Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pomelo?

Options
  • 19-02-2015 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭

On special offer in Aldi.
    What is it?Where does it come from?and most of all what do you do with it?
    Lidl always have weird fruit I've never heard of as well.

Often tempted to try these things but I'm pretty sure they can't be trusted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

A pomelo is kinda like a big citrus fruit, try and imagine a gigantic grapefruit, and you'll have an idea. I like 'em

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Is this a sequel to the grapefruit thread of a few weeks ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Whilst we're on the subject of strange fruits: Can anyone tell me what durian fruit tastes like?
    I've often spotted them in the Asian Food Market on Fade Street (at the corner before the entrance into George's Arcade) and whilst the smell is a bit off-putting, I'm curious all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Dunnes had pomelo on sale 2 weeks ago and I picked one up.

There is ALOT of work involved in actually getting to the edible parts and its not really worth the efforts. Kinda like a grape fruit but not as bitter, not as sweet as an orange, not particularly juicy either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

I also found it a bit tasteless, stick to the grapefruits for the hit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Honey pomelos are a much less bitter, and bigger version of a grapefruit. They're pretty good imo, put some natural yoghurt over them for breakfast.

Iirc, our everyday oranges are actually a hybrid of the pomelos and mandarin oranges. (been a long time, but I remember this from school)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Wobbly_Legs

McChubbin wrote: »
    Whilst we're on the subject of strange fruits: Can anyone tell me what durian fruit tastes like?
    I've often spotted them in the Asian Food Market on Fade Street (at the corner before the entrance into George's Arcade) and whilst the smell is a bit off-putting, I'm curious all the same.

Durians are supposed to be the most smelly food in the world.
    Lots of videos on youtube of people eating these, personally I wouldnt be too tempted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Durians are supposed to be the most smelly food in the world.
    Lots of videos on youtube of people eating these, personally I wouldnt be too tempted...

they taste like a slimey gone off papaya...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Oh yeah I love a pomelo. I agree with other posters who said it's like a grapefruit but much meatier. It divides up into segments like an orange but the juicy bits are much more firm and you need to peel off the outer skin and the skin of each segment to get to the fruit.

It's a few segments are really filling and a satisfying snack

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Anyone know where you can get Ugli fruit? I think they're a variant of Pomelo, but they had plenty of fruit inside and taste like a cross between an orange and a lime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

McChubbin wrote: »

Some countries have laws against eating those things in public, they're like naturally grown chemical weapons.

Apparently they taste sort of meaty if you can get past the terrible stench.

Advertisement