Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien 2 Triple Tuner Combobox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭championc

I finally managed to install Enigma using the Spark Plug-In. I have installed the HDMU image which has a stupid Christmas Skin. I also could not get the Satellite channels to scan. Last night I found the SatStation image http://www.satstation.co.uk/forum/f268-amiko-alien-2-enigma-2/discussion-thread-satstation-e2-alien2-beta-firmware-21-12-2012-a-15421/.

Is there any other image that you guys would recommend ?

Sofar ME3000 Battery Storage Inverter for sale in Ballinteer, Sth. Dublin - see Adverts.ie - https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/solar-sofar-me3000-battery-storage-inverter/32914042 or PM me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

championc wrote: »
    I finally managed to install Enigma using the Spark Plug-In. I have installed the HDMU image which has a stupid Christmas Skin. I also could not get the Satellite channels to scan. Last night I found the SatStation image http://www.satstation.co.uk/forum/f268-amiko-alien-2-enigma-2/discussion-thread-satstation-e2-alien2-beta-firmware-21-12-2012-a-15421/.

Is there any other image that you guys would recommend ?

HDMU doesn't work out of the box, you need to upload a sattelite.Xml for it to work with 28e. There are plenty of skins available for download if you go to plugins and select download.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 afkg61

Shezsharks wrote: »
    ahve to FTP into the box and copy down the db locally:
    How do I do this part?

How did you get on with crossepg config on spark ??

afkg61 wrote: »
    How did you get on with crossepg config on spark ??

Nobody has got it wrking on Spark

@championc Here is a complete pack of decent picons, I downloaded a nice pack online and used a software to make the few that are missing and added terrestrial ones. Extract the picon folder to /usr/local/share/enigma2
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/56355/picon.rar

Get the autobouquets working and you will have picons for 99% of channels

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    HDMU doesn't work out of the box, you need to upload a sattelite.Xml for it to work with 28e. There are plenty of skins available for download if you go to plugins and select download.

Right, I'm making more progress. I've go the xml file from http://www.satellites-xml.org. However, in the menu, I can see Plugins but scrolling left and right, the menu jumps over the plugins square as though it not enabled.

Any suggestions ?

Sofar ME3000 Battery Storage Inverter for sale in Ballinteer, Sth. Dublin - see Adverts.ie - https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/solar-sofar-me3000-battery-storage-inverter/32914042 or PM me

• Advertisement

Right, I'm making more progress. I've go the xml file from http://www.satellites-xml.org. However, in the menu, I can see Plugins but scrolling left and right, the menu jumps over the plugins square as though it not enabled.

Any suggestions ?

You have to ftp the satellites xml file to the /etc/enigma/ directory on the box and reboot. Then you'll be able to scan 28e

When on the plugins menu, press green to download and it will open a GUI where you can install skins, emu's, bootlogos, plugins etc.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I added the satellites.xml file and the sat channels have been sucessfully scanned in.

My problem is that, with the HDMU menu, I cannot select the Plugins Menu at all. When I press menu, I then push the left arrow which sits on the Standby / Restart, left again for Setup, but left again jumps over Plugins and on to Information.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I added the satellites.xml file and the sat channels have been sucessfully scanned in.

My problem is that, with the HDMU menu, I cannot select the Plugins Menu at all. When I press menu, I then push the left arrow which sits on the Standby / Restart, left again for Setup, but left again jumps over Plugins and on to Information.

I'd flash E2 again, this will wipe what you've done

I did a software update to ver 22/12 but still no joy.

I did a software update to ver 22/12 but still no joy.

Boot back to spark and flash e2 again, then after initial setup do a factory reset. I have done this already and my box is running a lot smoother. In fact is now working perfect on e2.

• Advertisement

Right, things finally looking good. Plenty of time over Christmas to have a really good play with this box. I hope it now finally lives up to the expectations I had for it.

Just one thing. I was hoping that I could just record onto the USB HDD as it has been used by Spark. Is it a case that I can only use the USB HDD once I reformat it to EXT4 ? I'm not sure what's recorded by Spark but I had hoped to be able to use it on E2 and on the PC too going forward.

C

Right, things finally looking good. Plenty of time over Christmas to have a really good play with this box. I hope it now finally lives up to the expectations I had for it.

Just one thing. I was hoping that I could just record onto the USB HDD as it has been used by Spark. Is it a case that I can only use the USB HDD once I reformat it to EXT4 ? I'm not sure what's recorded by Spark but I had hoped to be able to use it on E2 and on the PC too going forward.

C

Stick with E2, when you get it set up right it's well worth the hassle, it becomes an amazing box. Be sure take a backup as soon as you've got it right. I wasn't happy with my first E2 install, but when I reinstalled I got prompted on initial set up to restore from backup. I can record 2x HD satellite sources (sat) and watch or stream a third. I can also watch a stream of a channel on the laptop with the web gui. I can use apps on my phone to browse the EPG and set timers. Here is a few screenies of the PLI HD skin with picons, autobouquets and cool tv guide plugin.

2012-12-21201132_zps1622e786.jpg

2012-12-21201139_zps43209bc4.jpg

2012-12-21201148_zps4c46bd2f.jpg

2012-12-21201211_zps7d202054.jpg

2012-12-21214707_zpsbdf90bc4.jpg

2012-12-21214722_zpsb918ad65.jpg

2012-12-21220913_zps4e90f077.jpg

2012-12-21220946_zps7e4a138f.jpg

Fantastic. I'll crack on. Can my USB HDD stay on FAT32 (I think that's what Spark is using) or must I initialize it into Ext4 for E2 to record onto it ?

To stream, do I need to install the VLC plugin ? I think I remember an option somewhere to turn on streaming too - yes ?

And can I mix and match between Terrestrial and Satellite ?

Fantastic. I'll crack on. Can my USB HDD stay on FAT32 (I think that's what Spark is using) or must I initialize it into Ext4 for E2 to record onto it ?

To stream, do I need to install the VLC plugin ? I think I remember an option somewhere to turn on streaming too - yes ?

Use E2 to mount and format it to ext3, the commands are a few pages back. To steam you download a file and open it with vlc, don't open it in the browser. Yes, you can use all 3 tuners together, although you do notice a slow down when recording two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Looks like this receiver is reaching its potential on the E2 side ?
    At almost half the price of the Vu+ Duo its a steal.
    The only thing its missing is the option of an internal hard drive .

Oh man, why did I waste so much time on that stupid Spark software. E2 looks like it knocks spots off it.

Out of the box (so to speak)
    Sat 7 day EPG
    FF and Rew working without freezing
    Recording by programme name
    Recording from both Terrestrial and Sat
    Resume playback from last point watched
    Series Link (sort of - using an Auto Timer plugin)
    Streaming to both PC's, laptops, phones

I think with DynDNS, you could have a setup where you could access your box remotely and even Program the Timer !!!

So finally the Alien 2 is looking like it can do all we hoped and felt it was capable of.

Series link? You sure? You have the option when setting timers to repeat recording, daily, weekly or weekdays. I don't think we have series link though. Take for instance Corrie, its shown on different days and more than once on some days, series link knows this and records them all

Series link? You sure? You have the option when setting timers to repeat recording, daily, weekly or weekdays. I don't think we have series link though. Take for instance Corrie, its shown on different days and more than once on some days, series link knows this and records them all

I was getting my hopes up too much. I was reading other postings which of course "implied" that Auto Timer was a decent substitute for Series Link. I'll amend my original posting to reflect this.

I'm sure it would nearly be worth the likes of Satworld and others to start selling this box with it's default boot setup and running on an Enigma image. When you see the Enigma images now, it makes the Spark one look very poor and basic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭Zardoz

When you see the Enigma images now, it makes the Spark one look very poor and basic
    Whats currently the best E2 image ?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Cork981

HDMU

• Advertisement

If anyone is having any bugs in HDMU E2, re-flash it and do a factory reset. I was having some issues, but they're gone now, it's now working 100% perfect.

Oh boy, this is some box when running the E2 HDMU image. I have installed the Samba Server plugin and can now use it as a sort of NAS. And then, turning on DNLA allows me to get to my recordings (and anything else on the box) straight from a button on my TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 afkg61

The enigma image sounds and looks very good. Spark is slowly coming along with it's last 1.2.60 release including crossepg and recording by name, but seems a long way off from what enigma is now offering. (and that freezing fast forward really is annoying!)
    Is anybody interested in doing a one pager based on your experiences to help some of the rest of us up and running on it ?

afkg61 wrote: »
    The enigma image sounds and looks very good. Spark is slowly coming along with it's last 1.2.60 release including crossepg and recording by name, but seems a long way off from what enigma is now offering. (and that freezing fast forward really is annoying!)
    Is anybody interested in doing a one pager based on your experiences to help some of the rest of us up and running on it ?

I have a second box to flash, I'll get to it in a few days and take notes to prepare a guide.

@Shezsharks, I'd delete that post as we can't talk about that here, check your pm's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Sounds like you do not have the "Autotimers" plugin installed. It does not come as standard on pli images. Check for Autotimers in your plugin feeds.

givecredit wrote: »
    Sounds like you do not have the "Autotimers" plugin installed. It does not come as standard on pli images. Check for Autotimers in your plugin feeds.

I do, autotimers doesn't pass the missis test though. It isn't configurable from the EPG and isn't one click like real series link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

I do, autotimers doesn't pass the missis test though. It isn't configurable from the EPG and isn't one click like real series link

Its not setup correctly then. In your images you posted earlier I see that cooltv guide is installed. You should be able to configure in cooltv guide, (press menu while in guide) Configure blue button to autotimer while in epg. Then setting an autotimer is a 2 button press job. This should pass any missis test..

Fab. Thanks Givecredit. Looks like you can just set a "window" of time to watch for a programme being scheduled every day / week.

I understand CoolTVGuide settings a bit better now. So I have set OK to be Zap + Exit. I set the Red Button now to Cool Info Guide.

Has anyone figured out how to delete programmes which you have recorded ? My Dad has a box too which I upgraded to E2 last night. I can't quite be giving him instructions for Telneting into the box and deleting files this way. I know he could do it from his PC with the Samba plugin installed on the E2 but it would be easier to delete from the on-screen menus somewhere within the HDMU Media Center.

And I've now downloaded the DreamDroid app for my phone, setup port forwarding on my router and so I can now setup the Timer to record a programme when I'm not at home and it will be ready and waiting for me later. Is there anything that this box will not do ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Dublin Deluge

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anybody has successfully used a USB hub in order to expand the USB port at the back of the Alien2. Basically, I'd like to share the back USB port with the wifi dongle and the hard drive (and perhaps a wireless keyboard dongle in the near future) as I don't like to have USB cables connected to the front port.

I have tried using 2 USB hubs but neither has worked satisfactorily:

USB Hub 1 is really, really old and I got it for free in a job fair or some similar event. It was a freebie that a company was giving away, so I don't think it's of the best quality. When I connect the hard disk through this hub, I'm able to play recorded videos but not smoothly (there's a bit of a "jitter" in the playback). I did a USB Speed Test (via Spark) and it says that it is too slow. Didn't even try to record using this hub. The hub doesn't say whether it's USB 1.1 or 2.0. I suspect it might be 1.1.

USB Hub 2 is also old (about 6-7 years old) but it does say it is USB 2.0 "certified". You can optionally connect it to a 6V power supply/adaptor, but I don't have that power supply. When I connect the hard drive through this hub, the Alien2 doesn't even recognise the drive. I.e. I cannot see any files and I don't think the Alien2 even attempts to mount it. Maybe it's due to the lack of the external power supply? Note: there are a few lights on the hub, and when the Alien2 and the hard drive are connected to the hub, the lights come on. Also, the light on the hard drive is also on, but as I said before, the Spark software doesn't detect the hard drive.

By the way, if I connect the hard drive directly to the back port, the hard drive plays back and records smoothly and the USB Speed Test says I can record two HD channels at the same time (haven't actually tried it) or "one HD record and one HD Timeshift". So, it is fast. The actual hard drive is USB 3.0 but I think the Alien2 USB port is 2.0. Also, the hard drive comes with its own external power supply, which is connected to the mains.

I was wondering, if I buy a USB hub with external power supply, such as this one:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/251117408375?var=550160272371&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_3462wt_908

will I be able to expand the back USB port and use the hard drive without a penalty (or a very small penalty) in speed?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement