Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First Frog Spawn

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Silver Breeze

Thanks to Google for finding this thread...

We live in Terenure, near the KCR where the River Poddle passes by. We have had frogs in our walled rear garden for many years, they have just re-appeared after rain two days ago and curious:

--how the hell did they get into the garden (50m x 18m) completely walled, for past 10 years at least. Their presence is not a problem, I'm sure they serve a purpose, curious how they got here.

--ten years ago I would catch frogs in the garden and then carry them 250m to the Poddle and free them. But then decided they probably get washed down into the Liffey...not good...so now just let them be.

--we seem to have a resident population of at least five individuals. Two are larger, 100-125mm, reddish brown, (recognised from last year) three are smaller (50-75mm long) silvery grey.

--there is no moist or wet areas in the garden for spawning.

--I presume they hibernate under leaves beneath the shrubs?

--any reference info?

I reckon they bring welcome karma to our garden. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Hi,
    Am by no means an expert, but am thrilled that we now seem to have 5 frogs residing in our garden. We also have loads of frogspawn in our (small) 2 year old pond.

Frogs are the gardener's friend as they eat slugs etc. They're also a protected species.

Lot of info on this site. It's the Irish Peatland Conservation website. You can help them greatly by filling in their frog survey card. I just emailed mine to them a few weeks back & included a few questions about frogs. They replied with the info I was looking for within a few days.

Enjoy your frogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

i took this on paddys day

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055858004

went back sun to do the same pic from underneath the water and .... no frogs left in the pond.

it was the sandyford pitch and putt course

so if anyone knows of where I can get into a pond and snorkle near frogs to photo them ... please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I thought my koy carp were dead and i put frog spawn in there..are they doomed to death?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

I took this photo of a toad, I think, in the Netherlands last week, what type is it does anyone know.

img00074201003192111.jpg

And what type of frog is this please, photo taken in Offaly a couple of weeks ago.

frogsb.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement