Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people not brush their hair these days

• 11-09-2015 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

Maybe it is just that I am getting old, very old, but looking at people going to work in the morning, I get the feeling that they have forgotten to (or just don't bother to) brush or comb their hair.

Now, it might be termed the modern style/look but to me it just looks very poor especially on the female gender because they have (usually) more hair than their male counterparts.

And while I'm at it, do people not carry handkerchiefs any more. Nothing worse than sitting opposite someone on the train who keeps sniffing. A paper tissue would at least be something.

Yes, I comb my hair (what's left of it) when I get up and always before I go outside; and I carry usually two handkerchiefs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

It's a crazy old world.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

And we are crazy old people!

I could put LOL, but I prefer proper English and just use the exclamation mark. Maybe I am just old fashioned and like life when we had respect for ourselves (being smartly dressed for work and with hair appropriately coiffed) and respect for others, the latter being sadly, in my opinion (but then, who am I), lacking in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

you cant brush what you don't have :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Respect for ones self and others is dead.
    When most people are on minimum wage or have no job at all they become devalued and care less about their outward appearance.

Appearance is not measured in the modern workplace as much as prompt attendance , timekeeping and output. Anything that gets in the way of this or delays people such as neat formal dress etc is dumped as it is not measured by the bosses in a modern workplace. Also the same goes for politeness etc and "giving people time"....all gone in the fight for greater profits and efficiency.

I suppose there are those who do still have good manners, nicely presently, use their P's and Q's etc., but I have noticed that it has become more rare in recent years. Particularly in driving. Several times in the last two weeks I have noticed cars stopped at a red light and twenty seconds later the driver at the front decides he can't be bothered waiting any longer and just heads off. Besides the obvious danger of actually causing a crash, injuring or killing somebody, it shows no respect for other people, laws or rules. It frightens me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,943 ✭✭✭✭looksee

doolox wrote: »
    Respect for ones self and others is dead.
    When most people are on minimum wage or have no job at all they become devalued and care less about their outward appearance.

Appearance is not measured in the modern workplace as much as prompt attendance , timekeeping and output. Anything that gets in the way of this or delays people such as neat formal dress etc is dumped as it is not measured by the bosses in a modern workplace. Also the same goes for politeness etc and "giving people time"....all gone in the fight for greater profits and efficiency.

I can't say that I have noticed this, I can't think of anywhere where I have come across scruffily dressed people when a smart appearance would have been more appropriate.

Styles are more relaxed than they used to be, I am not complaining about that though, its just the current way of doing things, not worse than the old ways, and often better.

I can recall lots of people in the service industry in the 'old days' who were very much concerned with how superior they could look. You can get rude people in shops, and anywhere else, but you always could, its nothing new. There are also lots of pleasant, helpful, cheerful people around. I could complain occasionally but that is because they are the exception rather than the rule.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I suppose there are those who do still have good manners, nicely presently, use their P's and Q's etc., but I have noticed that it has become more rare in recent years. Particularly in driving. Several times in the last two weeks I have noticed cars stopped at a red light and twenty seconds later the driver at the front decides he can't be bothered waiting any longer and just heads off. Besides the obvious danger of actually causing a crash, injuring or killing somebody, it shows no respect for other people, laws or rules. It frightens me.
    Of course, you know the definition of a 'split second'? The time taken between the traffic lights turning green and the driver of the car behind you sounding his/her horn!

Understood. But these cars were all stopped and the lights were red for at least 20 seconds. No green light, and no horn. Looksee, you are lucky. Now, scruffiness in itself doesn't upset me, clothes are much more casual these days and I like that aspect of the 21st century but folk going to the shops in their pyjamas, to me that is just downright lazy, and I regularly drive along streets where it is practised (and perfected).

I understand what you are saying JB, and I agree about pyjamas - and some of the sloppier versions of tracksuits etc, though I have never actually seen anyone in their pyjamas in the street, I must live a very sheltered life :D

But again, there have always been sloppy people. From my childhood I seem to recall that the nadir of scruffiness was the women you would see venturing out in the wrap-around pinny, slippers, and the curlers under a headscarf!

looksee wrote: »
    .....But again, there have always been sloppy people. From my childhood I seem to recall that the nadir of scruffiness was the women you would see venturing out in the wrap-around pinny, slippers, and the curlers under a headscarf!

But at least they were dressed! I remember the curlers under the headscarf. It used to take hours in the curlers to attain true perfection in curls so they wouldn't have been able to take them out to run to the shops. Obviously, they had a heavy date that night, or were heading out to a dance. Bet ya wouldn't have recognised them later in the evening in their swish frocks, stilettos and gorgeous hair-dos! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

To me, this thread seems to be a little bit along the lines of "... the youth of today!!" No generation will ever be able to come to terms with the shocking, scandalous behaviour of the younger generation. It's been like that forever.

I was watching a show tonight on TV (not on the internet!) about the 80s, and it was amazing how seriously racist, sexist, and homophobic everyone seemed to be. These attitudes were just a fact of life at the time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, not everything deteriorates over time.

I did say, "Maybe it is just that I am getting old, very old, ..." so yes, it may be a generation thing.

However, in any generation, I think, people should carry handkerchiefs, whether 'proper ones' or tissues.

Yes, I confess that we do sound like a pack of old fogies. However, the people I described in my post could in no way be described as 'young'. All ages. All flippin' ages have lost the ability to be respectful. How and why do people become so arrogant? Everyone is full of ME, ME, ME. Everyone else can go jump in a lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Andthatsanotherthing........

What about them young lads that go around always looking like they shaved 3 days ago ?

I mean why ?

and also

How ?

Do they go into hiding for a couple of days every time that they shave ?

I need to know ( not )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

0lddog wrote: »
    Andthatsanotherthing........

What about them young lads that go around always looking like they shaved 3 days ago ?

I mean why ?

and also

How ?

Do they go into hiding for a couple of days every time that they shave ?

I need to know ( not )
    Simple really they use a hair clippers every day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Sam Kade wrote: »

Is this ( and I hesitate to use the word for fear of over exciting certain regulars ) some sort of Fetish:eek: ?

Sam Kade wrote: »

Well I often wondered about that. I confess I am getting used to seeing beardy men now. It took me a while to get used to it but I'm liking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

0lddog wrote: »
    Is this ( and I hesitate to use the word for fear of over exciting certain regulars ) some sort of Fetish:eek: ?
    Not sure, I just imagine it can be the only way to have a constant stubble.

Workers at Government department complain of 'scruffy' colleagues. Concerns over staff's appearance.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/scruffy-civil-servants-create-a-bad-impression-31539858.html

Sort of goes along with what I was saying about coiffed hair and lack of a handkerchief.

I and others on another forum here have previously made this same complaint, and one particular civil servant we come across regularly arrives to work dressed in a track suit! :mad::mad::mad: And no, he doesn't work in a gym either!

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I and others on another forum here have previously made this same complaint, and one particular civil servant we come across regularly arrives to work dressed in a track suit! :mad::mad::mad: And no, he doesn't work in a gym either!

Ah no, agreed, that's not on!

In one government department's centre, I had a written appointment for 9.30 a.m. I arrived 10 minutes early to be told that that department didn't open until 10 a.m. While waiting, I saw an employee walking around in flipflops. While another, in the same building spent over 30 minutes outside talking on her mobile phone. So that obviously wasn't her tea-break and I doubt very much if it was a 'customer'. At the reception desk, the male attendant was wearing a T-shirt and well-worn jeans.

We're DOOMED, I tell you, DOOMED!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭ Michaela Most Figurine

Id just like to say on the topic of respect and manners, I commute to work on a daily basis and use the train and the people with the least manners and respect for others are the middle aged/Elderly.

When I'm pushed out of the way, or rammed into, it's usually by a senior citizen.

Id just like to say on the topic of respect and manners, I commute to work on a daily basis and use the train and the people with the least manners and respect for others are the middle aged/Elderly.

When I'm pushed out of the way, or rammed into, it's usually by a senior citizen.

I'd kinda doubt that really. I suspect the perception is down to expectation.

A younger person nudges against you or gets in front of you and that is just the push and shove of getting places. An older person does it and you notice because you expect older people to be a bit more mannerly.

And really, old people are just young people who have been around longer, if they were ignorant and pushy in their youth, they are likely to continue that way as they age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭ Michaela Most Figurine

There is absolutely no doubting it at all. Everyone stands on the platform waiting for the train, train pulls up and people make their way towards the carriage doors. The older ladies (it's always the ladies) will come up at the side of you while you're waiting to open the door, elbows out and will push in passed you.
    It's the same on the luas. Shove shove shove. Yesterday on the luas I had to turn around and ask an elderly woman to stop pushing me.

Me, not guilty!

I take the Luas on a rare occasion but I have never pushed anyone on the Luas, on a bus or a train, or on an airplane, never, never in my life have I ever pushed anyone. So, not guilty here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

You might be right on expectation.

I think I notice different types of rudeness from different groups.

I certainly notice getting clobbered by an old "lady's" bag as she shoves in front of me and gives me a good eyeballing for the temerity of having been in this line before her and not moving out of the way at once for her. So my memory probably fills in all of the (many) occassions where that happens and less so with other groups. Partly because of the traditional "back in my day, we were respectful!" tropes.

Couple of other things are things that -we- might not specifically get and so don't think exist. An example here would be cat-calling.

I have gotten cat-called and honked at by young *****s in cars more times than I can count. Nasty or sexual comments thrown at me from some little coward backed up by being in a fast vehicle, surrounded by his mates calling at a lone woman in the street. Oh, you brave man, I swoon. Seen it happen to friends. Heard about it more times. Never see it happen to young fellas, so maybe I'd reckon it didn't exist. But my six-foot, broad-shouldered, be-bearded partner got a catcalling a couple of weeks ago by a gaggle of young wans. Wouldn't have done it to me, because I'm a girl, just as those fellas wouldn't have done it to him, because he's a large male.

Elderly ladies are probably more likely to bash young wans who they mentally class as disrespectful brats than they are to bash a mature lady or gentleman that they class as being more akin to them (yes, yes, very delicate wording in the Oul Wans and Oul Fellas forum, don't hurt me! :D ).

• Advertisement

Samaris wrote: »
    ....I have gotten cat-called and honked at by young *****s in cars more times than I can count...:D ).

I almost said 'God be with the days' until I remembered one day when I was about 15/16 years of age (around the time of the dinosaurs) I received a few wolf whistles from a couple of guys and thought I was the bee's knees. Then I saw them whistling at a 'wan who I thought wasn't dressed as trendy as me, and wasn't wearing gorgeous knee-high boots like me, and didn't have long shiny tresses like me, and wasn't wearing any make-up like me. And I felt terribly upset that they would whistle at just anyone.........just like me! :eek::D The growing-up process was painful.

Advertisement