Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chainsaw cutting crooked

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

I only have limited experience with chain saws but I do know about metallurgy and if you heat previously hardened steel and allow it to cool slowly (as would happen if grinding a saw blade) then the blade will lose its hardness and would blunt in no time at all. Not going to get involved in a discussion about sharpening blades because I'm not well enough informed but heating hardened steel will soften it, no question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

keep going wrote: »
    not cuttingacross your very educational talk about sharpening but think it could be the bar thats at fault .seen it happen before if the bar has worn uneven
    You're right, this would cause it to cut to one side too.
    I must be sharpening chains for over 25 years now.:D
    Everyones an expert eh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

pakalasa wrote: »
    You're right, this would cause it to cut to one side too.
    I must be sharpening chains for over 25 years now.:D
    Everyones an expert eh!!
    and that's the advice I gave way back when. If it's 3/8 chain then up the gauge to .058 from .050 or .063 from .058 but everyone around here thinks they know their stuff.

vincenzolorenzo like a spokesperson in a toothpaste advert says "I'm not a dentist, but...." without having a clue about being bent over a succession of chains that have been previously been sharpened on a grinder getting no bite out of fresh files.

this is the last bit of input I have for this thread.

best tool to sharpen a saw is this:

saw947-500.gif

It's cheap. Will sharpen a chain in half the time of the roller devices others have recommended and will prevent you from going too deep in to the tooth. The roller devices force you to handle the chain too often and you are constantly picking up the roller and moving it on to the next tooth. With this you can sharpen four teeth or more before having to move the chain on the bar in the vice. All this extra moving with the roller device and the admitedly excellent but slow professional bar mount filing guide adds up when you've got a lot of chains to sharpen or a very long bar to sharpen.
    This device when used properly gives the equivalent of a sharpening on a bar mounted guide in less than 50% of the time.
    All that you have to worry about is following the angles shown on the plate of the sharpener.
    Once familiar with this tool you'll spend less time sharpening and more time cutting.
    I would recommend this Oregon product, not ones that look like it from other manufacturers; it's the equivalent of a hairdressers scissors for this job.
    When buying make sure you buy the one which is the right size for the files you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Eleganza wrote: »
    and that's the advice I gave way back when. If it's 3/8 chain then up the gauge to .058 from .050 or .063 from .058 but everyone around here thinks they know their stuff.

vincenzolorenzo like a spokesperson in a toothpaste advert says "I'm not a dentist, but...." without having a clue about being bent over a succession of chains that have been previously been sharpened on a grinder getting no bite out of fresh files.

I must apologise to the great Eleganza. I didn't realise that being 'bent over a succession of chains' changed a simple physical fact. I stand corrected. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

it appears you take no account of undissolved carbides from an uncontrolled cooling process. issue isn't with softness but rather with inconsistency of the carbon steel after being burned in a grinding process.
    took me a while to find the answer and now I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭dipper.meath16

Tree Care Ireland in Carlow does a free workshop every month for a few hours on a Saturday! Follow this link to register, on the right hand side to register. You’re shown all the methods and technique for sharpening, Saw Maintenance, PPE, safety features etc!! They were featured in the farming independent a few weeks ago!

I would seriously recommend it for the part time user looking for tips! :D

http://treecareireland.blogspot.com/

Advertisement