Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chemistry or Pharmacy - Advice sought

• 23-03-2010 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

My son has told me that he will be applying to study Chemistry or Pharmacy at a Scottish university or college, commencing in 2011.

I am looking for some advice -

1. The direction he needs to take in regard to his personal statement if he is still undecided between Pharmacy (at Strathclyde and Robert Gordons) and Chemistry (A.N. Other 3 choices?, probably between Strathclyde, Glasgow, Edinburgh, St. Andrews and Aberdeen).

2. Initial research shows me that some of the universities are collaborating with each other in research projects - ScotChem, WestChem & EastChem. Does the level of expertise/knowledge in areas of research make a significant difference to the content and teaching of an undergraduate program? Friends and colleagues advise that this only really matters if embarking on post-graduate studies.

3. The million dollar question, the one where the mirrors and smoke need to be stripped away. Is a degree from Aberdeen viewed as inferior/superior to a degree from Edinburgh or Glasgow or St.Andrews or are they viewed as equals? Are some universities regarded as vocational while others are more academically revered? Is grade inflation an issue at any of these universities?

Advertisement