan one.

That was one of the many issues Rome had with the church in Ireland but I haven't had my coffee yet so I'll spare you all the details.

* that bit made me twitch.

That would be an interesting read some time, if you're ever in the mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

Great video

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Quid distat inter sottum et Scottum? Said Bald Chaz.
    Mensa tantum Retorted Jonny Scot."
    :D Yea it was Charlie the Bald alright. He was the guy who patronised the school John ran. He invited him in the first place IIRC? Charlie likely had a sense of humour anyway, given his name was in wide circulation even among his own.

It's not the only wit he came up with that comes down to us. When asked to write his own epitaph on the death of some anti Irish bishop he wrote(from memory here so forgiveness is begged)

"Here lays Billy the thief, but all his greed aside, he did one good thing, he died". :D

Johnny boy's writings are well worth a read(much of it is online). It's dense stuff, but his philosophy is interesting, very interesting for the time and for a christian to be coming out with(he (very)basically starts arguing for a pantheistic god). Hence the church supportive enough at the start actually started to read his stuff later on and a couple of centuries later built up so much ire they promptly declared it heretical and ordered all copies to be burned.

My favourite line from John is "Every authority that is not supported by true reason is weak, whereas true reason needs no support from any authority". This went down like a fart in a lift among the hierarchy at the time or later for that matter, even more so as it was aimed at the leaders of the church.

There were other Irish lads in that neck of the woods at the time too. Ducial Scottus and Sedelius(sp) Scottus were others(geographer and philospher/state advisor respectively).

It's a fascinating time for me, with fascinating men and women who while obviously driven by religious zeal were often quite different to what came later(and before). Much more "human" to my mind. EG St Brigid* has some interesting stories around her that you never got in catholic school when you were making her cross from rushes. There was some talk of her and her bishop having fun between the sheets. Also talk of her sharing her bed with another nun. Saucy. One even more interesting is the story of one of her young nuns who leaves the convent to see more of the world, gets up the duff after some frolics and Brigid "miraculously restored her to her previous condition". Brigid the patron saint of abortion. No wonder you didn't hear that stuff in school. :D

*plus like Mary took on the mantle from the pantheon of Roman goddesses, it seems Brigid took on the mantle of the older local Celtic gods, so the stories often have this vibe to them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Wibbs wrote: »
    ... so there were definite connections with the east at play.
    Back in the day, ocean travel was usually easier and quicker than land travel. So North Africa was closer than either Rome or Greece.
    Hence there are lots of ancient settlements on what seem today "inaccessible" islands and coastlines in the south and west of Ireland.
    I remember a TV program a few years ago where they put forward the hypothesis that sean nós singing was influenced by rhythms in the Islamic call to prayer.

recedite wrote: »
    Back in the day, ocean travel was usually easier and quicker than land travel. So North Africa was closer than either Rome or Greece.
    Hence there are lots of ancient settlements on what seem today "inaccessible" islands and coastlines in the south and west of Ireland.
    I remember a TV program a few years ago where they put forward the hypothesis that sean nós singing was influenced by rhythms in the Islamic call to prayer.

When Baltimore was sacked by a raiding party out of Algiers the inhabitants were sure it was the O'Driscolls as the style of dress was so similar. Gaelic Irish men wore long 'shirts' dyed with saffron, the women usually wore linen dresses of a similar design and often wore turbans also dyed with saffron and both tended toward bare feet.

It amazes me that this hasn't really been explored.*

I mean where did this saffron came from - they must have had access to large amounts - or how they could afford such an expensive commodity- and then to use it to dye their clothes????

Smells like wealth to me.

Student of mine is writing her PhD on Irish textiles of the Early Modern period and did some experiments with other friends of mine who are archaeologists/re-enactors on dying hand woven raw linen to see how much saffron would be needed. Sh*t loads being the answer. :D

*I suspect that this idea of the Irish being poor is being projected back and assumptions are being made which are not supported by the evidence. We already know that has happened with gender roles, family structure and level of involvement of religion in society creating a false picture of Gaelic Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

When Baltimore was sacked by a raiding party out of Algiers the inhabitants were sure it was the O'Driscolls as the style of dress was so similar. Gaelic Irish men wore long 'shirts' dyed with saffron, the women usually wore linen dresses of a similar design and often wore turbans also dyed with saffron and both tended toward bare feet.

It amazes me that this hasn't really been explored.*

I mean where did this saffron came from - they must have had access to large amounts - or how they could afford such an expensive commodity- and then to use it to dye their clothes????

Smells like wealth to me.

Student of mine is writing her PhD on Irish textiles of the Early Modern period and did some experiments with other friends of mine who are archaeologists/re-enactors on dying hand woven raw linen to see how much saffron would be needed. Sh*t loads being the answer. :D

*I suspect that this idea of the Irish being poor is being projected back and assumptions are being made which are not supported by the evidence. We already know that has happened with gender roles, family structure and level of involvement of religion in society creating a false picture of Gaelic Ireland.

More and more I'm starting to feel that everything I learned during History in school was so distorted as to be just one huge pack of lies ... it's an interesting feeling. Thanks :)

swampgas wrote: »
    More and more I'm starting to feel that everything I learned during History in school was so distorted as to be just one huge pack of lies ... it's an interesting feeling. Thanks :)

Well, the evidence suggests that a certain religion used it's control over our education system to greatly exaggerate it's importance in Gaelic Ireland, underplay it's role in the loss of Irish independence and lie outright about it's part in the fight to regain independence. ;)

+1000

Even at the time period of the "saints and scholars", it's pretty clear they had cash and lots of it floating about. Look at the religious stuff that has survived from that time. The books, the gold and silver, the large complexes in stone etc. Something like the Book of Kells would have cost a small fortune at the time. The inks alone cost big bucks and some came from as far away as Afghanistan. The pages, just the pages would require a standing herd of cattle which was a big measure of wealth(considering how much of the Tain concerns itself with cattle as status). The monastic sites we see today are a small shadow of a footprint in the landscape. The settlement around Clonmacnoise was a large town. This idea of dirt poor monks in bee loud glades is a romantic one rather than the reality. Even such ascetics there were would require support. Many of the monks came from rich, noble families too and continued much of the noble traditions even as monks. Abbots would pass on the role to sons, monasteries would even go to "war" at times.

Now one could argue, "yea well the church always had wealth but the people could be dirt poor" and that's true of course, but the Irish church was largely cut off from the Roman one and the same Roman one would hardly subsidise what was in many ways (to them) a wayward version of Christianity(plus the Roman church wasn't exactly swimming in moola at the time). Bede notes of the Irish church that they would clothe feed and teach foreign visitors for free, something he considered a WTF kinda thing. That kinda largesse requires cash.

That's not even accounting for the fancy stuff that was "civilian" from that time, Tara broach etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Interesting how many of the searches relate to religion or religious views

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/10/24/what-the-internet-thinks-of-women/

women.jpg

They are not made up either....thats worrying :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Not that worrying, replace women with men and the results are fairly similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Not that worrying, replace women with men and the results are fairly similar.

Sexist!

Cabaal wrote: »
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/10/24/what-the-internet-thinks-of-women/

They are not made up either....thats worrying :(

The article is entitled "What The Internet Thinks Of Women". I think it would be fairer to call the article "What google auto-suggests in some countries when you type in 'Women cannot/need to/should/shouldn't' into the search box".

While lack of equality of opportunity, education, rights etc between men and women is undeniably a major problem in most countries, I don't believe that typing selected words into google proves it. Nor do I find it very honest of the ad-promoter to sell it as proof, unless somebody can convincingly demonstrate that worldwide opinions are reliably reflected by the text suggestions provided by google.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Look at me being all controversial!
    XrcyXJS.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Look at me being all controversial!
    XrcyXJS.png

What did it auto suggestion before you typed the great?

And what does it auto suggest for "men should" and so on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

kiffer wrote: »
    What did it auto suggestion before you typed the great?

And what does it auto suggest for "men should" and so on?

Not much difference at all really - have typed in various words. Apparently men shouldn't wear shorts, sandals, white socks and tank tops, but we knew that already :D Women shouldn't wear bras, panties and makeup. Also says they shouldn't vote, work or go to college...but I think as robin says, it's more a auto-correct indication of what people discuss rather than an indication of the slant that discussion has taken.

Obliq wrote: »
    it's more a auto-correct indication of what people discuss rather than an indication of the slant that discussion has taken.
    As above, it's not clear to me one way or the other.

I also suspect -- but again don't know (since Google's auto-suggest algorithm isn't to my knowledge, public) -- that the amount of public discussion kicked off by this very successful campaign has probably increased the rate at which these sexist comments are being provided by google.

For the ad campaign for to be honest, the people behind the ad should show how google's autosuggest reliably reflects public opinion. Otherwise, well, it's an ad campaign as one-sided as any other. Which is a pity, since women's inequality is a serious concern worldwide and doesn't deserve to be treated in this offhand manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Google auto suggest on my phone...

Men should...
    Men should be enslaved.
    Men shoulder bag.
    Men should weep.
    Men shoulder tattoos.

HIV baby infected in womb is in long-term remission, doctors confirm

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/oct/24/hiv-baby-infected-womb-long-term-remission

God, as usual, made no comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

robindch wrote: »
    HIV baby infected in womb is in long-term remission, doctors confirm

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/oct/24/hiv-baby-infected-womb-long-term-remission

God, as usual, made no comment.

He's sitting there with a big smug head on him/her/it, knowing that he's going to get the credit for doing nothing (yet again).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Liamario wrote: »
    He's sitting there with a big smug head on him/her/it, knowing that he's going to get the credit for doing nothing (yet again).

That's Om, not god.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This is fun :) I avoid Google like the plague and don't have any everlasting cookies already set to skew / searchbubble the results. Used google.ie domain.

277503.png

277504.png

Life ain't always empty.

ninja900 wrote: »
    [...] don't have any everlasting cookies already set to skew / searchbubble the results [...]
    You're already searchbubbled by the physical location of your IP address, as well as any address you might have set up with any google account you're logged in with:

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/179386

They may also searchbubble based upon the precise IP address within the more general locale, but I can't find any comment from google that confirms or denies that:

http://www.aspkin.com/google-search-results-based-on-ip-address/

• Advertisement

Sexist!
    In terms of gender equality, the World Economic Forum says that Ireland is doing well and has maintained its place as the sixth most gender-equal country in the world, coming in after Iceland, Finland, Norway, Sweden and the Philippines (which, frankly, I wouldn't have expected):

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/world/ireland-maintains-6th-position-on-global-gender-gap-list-1.1573159

The full report is here:

http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_GenderGap_Report_2013.pdf

Advertisement