Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2015 brides!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

New to this thread also and very impressed by people's organisational skills! Another 2015 bride, also booked the converse allstars so nice to hear others have also! Have Church, venue, wedding singer and photographer booked.

Starting the dress hunting now, was going to go to the bridal outlet but was put off by stories of voluntary liquidation and cash only sales. I know a few of you got dresses there, do they seem open for business and a safe enough bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mslady

How is everyone getting on with the dress hunt? I'm finding it SO hard to figure out which one is the "one"!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AMGC

Have ta say I was like you, all the dresses are beautiful I found it difficult to compare totally different dresses! I did buy my dress 8 months ago but now I'm starting to have doubts, don't kno wat ta do I'm so confused!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

mslady wrote: »
    How is everyone getting on with the dress hunt? I'm finding it SO hard to figure out which one is the "one"!

I think I've found mine :eek::eek:. It was in the third shop I went to, and was about the 15th dress I tried on overall. I thought I'd found it in shop 2 and that's still a gorgeous dress, but when I tried on The Dress, my bridesmaid cried and the sales assistant gasped* :D. I'm going back on Thursday to try it on again with my mum, and the best thing of all is it's a brand new sample, possibly never even tried on before, and it fits me! So I can buy off the rail at a reduced price :D

This saves me the trauma of wondering should I buy it in Canada because I'm unlikely to save much now, and I can just get it shipped over to me in a year for fittings.

/edit: *gasped sounds very dramatic. It was more of an 'aah!'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

Im so nervous after reading this thread. Im September 2015 and have my venue and church booked and that's about it.
    I haven't even started looking at dresses yet, (i hate shopping)
    I have asked for quotes from bands and photographers etc, but find most of the industry really bad at replying to emails. You really have to chase them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭clumsyklutz

I knew straight away that it was my dress, I got THAT feeling, and I'm extremely fussy, so I had 4 shops booked, turned out I only needed one. The Bridal Outlet to me, seems like a fine place to get a dress, they merged with Moreland Bridal, and yes they do only take cash, but that was fine, as they allow you to leave whatever you want off the dress (they need 30% to order it though). The place was also extremely busy, so I'm sure it's perfectly fine. (They have a big enough selection too)

Ended up getting dress off the rail at a fantastic price in bcouture arklow. The ladies working there are fantastic. Had found the dress already in Memorie on parliament Street temple bar which had far and away the most beautiful dresses of any shop I'd seen! They are all samples or preworn and great value, lots of high end designers vera Wang etc.
    I was really impressed by it! Dress I feel in love with had been alerted too short but sourced it in bcouture. Honestly if I'd seen the value around for buying off the rack I wouldn't even have v started looking so soon! Got worried by the whole you have to order eight months ahead theory. Got a fab dress at half the price so my advice is try preworn or a sample dress for a brilliant bargain!

Ended up getting dress off the rail at a fantastic price in bcouture arklow. The ladies working there are fantastic. Had found the dress already in Memorie on parliament Street temple bar which had far and away the most beautiful dresses of any shop I'd seen! They are all samples or preworn and great value, lots of high end designers vera Wang etc.
    I was really impressed by it! Dress I feel in love with had been alerted too short but sourced it in bcouture. Honestly if I'd seen the value around for buying off the rack I wouldn't even have v started looking so soon! Got worried by the whole you have to order eight months ahead theory. Got a fab dress at half the price so my advice is try preworn or a sample dress for a brilliant bargain!

Should add bridal boutique were really helpful too and had some lovely dresses! The lady in there have great honest advice so it's a good place to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭CorkClaire82

annoyedgal wrote: »

I'd never heard of that Memories place in Temple Bar so I'll definitely be going there, thanks for the tip annoyedgal.

I went to Amore Bridal in Youghal and they were brilliant in there. The selection they have is really good and the two girls really know what dresses suit what body shape. I found a beautiful dress but I find it very hard to justify the cost to myself, it's a dress for ONE day like!!

Going to Little White Dress in Castleknock on Saturday which I've heard is expensive but sure it'll give me more ideas what suits me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mslady

I'd never heard of that Memories place in Temple Bar so I'll definitely be going there, thanks for the tip annoyedgal.

I went to Amore Bridal in Youghal and they were brilliant in there. The selection they have is really good and the two girls really know what dresses suit what body shape. I found a beautiful dress but I find it very hard to justify the cost to myself, it's a dress for ONE day like!!

Going to Little White Dress in Castleknock on Saturday which I've heard is expensive but sure it'll give me more ideas what suits me.

Memories is defo worth a visit! I actually wanted to go back to try on one that I loved but it's been sold...devastated! They only have one of each dress so it's not like a conventional bridal shop...raging!

That's the catch with Memories, they're one offs so the dress might not be there the next day! I would recommend bringing someone in case you need to make a decision on the day. You can also put down a deposit which you can transfer to another dress or item. I put 100 on dress that I'll put towards a veil as I got the dress in a different shop in the end.

Hi all, if there are any Cork brides out there definitely look in the Moderne. I didn't think I'd find anything there based on the selection on their website but actually I was very surprised. I got my dress there on Saturday so chuffed with myself now. All the big things are ticked off now so back to relaxing again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hello oh id be a Corcaigh one.. Mum was saying alright that they were great, haven't even started looking at them yet. Was going to wait until next year as I don't want to be sick or it by then..Haha I can see myself trying it on one night after a tipple and getting caught in it or something..

Milly33 wrote: »
    Hello oh id be a Corcaigh one.. Mum was saying alright that they were great, haven't even started looking at them yet. Was going to wait until next year as I don't want to be sick or it by then..Haha I can see myself trying it on one night after a tipple and getting caught in it or something..

I live in Dublin so left the dress down in my mam and dad's house in Cork. I really will have to ignore I have it so I don't keep looking at it and then convince myself I actually don't like it. But I'll still need to look at it enough so I don't build it up too much. God I'm a girl :P

haha so you have it at a safe enough distance that is good.. Im the opposite really i hate shopping especially for clothes so maybe thats why im not doing it now..

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Dorothy Roxy

Hi everyone, long time lurker so I thought it's about time I join in :)

We got engaged at Christmas and are getting married in September next year in Portugal.

So far we have the venue, band, food and photographer all booked.

I also have my dress which was a total accident. My sister and I were talking about the wedding so we decided for fun to take a drive to The White Room. I knew what type of dress I wanted but didnt expect to find it but as soon as I walked into the showrooms I saw it. My sister persuaded me to try it on and 20mins later i had bought my wedding dress!! They do say if its meant for you then it wont pass and i really think this dress was meant for me, i absolutely love it!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Getting married in May in Limerick - still have a LOT to do! We have our humanist celebrant and venue booked and I have my dress, a cousin of my OH will be our photographer, but need to sort out a florist, DJ and men's formalwear soon. I'm waiting until the new year to sort out bridesmaid dresses, one of mine is moving back from New Zealand in October and she has just had a baby so needs a bit of time there.

Have also pretty much decided to do my first half-ironman next summer, so hoping that the training over the winter will help with Operation Look Fabulous In My Dress :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭trudy2222

The venue, the church and yesterday we booked the band. I had been looking at the Converse Allstars over the past couple of weeks and then we were at a wedding where they were playing so we decided we'd just go for them so that was really easy :) In the next couple of weeks we'll have the photographer booked. Then we'll leave it for the summer and get back into it around September time.

Going looking at dresses in Youghal tomorrow, no interest to be honest but sure I'll give it a go.

Hi @CorkClaire82 just wondering if you could pm me the deposit for the converse allstars I know it's a bit rude to ask but I'm finding it a bit difficult to get in touch with them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Sherlof3

Hi all! Engaged six months now and planning a wedding for next June in France! It's amazing how quickly everything has booked up, I've looked at a few places in Ireland and so many Saturdays and defo bank holidays are gone at any of the half decent venues! How long are ye ladies leaving between engagement and wedding? 1 year nearly doesn't seem long enough!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Roughly a year and a half for us - engaged in late 2013 and getting married in Limerick in May 2015. We booked our venue and celebrant in June and we were very lucky to get the date we got (Saturday 23rd). Our weekend is the UK bank holiday weekend but a week before the Irish one, which suits us quite well :)

One of the venues we looked at had literally every Saturday from April to October already booked up when we visited them...

18 months for us. Engaged February 2014, getting married August 2015. Less than 12 months left already!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Sherlof3

I have less than a year and have no venue! Not going to view venues until the start of October, so hopefully will nail something down then so I can get my Save the Dates out! It will all come together I'm sure but know I will relax much more once I have a venue! How have you found budget discussions with parents or family? My dad was hoping to help us out with something, be it the band or flowers or something, he told me I was mad when I showed him the price of things, but now he realises that's what it costs!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

This time 7 months I will be a nervous wreck :D getting those last finishing touches ready.. waiting for my Mother and Bridesmaids to come over and spend the night with me.. My dress will be hanging on the landing, my shoes and bag will be laid out beside it.. I will have already packed the Hubby to Be off to his Mothers.. and we will be getting married tomorrow!!!! EEEEK

Oh God it's flying in :eek: :D

Have loads done but still a few more things to organise.. such as church singer, videographer, bridesmaids shoes, pick my bouquet etc.. Can't believe how fast the time has gone since we got engaged!!! Wow!!

Less than a year wow are you leaving it a bit tight to book.. They get snapped up so fast... I suppose if you don't have a particular one in mind then your sorted.

7 months to go, are you getting nervous at all Xzanti? Sounds like you have the most of it done and dusted you can just relax a bit.. It is amazing how time flies alright.

I think a year is plenty of time to wait, id nearly get it done sooner if not for the mula and the weight..Would love to just surprise everyone with a sneaky wedding party

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

mine is gonna be a two and half year engagement. it sounds long, but is almost a year away and has flown in already.

I'm beginning to regret the date we chose as we chose September. We paid the full summer rates and could have chosen any weekend in summer cause it was so far prebooked, but alas picked September... I was thinking its nearly always warmer in September anyway.
    Now looking at how cold and dark it is for August and how quick Autumn is coming in, I'm starting to get nervous. Also, two people have said to me, "oh well i'd say you got a good rate cause you're off peak time in September" :O :O :O i feckin paid full whack. lmao, minor detail I know.

September is usually quite nice - probably more reliably so than August! I wouldn't worry too much :). We're the 8th of August which was gorgeous this year, but the next day was LASHING so it's impossible to guess how the weather will be!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Milly33 wrote: »
    7 months to go, are you getting nervous at all Xzanti? Sounds like you have the most of it done and dusted you can just relax a bit.. It is amazing how time flies alright.

I don't think it's really hit home yet :D I'll probably have a huge meltdown a week before it.. but so far so good.. I think I'm more nervous about the Hen for some strange reason.. odd I know!!!
    emzolita wrote: »
    Now looking at how cold and dark it is for August and how quick Autumn is coming in, I'm starting to get nervous. Also, two people have said to me, "oh well i'd say you got a good rate cause you're off peak time in September" :O :O :O i feckin paid full whack. lmao, minor detail I know.

I don't think it matters when you have it tbh.. apart from the money obviously, but with regard to the weather.. it could lash rain at any time of the year.. look at some of the days we've had in August, and the sun could be splitting the trees in Feb or March..

Also, someone made a very good point to me when I was booking my date.. the better the weather is, the more likely your guests are to spend the day out in the beer garden.. I'd rather keep all my guests together inside for photos etc than have them scattered around the place.. :D

Ideally I'd love it to be nice and sunny for the ceremony and photos and then let it lash rain for the evening :D I know, how selfish of me :P

Oh we were thinking September, I think it's a lovely time of year so don't be rethinking it.

We are having a much longer engagement than planned - engaged June 2013, marrying April 2015. Few things happened that meant we couldn't get going on the planning but look at it now, it's less than 9 months to go :) It's brilliant though so it's all worked out really.

• Advertisement

September by any pricing we done anywho is peak time. I kinda thought the same (also thought end of August would be but nope) and as above don't stress about the weather you can never tell with Ireland which is a shame but when the kids go back to school tis always nice in September. Well be a year tomorrow now eecck going to write down things like if tis a nice day tom and what time it gets dark just to know..

Oh for any Cork Ladies too there is an off the rail sale (I think that's what they call it) in Brides of Eire check their facebook page, it is on the 30th of August suppose to have some tasty dresses

Advertisement