Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon Treaty - Exit Poll

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

60% now :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

TBH I can't see how the no side could expect us to fully protect our €200 billion worth of fish without massive investment in the navy and air crops

Its easy to protect things that only exist in our mind. Even Winston Smith broke out for a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Ann22 wrote: »
    I voted yes. I know fcuk all about pollitics but In any of the debates I've listened to, the 'yes' campaigners seemed to have stronger arguments.
    However I do worry about our neutrality and what it could mean for our soldiers. It's ok saying we don't have to get involved in other wars but what if other countries say... 'why should we send our lads in when Ireland won't??'
    In saying that, what eventually made my mind up was the fact that all parties were pushing for a 'yes' vote (except for SF). They're all saying it's crucial for us for it to get through and that it'd be disastrous for the country if it's a 'no' vote. Bit scary that:eek: After listening to them all on the news last night I'd be afraid to vote 'no'.

Hi Ann22,I think a lot of people voted YES today through fear(as i believe did many NO voters)It is a fact that many people i have spoken to have voted whichever way they did due to listening to people they trust, as the treaty would strain the intellect of Einstein.

I have to disagree though that if we say yes we should also not do it in a half-hearted way.We should have the courage of our convictions and STOP being neutral in the military sense.(We did in WW2,although the reasons were complex for Devalera,surely Hitler was the bigger enemy!)

To some extent we like to have the benifits of the EU without wanting to pay the entrance fee.

We as a country cannot stomach abortion,but are in some cases glad it is available close by.
    to me that and neutrality is a form of cowardice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Dave! wrote: »
    If they don't make the right impression during their term then they'll be f*cked out next time, that's how democracy works

But once Lisbon is passed it can't be undone. So the concept of f*ucking out the current people in power who made the decision at the next elections is ineffective, because it's to late.

Lisbon changes how the EU works substantually and the citizens, the people who will be effected in one way or another for better or worse, did not get a say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

For anybody who's interested the 1st exit poll should go live when tomorow's irish times is uploaded at about 1 am.

• Advertisement

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    But once Lisbon is passed it can't be undone. So the concept of f*ucking out the current people in power who made the decision at the next elections is ineffective, because it's to late.

Lisbon changes how the EU works substantually and the citizens, the people who will be effected in one way or another for better or worse, did not get a say.

Ireland or any country can leave at any time....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Fine Gael exit poll shows 60% Yes:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1002/eulisbon.html

So wow, both meat space and virtual exit polls showing 60% yes.

If it turns out this way, this would be a major boost for boards.ie reputation. It means boards.ie exit polls, at least for referendums, are very accurate and you can trust them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

ei.sdraob wrote: »

But only if Lisbon is passed, it formally adds the ability to leave :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

dloob wrote: »
    But only if Lisbon is passed, it formally adds the ability to leave :D
    Greenland left in 85. It makes the procedure formal, defined and official but no-one's been making us or anyone else stay in the room.

An extreme measure no country will do. The fact remains Lisbon cannot be undone and the people will have to live with the consequences of their "elected representatives" decision.

• Advertisement

An extreme measure no country will do.

yes an extreme measure which is an ultimate form of a veto, it never came to it but if any country is ever unhappy about the direction being taken they can derail the whole train, by using this powerful card or even threat of it

The fact remains Lisbon cannot be undone and the people will have to live with the consequences of their "elected representatives" decision.

you conceding defeat already?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

bk wrote: »
    Fine Gael exit poll shows 60% Yes:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1002/eulisbon.html

So wow, both meat space and virtual exit polls showing 60% yes.

If it turns out this way, this would be a major boost for boards.ie reputation. It means boards.ie exit polls, at least for referendums, are very accurate and you can trust them.
    Wish I could find our poll for the last one... we were accurate to 0.2% as memory serves...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

DeVore wrote: »
    Wish I could find our poll for the last one... we were accurate to 0.2% as memory serves...

DeV.
    The thread was stickied up to about 3-4 months ago: Do you guys dump unstickied (and then closed) threads somewhere off the beaten track?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

That's always the way mate, look at John Gormley allowing national monuments to be excavated to facilitate the M3. Can't be undone. Brian Lenihan introduced the 'income levy' and made life more difficult for alot of people. Sure that can be removed once they're gone, but it could be 5 years of struggle that people can't get back. The Minister for Justice can grant someone refugee status, but it can't be taken away except in specific circumstances. I'm sure there's hundreds of examples but my brain is fried at the moment.

As I said before, the Finance Bill 2009 affects us far more considerably and far more directly, so why not have a referendum on that?

yes an extreme measure which is an ultimate form of a veto, it never came to it but if any country is ever unhappy about the direction being taken they can derail the whole train, by using this powerful card or even threat of it

you conceding defeat already?

I think this battle is lost, but not the war.

Britain will show how it's done should the Czechs buy them some time.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Actually its here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055310420

We were accurate to 0.8% with a prediction of 54.2% and the actual result was 53.4% for No.

That was on a sample set of 1460 here we have a sample set of 600 ish, so the variance might be higher but then this is an "exit" poll where as that was a "how do you intend to vote" poll.

I would be happy to call it for the Yes voters all the same but I think it will be closer then 60%... I'm sticking with 53% Yes.

DeV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

bk wrote: »
    It means boards.ie exit polls, at least for referendums, are very accurate and you can trust them.

Pity there will never be another one in the EUSSR comrade. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Congrats to the Yes side. Looks like they won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eureka1978

Fianna Fail said the FG informal polls revealed about 53 per cent yes, and that contradicts what the FG'ers were saying that it was 60%....so it's just another lie. Never throw in the towel until it's over and the votes counted. This type of dubious "informal" polling just gives the government an excuse to cheat and do ballot box stuffing to match and exceed this lying polling at selected locations like Ballsbridge where all the Dublin votes are to be transported to overnight for counting in the am. All governments lie, cheat, steal and kill innocent people and no government wants to lose a referendum. This is an information war www.infowars.com

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

eureka1978 wrote: »
    Fianna Fail said the FG informal polls revealed about 53 per cent yes, and that contradicts what the FG'ers were saying that it was 60%....so it's just another lie. Never throw in the towel until it's over and the votes counted. This type of dubious "informal" polling just gives the government an excuse to cheat and do ballot box stuffing to match and exceed this lying polling at selected locations like Ballsbridge where all the Dublin votes are to be transported to overnight for counting in the am. All governments lie, cheat, steal and kill innocent people and no government wants to lose a referendum. This is an information war www.infowars.com

Conspiracy Theory forum is thataway
    >>

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

eureka1978 wrote: »

Of course now they have to go and stuff enough Yes votes to make it 60%.

Fools. If they had said nothing they could have stopped at 50.1%

marco_polo wrote: »
    Of course now they have to go and stuff enough Yes votes to make it 60%.

Fools. If they had said nothing they could have stopped at 50.1%

:D very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

cupocoffee wrote: »
    Any NO voter is, in my opinion, a complete moron.

Come out .... show yourselves.

After tomorrow you may return to the shadows !!

Have you read through the thread you enlightened genius?

Do you see that even in the poll included here that a good proportion of people were against a Yes vote?

A few posts after the thing has ended really shows your thin skin

And then you call those people morons.. where were you during the debate?.... Pleading with your mam to vote on your behalf?

I can do insults too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Cop on! Any person who voted gets my respect. Its the people who were too tired up in their own lives to vote that deserve to be derided.

The NO side fought a tough campaign. But at least they fought which can only be for Ireland in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Im a no voter, but Im not a moron.
    Brains did'nt flow down in your case, did they ?

You can't generalise like that and say NO voters are morons. Anyone who voted yes or no based purely on lies during the campaign without informing themselves of the facts could be argued to be a moron though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

I voted (no) for a more democratic Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

I think an awful lot of genuine No voters were marginalised by the attention grabbing antics of Cóir, Libertas, and on boards a dedicated force of shills spouting lies ad nauseum. It got to the point where admitting you were a No voter could easily bring down a thunderstorm of ridicule for siding with Cóir, and the likes of Ganley, which I think led to an understandable "battening down the hatches" and digging into the trenches situation between the two camps.

Which is a shame really, but what can you do - referenda in Ireland just seem to go that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Aha, a bite :)

What were you voting for ?

The Euro 1.84 poster ?
    The "people died for your freedom poster - vote no" ?
    The "defend workers rights" poster ?

This was a simple vote - be with Europe - or be on the fringes of Europe.

Ireland must have a very high opinion of itself to potentially be saying "NO" - all I'm saying is that if you're one of those people then there's a bit of a reasoning block up there. I'm not saying you can't - just that you're a bit dim if you do :)

You know its possible for people to vote on their own opinions rather then stupid slogans...............such as "be with Europe or be on the fringes"

Some would actually consider Ireland to be more important in Europe right now (considering they need our consent to ratify a treaty) then we will be if this vote passes, which it seems like it will...... we will have a .8% vote in Europe, that my friend could be referred to as the fringes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I voted (no) for a more democratic Europe.
    Oh the irony.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement