Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Piliger wrote: »
    It's all well and good buying a Kindle. A nice gadget. But be aware of the control it will have over your reading !

You have to buy at their prices, instead of having access to the fantastic range of indie book sellers across the web and self pub'ed titles too. If you decide later to change device you can't. You are controlled by their security software. There is the wireless delivery fee. And Amazon have complete access to your library, to remove titles if they chose or not. You pay almost as much for an eBook as a paper book. But you can't read it on other devices, lend it, keep it safe for ten years. You buy at full price but they only agree to 'lend' the eBook to you.

A tablet or smart phone is the only way to get value and a choice of where to buy at good prices. And learning to make backups on your PC, and remove DRM is the only way to keep your titles safe and available later if you change devices.

I use an iPhone and intent to use a tablet soon. I like the Kindles and would like to have one. But I am not going to hand control over my purchases to Amazon.

:confused:

You can read your kindle book on every pc, every mac, every iPhone, every iPad, every windows mobile, every android phone every android tablet and every blackberry etc.

You can, and I do have hundreds of books on my Kindle, none of which came from Amazon.

Far as I know, there is no wireless delivery fee, on any purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

It's all well and good buying a Kindle. A nice gadget. But be aware of the control it will have over your reading !

You have to buy at their prices, instead of having access to the fantastic range of indie book sellers across the web and self pub'ed titles too. If you decide later to change device you can't. You are controlled by their security software. There is the wireless delivery fee. And Amazon have complete access to your library, to remove titles if they chose or not. You pay almost as much for an eBook as a paper book. But you can't read it on other devices, lend it, keep it safe for ten years. You buy at full price but they only agree to 'lend' the eBook to you.

A tablet or smart phone is the only way to get value and a choice of where to buy at good prices. And learning to make backups on your PC, and remove DRM is the only way to keep your titles safe and available later if you change devices.

I use an iPhone and intent to use a tablet soon. I like the Kindles and would like to have one. But I am not going to hand control over my purchases to Amazon.
    Well have to say (typing from my iPhone) there's no comparison in reading on a tablet or iPhone to reading on an ereader
    Re the kindle i think it offers the best value and is arguably the most mainstream ereader
    The control aspect in terms of buying from the amazon store and ownership afterwards is something I can live with - as I can buy from other sources and transfer onto the kindle if I want a book
    One nice thing is that at least I know that new releases can be preordered and will download automatically and there is a better chance of getting them on the same date as the proper book comes out - given amazons clout in the market place.
    There is of course book ownership issues on amazon store purchased content - however for popular fiction is more a disposable purchase than something that you want to keep and treasure ! For those special books that you know you will re-read I would recommend buying somewhere else and keeping in calibre - you can always download to the kindle
    Removing drm is a whole different thing and I'm not sure if it is something discuss able on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Removing drm is a whole different thing and I'm not sure if it is something discuss able on boards

I don't see why not, it's not a crime as far as I am aware. It's copyright infringement maybe, or maybe even as minor as breaking the terms and conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭japanesebanana

Has anyone used the kindle for reading technical pdfs or journal articles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Has anyone used the kindle for reading technical pdfs or journal articles?

Yep, it's ok .ish

As I said earlier, imho it's brilliant for reading books or newspaper articles, I don't think its very good for anything else including pdf's, browsing etc.
    For technical manuals, pdf's, I reckon you need color and probably touchscreen like an iPad or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Ironic much, coming from an iPhone user.;) In many ways Amazon is trying to mimic Apple's success with iPods/phones and iTunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cyprien

I'd like to know when the Kindle Touch is available in Ireland too, have just discovered release date Nov 21 is for USA only. Was all set to buy one in PC World for Xmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Where does that leave you in terms of buying books? If you buy the kindle from amazon us, does it mean that you only get US books?
    What's the difference if you buy it from PC world in terms of the books you can buy?
    Thanks.

You have to buy books from Amazon.com, yeah.
    cyprien wrote: »
    I'd like to know when the Kindle Touch is available in Ireland too, have just discovered release date Nov 21 is for USA only. Was all set to buy one in PC World for Xmas!

There is no set date for the Kindle Touch or Kindle Fire to be released in the UK yet, let alone Ireland. Keep checking both websites for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

Tesco Nutgrove shopping center have the new keyboardless kindle on sale a E115 2 security taged boxes on display this morning. Think it was this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0051QVF7A/ref=sa_menu_kdptq2

They also have the keyboard model for around E175

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Thanks for your post Richard!

So if I buy my kindle in PC World/Curry's, it's cheaper than buying online and I'll be downloading my content from amazon.com? Not that it makes a bit of difference! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

When I bought - the prices worked out less - and I think they still are. What you don't have to do is wait for the mail - and you can bug the people on the currys/pc world boards forum if you have problems :-)

I've heard rumours that Tesco sell them as well - not sure if they are selling them in Ireland though.

The cheapest option - is to buy the ad supported version in the US. If you have a way of getting it shipped to a postal address in the states and then pick it up. Aside from that option everything else seems to be more expensive than going into a local PC World.

Regarding buying books - with Calibre you can download from pretty much where ever you like and convert. Of course you also have the convenience of being able to download from Amazon.

Here's something else that might interest people

http://overdrive.com/news/OverDrive-and-Amazon-launch-Kindle-compatibility-with-Library-eBooks

Not here yet unfortunately - if you had a NY library card - you could probably dispense with buying from amazon completely :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭positron

Huge pile of Kindle 4s as you enter Tesco Drogheda as well - €115, I think they will shift thousands this Christmas season. Come Jan most bus/train commuters will be reading Kindles..!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PaddyBloggit

And I see them being advertised on the telly so the chances are they'll be a big Christmas hit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Can you even get the non-3g wifi only kindle any more?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Can you even get the non-3g wifi only kindle any more?

Yes. Absolutely.

See link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HFS6Z0/ref=famstripe_kk

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Biggins wrote: »

thanks but if i try to get that 99$ kindle to ireland it is 146E in my basket at checkout :/

thanks but if i try to get that 99$ kindle to ireland it is 146E in my basket at checkout :/
    Ouch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Have been torn between the Kindle Keyboard and the Sony T1. Had a hands on look at them at the weekend and I have to say I preferred the Sony. The kindle is just...kind of horrible and too grey plastic looking.

The SG card option on the Sony is also great. I am just wondering if you can convert kindle books to read on the Sony?

RonMexico wrote: »
    The SG card option on the Sony is also great. I am just wondering if you can convert kindle books to read on the Sony?

http://calibre-ebook.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Wow fantastic :D

Spotted the Sony T1 in Easons for €149. Think I'll go for it over the kindle.

• Advertisement

Only had the new one with no keyboard in pc world today, oh well. Might take a look at some of the other e-readers. it was a pain in the ass to search/type etc on it. Plus it has less functionality than the older kindle, makes no sense to me! Still would do me grand I suppose, just prefer at least the option of audio/SD and so on.

what annoyed me is dropping from 4gb to 2gb for the new version???

• Registered Users Posts: 13 belle87

Thinking of buying a kindle for my father for christmas and am looking for some advice as I dont know too much about how they operate.

We have a broadband connection already set up in our home, would the wireless kindle model be suitable to use with this?? And any preference between the touch screen and keyboard models from anyone's experience?

Just looking for some reviews I guess before I purchase!

the touch isnt out yet and doesnt deliver to ireland, only in the US.

the wireless will work fine on all of them, however you wont really even need it as you can just get the books from your pc onto it!

i just tried to order a kindle from the uk, apparently none of them ship to ireland, what is that about?

...i just tried to order a kindle from the uk, apparently none of them ship to ireland, what is that about?

Daftness isn't it? Something to do with where its registered to and subsequently the books you can buy.

Here's a review of the newest one by the way: http://www.computeractive.co.uk/ca/review/2121968/amazon-kindle-2011-edition-ebook-reader

Got this
    406px-Amazon_Kindle_3.JPG
    + this
    51mhk4oZKzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

for the price of this

Kindle%204.jpg

:)

Nice one.
    Trust me, you will be quite happy if you had of got either when it just comes to reading books.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭molly111

Hi Tar.Aldarion

Where did you get the case - I love it?

Does it have a light?

Molly

Nice one.
    Trust me, you will be quite happy if you had of got either when it just comes to reading books.
    Yep I would have got either in the end but i preferred the hemp case on this one. I was even looking up case reviews :D

I wonder can i read a book and listen to the audio version on this at the same time no?

molly111 wrote: »
    Hi Tar.Aldarion

Where did you get the case - I love it?

Does it have a light?

Molly

It doesn't have a light, I really love this case, I got it from amazon
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eco-Nique-Natural-6-inch-Amazon-Wireless/dp/B003ZUXVSK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321292816&sr=8-1

they have other more expensive similar hemp cases too. It's supposed to make it feel more booklike :pac:

I wonder can i read a book and listen to the audio version on this at the same time no?

Yes.
    It doesn't have a light...

I recommend these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mighty-Bright-Black-Xtraflex-Light/dp/1933622709

Far better than others I have used.

• Advertisement

thanks youve been a good help! she should get that. personally would never want a light myself...with my array of lamps :D

DL1006.jpg

the person i sent the kindle to in the uk didnt know what one was and asked if there was a large amount of liquid in it for her flight home hehehe

Advertisement