Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community - Season 4 [US] *Spoilers*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I expect the cancellation announcement from NBC any day now, it's not getting a back 9. So the only way for this show to survive will be on cable or perhaps Netflix or Hulu.

Either way its days are severely numbered!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Really can't understand why people are so happy that he's gone. He was an integral part of the show and was responsible for some great moments. Don't think the show is going to be the same without him and I think this could be the second last nail in the coffin.

Simple: Pearce was an awful, awful person & around the time of the Dunegons & Dragons episode - where he surpassed himself in douchebaggery - I became at a loss as to how the group kept him around. It's a silly, daft show but most characters have grown and changed (eg Britta went from the conscience to a moron haha) with the exception of Chase's character. Every time he looked like he might soften, next week he'd be back to his normal self. You're right the show won't be the same, it'll be better - potentially at least.

I don't have any opinion-baggage about Chevy Chase, I understand him to be difficult, but tbh I didn't care that much about that factor, only that Pearce was horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

As I've said elsewhere, I always thought Pierce and Shirley were the weak links of an otherwise superb cast of characters. Not sorry to see the back of Pierce.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd have preferred Shirley to leave. She's insufferable but Pierce made me laugh which is all I care about.

Getting déjà vu from another thread...

pixelburp wrote: »

Simple: Pearce was an awful, awful person & around the time of the Dunegons & Dragons episode - where he surpassed himself in douchebaggery - I became at a loss as to how the group kept him around. It's a silly, daft show but most characters have grown and changed (eg Britta went from the conscience to a moron haha) with the exception of Chase's character. Every time he looked like he might soften, next week he'd be back to his normal self. You're right the show won't be the same, it'll be better - potentially at least.

I don't have any opinion-baggage about Chevy Chase, I understand him to be difficult, but tbh I didn't care that much about that factor, only that Pearce was horrible.

The way in which Pierce was used over the last season, starting with the D&D episode came across as Harmon bring a spiteful child. Up until that point Pierce had been nicely evolving as a character and all of a sudden he was a truly nasty character. Really negated the 2+ years of character development that he'd gone through and if anything it seems that he's equally as nasty in the upcoming series given the recent on set outburst.

Shirley is the only character in the show who never brings any laughs. They tried to make her the moral centre of the show but failed miserably. She's an annoying, unfunny character who only ever positive was brining a Cosby kid in that sweater his dad gave him.

And Richard, kindly fcuk off with the its getting cancelled crap. No one us interested in it, you've spent the past number of years saying it over and over again and like many shows you claim will be cancelled it has yet to be. While its chances of survival are slim it's not the first time and any network would be stupid to cancel a show do close to syndication.-

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'd prefer nobody leave. Doesn't matter who disappears from the cast, it will leave a big racist hole in the show that cannot be filled.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Doesn't really matter, they'll all be ex-cast soon since NBC seem determined to kill the show

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I have to agree with Richard here. I love community and wish it would thrive and continue, but I feel the writing is well and truly on the wall unless a miracle happens (Netflix, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

It seems I have to be the voice of reason yet again around here, to those surrounding themselves in doom and gloom and convincing themselves Community will be cancelled.

Community is and always has been a ratings flop and in a nutshell should not have made it beyond it's first season.
    What happened then you ask? NBC was up sh*t creek without a paddle, so had enough space on their schedule to keep certain shows around despite their ratings, provided it had a loyal fan-base (I'll refer you to Chuck at this point - ratings failure, but lasted 5 Season, thanks to fan loyalty)....
    Now, while NBC is in a substantially better position than it was a year and a half ago when Chuck was given a final season, it is still in a transition period where it can afford to keep certain underperforming shows on their schedule regardless of ratings.
    Community is a relatively cheap show to produce, only takes up 30 minutes on the schedule, and with 30 Rock, The Office ending, Animal Hospital cancelled, and Guys With Kids, Up All Night and Whitney on the brink of cancellation, and Community still 4 episodes away from syndication at the end of this season, I predict that it will return for a 5th and final season of 13 episodes on the 2013/2014 schedule.

And as for the departure of Chevy Chase, Community is the type of show that could simply re-cast the character and have none of the other characters even notice, except for Abed who'd be like "There's something different about Pierce." It's the perfect joke...
    Fingers crossed, Bill Murray will be the new Pierce...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Patrick Stewart will be the new Pierce. Calling it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,443 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Make it so.

phasers wrote: »
    Patrick Stewart will be the new Pierce. Calling it.

You can't call it. It's too late. I've seen everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I did laugh at TVByTheNumber's headline on the matter..

Screen_Shot_2012_11_22_at_184438.png

Well played. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,347 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It seems I have to be the voice of reason yet again around here, to those surrounding themselves in doom and gloom and convincing themselves Community will be cancelled.

Community is and always has been a ratings flop and in a nutshell should not have made it beyond it's first season.
    What happened then you ask? NBC was up sh*t creek without a paddle, so had enough space on their schedule to keep certain shows around despite their ratings, provided it had a loyal fan-base (I'll refer you to Chuck at this point - ratings failure, but lasted 5 Season, thanks to fan loyalty)....
    Now, while NBC is in a substantially better position than it was a year and a half ago when Chuck was given a final season, it is still in a transition period where it can afford to keep certain underperforming shows on their schedule regardless of ratings.
    Community is a relatively cheap show to produce, only takes up 30 minutes on the schedule, and with 30 Rock, The Office ending, Animal Hospital cancelled, and Guys With Kids, Up All Night and Whitney on the brink of cancellation, and Community still 4 episodes away from syndication at the end of this season, I predict that it will return for a 5th and final season of 13 episodes on the 2013/2014 schedule.

And as for the departure of Chevy Chase, Community is the type of show that could simply re-cast the character and have none of the other characters even notice, except for Abed who'd be like "There's something different about Pierce." It's the perfect joke...
    Fingers crossed, Bill Murray will be the new Pierce...
    Being 4 episodes short of 88 shows would not prevent Community from going into syndication.

I presume 88 is the new magic number due to it amounting to back to back episodes for 1/3 of a year.

If limping over this 88 limit was such a necessity they would just order a back 9 and be done with it.

Community has already been syndicated.

I saw a funny post on the Community subreddit from Collider:
    I, for one, commend Chase on his bold decision to leave the best thing he’s done in decades and return to obscurity.

Bill Murray in Community would be the single most greatest thing ever ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Chase is/was replaceable when it mattered during season 3. Harmon isn't. Honestly, the shows success flows so much from his own dysfunction and unique weirdness that anything that followed his exit was going to be a weak approximation at best.

People should check out Harmontown.

Bill Murray in Community would be the single most greatest thing ever ever.

Murray is quite an epic asshole himself......so.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Being 4 episodes short of 88 shows would not prevent Community from going into syndication.

I presume 88 is the new magic number due to it amounting to back to back episodes for 1/3 of a year.

If limping over this 88 limit was such a necessity they would just order a back 9 and be done with it.

Agreed....they'd give it 4 extra eps, or something, whatever it took to get the $$$.

• Advertisement

I have to agree with Richard here. I love community and wish it would thrive and continue, but I feel the writing is well and truly on the wall unless a miracle happens (Netflix, etc)

I think Community could live on for longer on cable, the entire show/content lends itself to cable. NBC are done with this....Netflix could pull a blinder here and have a hit.

Richard Dower in positive-post-about-community shocker! :)

Mr E wrote: »
    Richard Dower in positive-post-about-community shocker! :)

I'm being realistic, the fanbase is mental in its hardcore-ness and dedication, ergo they'll follow it to any channel or streaming. Its a small viewership but enough to warrent renewal on cable.

2.5 million and a 1.0 demo on cable = renewal. Streaming probably makes even more sense as i'm sure the fanbase are teh-heads and net nerds, so streaming is right up there alley :)

I'm calling cancellation because the show just DOES NOT fit on network....it never has!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Whether it lives on on cable or not, I'm calling a 5th and final season on NBC of 13 episodes will be announced in May. After that I can't predict what might happen.

Call me an optimist or whatever, but it follows the trend of NBC over the past few years to give it a fifth season.

And yes I do realise that my username is becoming more and more a parody of itself over the past year or so, because I'm generally Positive about stuff round these parts. Haters gonna hate, naysayers gonna naysay. Me, I'm just gonna roll with the good times...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Whether it lives on on cable or not, I'm calling a 5th and final season on NBC of 13 episodes will be announced in May. After that I can't predict what might happen.

Call me an optimist or whatever, but it follows the trend of NBC over the past few years to give it a fifth season.

And yes I do realise that my username is becoming more and more a parody of itself over the past year or so, because I'm generally Positive about stuff round these parts. Haters gonna hate, naysayers gonna naysay. Me, I'm just gonna roll with the good times...

Did you happen to throw your jacket over your shoulder and stroll out into a sunset upon finishing that sentence?

phasers wrote: »
    Community has already been syndicated.

I saw a funny post on the Community subreddit from Collider:

Chase was also pretty good in Chuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,347 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Well there's a bit of a difference between making a prediction on a potential 5th season and declaring yourself as the all conquering voice of reason around these parts as you did in your previous posts.

I'd be surprised if something like Netflix didn't pick up Community, then added it to their catalogue outside of the US. Surely they would be able to see the success Community has worldwide, which seems to be all but ignored by NBC.

Murray is quite an epic asshole himself......so.

Doesn't matter. I don't know what the syndication means, but there's likely only three episodes that Murray would have to be in. As someone suggested, Abed can be the only one that notices anything is different. Then over those episodes, they find out a way to write the Pierce character off, so that if it does get picked up by anyone else, they can go from there.

• Advertisement

Personally, I don't know if I want a fifth season... You'll never find a bigger Community fan than me but 4 seasons = 4 years of college. It's right. They'd have to pull something special off in season 4 to change my mind.

I'd hate them to drag it out and ruin my favourite show ever.

Advertisement