Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best vehicle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

A Bicycle does not really count as it is not that fast and provides zero protection.

Stealth is the best protection!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Stealth is the best protection!

Being out of reach and having a boom stick is the best protection.

A bicycle is only stealthy in relation to noise, you are still on the open streets and highly visible

visable but without making any noise, no noise means no attention. besides, fueling a car is a lot harder than fixing a puncture on a bicycle.

visable but without making any noise, no noise means no attention. besides, fueling a car is a lot harder than fixing a puncture on a bicycle.

What about storage/shelter/protection (when you are spotted)/Long range mobility/Speed/Offence?

What about storage/shelter/protection (when you are spotted)/Long range mobility/Speed/Offence?

storage? backpack, sellotape stuff on the bike.
    shelter - dont need any on a bike, it's lightweight enough to throw over a wall while you make a dash for a treehouse.
    protection - stealth: avoiding a confrontation is twice the armor you're ever going to need.
    long range mobility - your body is your fuel, travel as much or as little as you want without raising much attention. 2 minutes cycling at an easy pace is enough to take you out of earshot, nevermind sight. The perfect reconnaissance vehicle.

speed - whatever you can handle yourself. You dont need a ferrari to escape from a zombie(s) you just cycle off.

Offence: ever been hit with a ulock? if you want an offensive vehicle, get a tank.

imo, the bicycle is the vehicle of choice for the zombie apocalypse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

would have to say i dont think bike is that great if your surrounded you cant exactly push your way through and are doomed i tells ya

magnumbud wrote: »
    would have to say i dont think bike is that great if your surrounded you cant exactly push your way through and are doomed i tells ya

If you cycle into a crowd of zombies and get surrounded, you deserve to die!

If you cycle into a crowd of zombies and get surrounded, you deserve to die!

ha not what i meant i mean you go into a shop to get supplies you come back and the street is now over run. if you have a car/truck/tank you can make a run for it and try to get into the vehicle. if you only have a bike outside you are stuck

lol i know :) same can be said for a car/van/tank, if the street is that packed you're boned and need a helicopter on the roof :)

and you should have done some bike recon first instead of just driving up to the shop and stealing those mannequins!

lol i know :) same can be said for a car/van/tank, if the street is that packed you're boned and need a helicopter on the roof :)

and you should have done some bike recon first instead of just driving up to the shop and stealing those mannequins!

no if you get into the vehicle all you have to do is mow down the crowd of zombies

• Advertisement

no if you get into the vehicle all you have to do is mow down the crowd of zombies

if the crowd is so large you cant get through it on a bike, a car wont get much further either. Unless you've a snowplough on the front of it.

if the crowd is so large you cant get through it on a bike, a car wont get much further either. Unless you've a snowplough on the front of it.

ya but the cant bite through class. also i would have put up so metal meshes around windows. alot safer in the car than in the shop

storage? backpack, sellotape stuff on the bike.
    shelter - dont need any on a bike, it's lightweight enough to throw over a wall while you make a dash for a treehouse.
    protection - stealth: avoiding a confrontation is twice the armor you're ever going to need.
    long range mobility - your body is your fuel, travel as much or as little as you want without raising much attention. 2 minutes cycling at an easy pace is enough to take you out of earshot, nevermind sight. The perfect reconnaissance vehicle.

speed - whatever you can handle yourself. You dont need a ferrari to escape from a zombie(s) you just cycle off.

Offence: ever been hit with a ulock? if you want an offensive vehicle, get a tank.

imo, the bicycle is the vehicle of choice for the zombie apocalypse.

Oh I would have a bike too but it would be strapped to my truck/Dreadnaught

Kind sir, may I direct you to
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80286513&postcount=138

Oh I would have a bike too but it would be strapped to my truck/Dreadnaught

lol :)

ya but the cant bite through class. also i would have put up so metal meshes around windows. alot safer in the car than in the shop

I beg to differ :)

From the set of WWZ

I beg to differ :)

From the set of WWZ

he was stupid enough to get out. and didnt break the glass as a zombie :-P

he was stupid enough to get out. and didnt break the glass as a zombie :-P

doesnt look like that to me.

doesnt look like that to me.

didnt see your one jump through the window. still im fairly certain this is a once off and the zombies of my world are the slow stumbling kind not the kind that can run and jump

that's nice, kind of negates your point about being trapped by zombies in that shop though..

that's nice, kind of negates your point about being trapped by zombies in that shop though..
    How? slow moving zombies were trapping people in places a long long time before running zombies started appearing in movies. all the original of the deads for example. resident evil games etc all slow moving zombies well capable of trapping you in a shop with no escape if all you have is a ****ty bike

• Advertisement

And we're going miles off topic here again. In fact, this is a discussion best suited to it's own topic.

Bikes are better than cars :)

And we're going miles off topic here again. In fact, this is a discussion best suited to it's own topic.

Twist your ankle and tell me that

changing the subject as good as admitting defeat :-)

changing the subject as good as admitting defeat :-)

Stay on topic please. You were asked once already. Please read the forum charter.

Edit: Norrie Rugger, multiquoted you meaning to respond to your question but was sidetracked. Yeah, twisted ankle, can still cycle, obviously not as well as one could drive with a broken wrist, but it's possible.

Edit: Norrie Rugger, multiquoted you meaning to respond to your question but was sidetracked. Yeah, twisted ankle, can still cycle, obviously not as well as one could drive with a broken wrist, but it's possible.

OK I make you a deal.
    I will have my dreadnaught and you have the bike, that is strapped to the side of it. You run supply runs and, if you come into trouble and have the Z's chasing you, then you make a direct line to the truck where we will be waiting with the heavy weapons to provide cover.

Best of both worlds.

We prepared boardsies will have to look out for one another, in the aftermath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I would go for an early nineties Izuzu trooper diesel. Every second farmer seems to have one where I'm from so an easy supply of available parts should not be an issue. Plus as mentioned there are plenty diesel tanks littered around the countryside if needs be.

Strapped onto the side I would have one or two cheapie bicycles. Should the 4x4 cease to function or should I need more stealth I would kick it vietcong style and pack all my supplies on a bicycle and keep truckin on. ;)

BicycleSuppliesTrail.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

sell26.2 wrote: »
    petrol shouldn't be a problem at all. think of all the unused cars lying about. just syphon the petrol out of unused cars. there would be unlimited supplies of petrol all over the place. you could drive around with a 50 ton tank and never worry about fuel problems. plus a daily fuel search and retrieval would break up the general monotony of day to day living under the invasion

EXCEPT petrol and diesel have very short "shelf life" before they start to go bad.In some cases less than a year.Not surprising,as they are designed to be used pretty quickly so wht add extra long term storage chemicals??
    Ever leave petrol in a lawn mower over Winter and have to drain the tank in Spring because the thing wont start and the fuel looks waxy and pale??
    Stale petrol..Soo all your fuel be it in underground tanks in garages ,or in car tanks will eventually go bad.
    Unless you get a good supply out and treat it with fuel stabiliser before Z day,your "Road warrior" plans of survival arent going to last long..:(

Syphoning it out of cars...Has anyone TRIED this recently on a new model car[post 1996]?? It is virtually impossible to do anymore with all the safety features built into modern cars like anti roll spillage valves and anti SYPHON devices:D
    Unless you are lugging around some garage equipment,this is going to be a bit of a non option..Sorry!

Might be worth considering four hooves rather than two or four wheels instead.
    A Horse or a "Harse" is usually available around the Irish city and countryside,they can carry a fair ol load,pul a cart or plough at later stages if trained to it.Dont need much fuel apart from grass,some oats and water ,are alot faster than Zs,can reproduce once a year,and when they are too old they make a tasty dinner..[Ask the French!:pac:]

Drawbacks,they can be smelly and dangerous at both ends and uncomfortable in the middle.So you do need to have some experiance of handling them and treating them with RESPECT.[Useful post Z event skill maybe,learn how to ride a horse..Doesnt have to be to RDS show jumping standard]
    Need to have some tack,like a saddle and bits and bridle,although you can learn to ride bareback,and improvise a halter from some old rope.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Syphoning it out of cars...Has anyone TRIED this recently on a new model car[post 1996]?? It is virtually impossible to do anymore with all the safety features built into modern cars like anti roll spillage valves and anti SYPHON devices:D
    Unless you are lugging around some garage equipment,this is going to be a bit of a non option..Sorry!

yep, only last week, i found the handiest way was to lift the back seat and remove the fuel level sensor 2 mins or less work to remove and i only needed 10mm and 12mm spanners to remove the sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Even easier way if you don't intend to use the donor car again is to just slide under it and punch a hole in the tank ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

always liked the look of the Unimog, and a recent post in the Campervan thread (a couple are touring S.America in a converted Unimog http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056793283 ) renewed my interest in them, from a Zombie Apoc point of view.

unimog1.jpgunimog2.jpg

Follow this link to see Unimogs (campers & explorer versions) for sale :

http://www.xor.org.uk/unimog/uksell/uksold.htm

Advertisement