Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrested Development season finale tonight

• 10-02-2006 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭

The season (and quite possibly series) finale of Arrested Development airs tonight on FOX. Four episodes back to back......and broadcast against the Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony. Bravo FOX. *slow clap*

In "Save Our Bluths" gossip, Kristin from E! Online is not too confident that the show will last beyond tonight. But it's not for the lack of interested networks:
    And that's not for lack of options. After speaking with various reliable sources connected with the show, I can tell you that creator and exec producer Mitch Hurwitz is currently contemplating pickup deals from two networks. ABC has offered a 13-episode season to air on Thursday nights this fall. And an offer from Showtime is for 12 episodes a year for two years, with the option of a third.

By all accounts, Showtime is the more attractive offer, given that it would relieve the ratings pressure that has plagued the show from day one and also allow the cast to work on other projects nine months out of the year. However, for the writers and producers, it would be a similar amount of heavy lifting (especially for Hurwitz, who spearheads each episode from start to finish--'cause, let's face it, you can't delegate genius) for a network that might not have the budget to offer quite so much in return.

So, Hurwitz is...hesitant. That's what I'm told. Although I'm sure he loves Arrested like a firstborn child (as do we), he must decide whether it's worth it to uproot the show, transplant it to another network and continue to pour his blood, sweat and tears into something that, let's face it, the American viewing public has yet to embrace on a large scale.

A good article on the final showing of AD can be found here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Well we'll find out soon enough what will happen with the show. Once fox Drop it
    its up to Mitch Hurwitz to see what he wants so it really depends on him. It will be sad to see the best comedy ive ever seen go after only 3 seasons(considering that the simpsons is on its 17th) but i guess thats because the show never got the audience it deserved.
    And by the look of things at the moment the third season wont even make it onto irish or british tv.
    Ah well *sigh*

For anybody who has never see the show, if you have broadband you can check out the pilot on youtube.com I Highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭rikerdonegal

I don't know whether to watch them all in one burst, or savour them out over the rest of the week.

Either way, it'll all be over wa-a-a-ay too soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

OMG JUSTINE IS YOUR SISTER MAN! WHAT HAPPENED TO FAMILY TIES.. :s

• Registered Users Posts: 43,759 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Am delaying my project work to sit down down and watch the final 4 (Fox) episodes of AD.

I'm somewhat skeptical about it coming back.. i really hope it does but seeing that Mitchell Hurwitz is probably somewhat hesistant with the bitch-slapping the show got from Fox, i'd be more in Kristin's corner on the whole thing.

Farewell for now 'Arrested Development'... hopefully not for good!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

In our flat, we're settling on two today and two tomorrow. It's a tradeoff between gorging on them all and trying to savor them as the last new ones we'll quite possibly ever get.

FOX? You've made a huge mistake :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

It's a shame that they may not be back at all, Hurwitz got such a raw deal that you can understand why he's contemplating giving up... I hope he doesn't though.

I haven't seen any of Season 3, will probably wait for the DVD to watch them all, I would love to find out what the last "on the next Arrested Development" will be like...

Please Jebus, save this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Watched them - they were good - not sure if they were quite the same standard as usual though. It would be a shame to let this show die, they have found a great balance of cast and writing - which is rare. Someone needs to pick this show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭rikerdonegal

Finally dragged them out over a 48 hour period.

#10 was okay, not great.
    #11 and #12 were fantastic.
    #13 was very good, and a fitting end (if an end it has to be...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

I watched them all consecutively, and even though they were all great (well, #10 was the weakest IMO, as rikerdonegal said) I felt very sad after watching the final scene. The final episode had the feel of a series finale. :(

The last three episodes were superb! So much was resolved, the characters really made us care for them again (character dilution is one reason some people give for why season three wasn't as strong as the first two), an ending(?) was given to many storylines, all of the characters had fantastic lines and scenes, especially Tobias and G.O.B. Not forgetting George Michael's scenes with Maeby and Michael..........I miss AD already. I can only hope that it returns for a fourth season. If it doesn't, at least we have a satisfactory finale to the funniest show on TV.

So many great scenes and lines, way to many to remember them all. Some of my favourites were:
    Franklin!

G.O.B. "She turns illusions for money."

G.O.B. "I make some threats, wear this hat and collect my 10 percent."

George Sr.: "I'm going to prison. [pause] You haven't heard from Oscar lately, have you?"

Workers love Nellie

Tobias's suit

George Michael: So he's actually in an Iraqi prison?
    Michael: No, it's US run. God knows what they're doing to him.

The Iraqi riot (and the entire Iraq sequence)

Where does GOB live?

Michael: "How long has this been going on?"
    George Michael: "I don't know....53 weeks?"

In newspaper: "TV DVD sales enjoy all time high" (hint much?)

G.O.B. "Why go for the best when you can go for the rest?........of your life with a younger man."

Michael and George Michael sailing off into the sunset.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,759 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Enjoyed episode 1,2 and 4 myself. Thought episode 3 was a bit boring!

Some excellent cameos! Enjoyed Gary Cole's cameo - reminded me of himself and Jason as the commentator's in "Dodgeball"!

Some fantastic dialogue in the episodes.. but i truly think the ending of the show left it pretty much tied up.

Sad to see it go but at least it went out on a high...!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

*sob* Enjoyed it and really liked how it came full circle in the finale:
    Yeats pointed some out, but there was also Michael "What did we say is the most important thing?" and the whole family/breakfast answer being reversed from what it was in the pilot.

Obviously the whole boat scene mirrored the original as well, but this time Michael does escape. Aww..

Annyong was behind it all! And it explained that rather bizarre sequence when we found him in the walls of the Bluth household in S2. I can't believe they had planned it so well! Apparently there's little nods to it far back, as well as how Lucille is behind everything.

Liked how it was that seal with a bow that Buster had to face :)

As to Linsey being unrelated.. interesting. Apparently there's nods to that too. But I do still wonder about comments Tobias made about Maeby being made in a cup - I'm guessing there was artifical insemination of some sort? And is Tobias the father? Knowng this show, I could firmly believe that they went to a sperm bank and that the donated sperm came from Gob. I can really see that having been a S4 plot!

Now will someone please pick up this show? Please?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Awesome! :D
    ... but it might be over :(
    But it might not be :D
    ... but what if it is?!? :(
    In any case, those were awesome episodes to end on! :D

So many conflicting emotions...

This was pointed out on another board:
    In the season 2 episode when they pull the Banana Stand out of the bay after it was thrown in by "vandals":
    http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img6/14/000002_sm.jpg
    (copy and paste link, they show up through spoilers apparently)

Someone claims it says:
    "I'll get u Bluth"
    "-Hello"

Annyong!
    :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

*bump*

Any news is good news, right?
    http://www.betterthanfudge.com/?p=340

BopNiblets wrote:
    *bump*

Any news is good news, right?
    http://www.betterthanfudge.com/?p=340
    Sure, it's not official news by any means but that raises my hopes a little bit. If someone offered me a 12 epsiode fourth season of AD, I'd bite their hand off. :)

Hope springs eternal.
    Rumors are rampant that Arrested Development has been picked up by Showtime for a 26-episode order. Page Six in the New York Post floated that story this morning, in fact (which was replayed on Salon.com).

However, that's all they are right now: rumors. Fellow Squadder Ryan j Budke found out from his source at Showtime, who is close to the negotiations, that they are still in talks about the show and nothing is official yet. There may be an official announcement later in the week, but that's about the only information we've been given.

Don't worry: if word comes out that AD has been officially picked up, we'll have it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

It could even be june by the time they tell us whats happening. Thats when the actors contracts run out. Its hard to tell at this stage if it will get picked up. Its all down to Mitch Hurwitz and whether he wants to do another 2 seasons.

Advertisement