Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GTTR - too late to apply?

• 27-04-2010 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I just got my letter from Coleraine yesterday to say I have been unsuccessful. Rather than waiting and looking for sub work for another year does anyone know if it would be too late to apply through GTTR now? I know there are only a handful of places left and I wouldnt get my first choice but I will go anywhere to get qualified! Manchester, London and Aberdeen seem to have vacancies. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

Primary or secondary teaching?

There's no harm in applying but to be honest the deadline for primary applications was the December last and there were more applicants than ever for this year so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Most colleges want to to have a weeks work experience done in an English school and won't look at your application otherwise.

Would you not use the time being to get your application sorted,write a brilliant personal statement, get loads of experience and then get your application sent off the minute the applications open next September?
    You could do some research into which college you want to go to too as you'll get to choose from all of them.

Also do you want to go to England or Scotland because while you get free education in Scotland, you have to pay course fees in England but then you get a bursary of a few thousand pounds if you do your PGCE in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Lawa22

Thanks a million for the reply. Its secondary school teaching I'm applying for. I understand what your saying but Ive spent all this year teaching but unfortunately didnt get the dip here in Ireland! I just want to get qualified now and I dont really have a preference which university I go to! Sent my app into the GTTR so whatever will be will be! :)

What subject if you don't mind me asking because I can have a quick look on the gttr and tell you more. I've been through the whole gttr rigmarole and got the prospectuses for loads of English colleges through the post over the last two years lol.

Sorry to hear about the hdip, it's a pain how they tell you too late and it all just goes on results, I missed it by .5 of a percent a few years back!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Lawa22

My subject is english, there seems to be a few vacancies on the gttr but I have no idea as to where to go! did you do your pgce in england yeah? Any help at all would be great thanks! I think from now on people are going to need a masters or a very high 1.1 to get the dip here! :(

Aberystwyth University in Wales then in England Universities of Manchester, Bristol, Plymouth and Reading are the ones left with normal English secondary teaching left. The rest of them are offering English and drama it seems. Manchester and Bristol are two really good colleges, Aberystwyth is too but because it's in Wales I'm not sure if you get the bursary or not (you'd get a £6000 bursary for secondary teaching) If you apply straight away and waste no time at all getting reference and stuff (your referee will have to write a long enough reference when the gttr sends them an email) you should have a good enough chance. Stress all of the work experience you have done so far.
    I'm doing my business PGCE now and at the time I hadn't doone any work experience but wrote that I was going to as I had some lined up. Loads of people I met got offers on the condition that they do a weeks work experience in an English school so they do give you a chance sometimes.
    Sell yourself on the application. If there's still places available you prob have a good enough chance of an interview because most people applied before Christmas so the numbers who apply from March onwards is way lower.

• Advertisement
Advertisement