Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VEC grant question

• 17-05-2010 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm currently living down South independently of my parents for 6 years, but moving to Belfast to do an University Access course in BMC in September. I don't qualify for a grant for this 1 year Access course, but I've been thinking ahead to the following year if I hopefully get a place on a University Undergraduate course.

From studentfinance.ie:
    In order to be eligible for the grant on residency grounds you must be residing in the local authority/VEC catchment area since 1 October 2008

Well I've been living here for 6 years, but I'm just wondering will the 1 year move to Belfast disqualify me for applying for a grant from my local VEC? I hope not...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Most likely it will, yes :( Regardless of how long you lived in the catchment area, they take a snapshot on 1st October of the year preceding your year of entry (i.e. 1st October 2010 if you are planning on starting your degree in September 2011).

Would you actually be moving to Belfast before 1st October this year? If you interpret the rules literally you could move on the 2nd and still be eligible to apply for the grant (under that rule at least, I don't know if by actually living in Belfast when you would want to apply you exclude yourself anyway).

Perhaps your local VEC/Council would be able to help?

Advertisement