Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday Game theme tune

• 10-06-2015 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭

Read that the composer (James Last) died recently. Original theme below, was remixed a few times later I believe.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Ruu wrote: »
    Read that the composer (James Last) died recently. Original theme below, was remixed a few times later I believe.

Never knew James Last composed The Sunday Game theme.Up to quite recently I thought he was Irish,I think I was subconsciously mixing him up with James Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Never knew it myself until today. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It has been re-arranged twice - once in the mid-1990s, though they reverted back to the original two years later, and again in 2008, which is the version they currently use.

They also used two different themes during the 2000s - an "ominous Latin chanting" theme from 2004-2006 (whoever was in charge of RTE Sport at that time loved the ominous chanting, pretty much every sports programme had their theme tunes replaced with something along similar lines) and a more conventional instrumental theme in 2007 whose only crime was that it wasn't Jagerlatin. (But oddly was of such similar lenght that the same titles could be used the next season when the familiar music was reinstated.)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Played out with the original arrangement tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

They should've left it alone-the original Sunday Game theme.
    I hate the current version-was only thinking this when watching it last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They also ruined the late late show intro. This is the one I remember from the 80's, this says 1996, I think it may have changed and change back again. It had the distinct whistle in it.

I remember we had a album of all the RTE themes.

the original from 1965

I always thought it sounded like this, and it was released by the same guy in the same year

Advertisement